Web/Client Publisher Files

Treeman

I have a Dell 4100 P3 and on this box I get the 32kb error and it can't be deleted and kb's increase it seems at first geometrically. When XP first came out I phoned MS and they where not able to give me an answer as were the files where located. The only mention I ever saw where on Japanese MS site and since have been removed a lot of Jp machines also had this problem. This is an unnecessary service for most people and can be switched of by going to Administrative Tools > Services > Webclient.

Thanks for trying to help.

I've searched everywhere and can't get the answer to this question either!

Must be someone out there that's curious, and smart enough to figure this one out.

I'll post back if I find anything more.

Treeman :)

At Black Vipers page

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#WebClient

he has this

WebClient

I have not found a reason to have this service running. I have a hunch that this is going to be required for Microsoft's ".Net Software as a service." For security reasons, I recommend for this service to be disabled. If some MS products, such as MSN Explorer, Media Player, NetMeeting or Messenger fail to provide a particular function, try to enable this service to see if it is "required" for your configuration.

Default XP Home: Automatic

Default XP Pro: Automatic

Safe Setting: Disabled

Log on as: NT AUTHORITY\LocalService

Dependencies:

What service WebClient needs to function properly:

WebDav Client Redirector

What other service require WebClient to function properly:

None

I heard some where else that this service is used for working on web pages remotely (anoyances.org)???

I don't believe that they exist in a special place but are just counting files differently in the cache.

If you turn off the service the webcleint..... check box in the ms diskclean will disappear.

What exactly are you trying to do?

User experience for the Web Publishing and Order Prints wizards is similar, but the entry point for each wizard differs. For the Web Publishing wizard, a task is available on the left hand pane in most folders in the Windows XP system. The actual text changes slightly based on context, but if the user selects a file, the text “Publish this file to the web” will be displayed. Clicking on this text will start the wizard; selecting Next presents a choice of services. After a choice is made, the specified entry is connected to the site and the first of several HTML pages is downloaded.

This HTML page is a single page in the wizard, exposed in the center pane, as with any wizard page. Through methods exposed in the windows.external object, the site can control where the Back, Next and Cancel buttons lead. Users might be asked to specify a folder to which they want to copy files, or the name of a new web site they wish to create. Eventually, after a user has completed these selections, the site can call a final Next method that will begin the upload. This command returns control to the wizard, which then begins the upload process, complete with thumbnails and progress. After the upload is completed, the website can specify a URL where the user can go after the wizard is closed.

The process is similar for the Order Prints wizard, but it is launched from any picture folder, such as My Pictures, by a task called “Order prints online.” The services from which the user chooses are different, obviously; yet users can step through a process like the one in Web Publishing to select items such as print sizes, and to fill out credit card information. At the end, as with the Web Publishing wizard, the site calls a final Next command and upload begins. The user can then exit the wizard. Most importantly for both wizards, users have complete, end-to-end experiences.

After the user has stepped through the pages of your service, you’ll want to upload the files. This is done in one of two ways: using WebDAV or using HTTP Post. The first method uses the new, improved file system redirector for the WebDAV protocol in Windows XP, and requires a WebDAV-enabled web server to accept the backend. (IIS5.0 and current versions of Apache support WebDAV and can be used here.) The other method is a multi-part HTTP Post. This is more common than WebDAV and, being well understood, is used by most sites today. However, WebDAV also allows you to expose a user’s share through a file system redirector in Windows XP. The Web Publishing Wizard will place a folder in My Network Places on the user’s machine after a successful publishing that maps to your site. This introduces a new way for users to interact and store their data, one that works seamlessly with any program that saves files in the regular manner on Windows.

After uploading—you’re done. You’ve built a site that users can launch from an appropriate place, navigate easily and quickly, and upload their files to your service—for printing, serving, or just storing.

Thank you George27 and Marsden,

At least I now have a complete understanding of how and why there is a feature called Web/Clent! (MS doesn't tout this item very much)

The reason I asked was because of a darker problem, whereas using the Disk Clean-up utility in XP, it generates an error message for my client involving mmc.exe

The mmc error is displayed, and none of the Web/Client files are deleted.

It's got me stumped. (I figured I could manually delete these files)

Thanks for your in-depth explanation of how the Web/Client works.

Maybe when I wake up tomorrow, the solution will unravel it'self.

Treeman