Re-Inventing the wheel

DerRickster

I'm looking through a lot of these posts concerning implenting the Hotfixes with XPCREATE. I have a really bad habit of making things harder than it actually is when it comes to programing.

Here is my question. I've copied all the hot fixes into their prospective folders. What now?...Do i edit the winnt.sif? cmdlines.txt? what do I need to edit it? How do I implement the switches for the hotfixes? Or does XPCreate does that automatically.

Please point me in the right way.

:) <--- Definitely not going koo-koo for Cocoa Puffs!

once all your hotfixes are in their right folders, OPEN XPCREATE.INI, and on the line that says SOURCE, put the drive letter and colon to your XP CD (Original one), then just double click XPCREATE.CMD, it does the rest.

As for the number of corners....millions. They're just really really small.

You know....once I posted this thread I opened the xpcreate.cmd to take a look and realized that the switches were passed through arguments. :) .

Ok. Lets talk about IE6sp1. I read up and down 2k create and found a lot of entries that created more questions than answers. I have already used IE.EXE and placed IE & IE6GO cab files in the SVC-PRE folder.

Here is my question. How do I install it silently with the the standard Type II hotfix switches: /Q:A /R:N. ???

Do I use the CMDFILE.TXT? I'm assuming the cmd batch file automatically does a call function to the txt file.

[COMMANDS]

;i don't know what i'm doing here :rolleyes:

IE.EXE /Q:A /R:N

IE6GO.EXE

And what about DX9.

you have IE and IE6GO in the right place, but if you had actualy run XPCreate before asking questions, it would answer quite a few of them.

the PRE folder gets the appropriate fixes.

You don't use CMDLINES.TXT

as for DX9, it's also on the website....

SVC-PRE 
DX9NTOPK.EXE (DirectX 9b OEM Preinstallation Kit Version) 11,751,280 Bytes
IE6.EXE (Packaged IE6 SP1 Installer)  
IE6GO.EXE (IE6.EXE Helper) 64,000 Bytes

That's from the Current Hotfixes page on the XPCREATE website. DX9NTOPK.EXE is DX9. Just download it off of unattended.msfn.org

Here is my question. I've copied all the hot fixes into their prospective folders. What now?...Do i edit the winnt.sif? cmdlines.txt? what do I need to edit it?
XPCREATE doesn't require that you edit winnt.sif or cmdlines.txt. You only need to edit these files to ensure they accomplish what you need.

My winnt.sif file contains my Admin password, Product Key, etc... The information within the winnt.sif file is what make the CD an unattended CD. It's not required by XPCREATE.

My cmdlines.txt only contains the following lines:

[Commands]

runonce.cmd

That's it. I use runonce.cmd to install additional application, such as Acrobat, after XP has been installed. This file is also not required by XPCREATE. It simply allows you to install additional applications, import registry setting, etc..

Both files should be created and edited with notepad.

How do I implement the switches for the hotfixes? Or does XPCreate does that automatically.

You don't. XPCREATE adds the switches for you. This is why you must put the updates into particular folders.

Put the files in the directories, edit one or two lines in XPCREATE.INI, and push the button. Once htat works, then go on to step two. Everything you need is on the Web Site: it has worked for numerous others!

First of all....thank you for your patience with me. :) To make a long story short I had to download a fresh copy of Media Player 9 to make XPCREATE successful in slipstreaming all the hotfixes and updates without any errors.

I just installed virtual machine and I'm going through a test run. The only issue I foresee is that I have my boot/system drives are on my SCSI HD and I have a IDE HD for storage purposes. Windows setup first idetifies the IDE HD as HD 0 and then my SCSI HDs as HD 1 & 2 respectively. Virtual Machine doesn't have options to specify that type of hardware configuration. I'm going to tinker with the program more

Do I need to specify UnattendedInstall="NO"

and/or temporary disable my IDE HD by the BIOS so I don't accidently format it?

Autoformatting and Instlaling to a drive, is done entirely through the WINNT.SIF file. I personally leave those options out, so when during the TXTSETUP phase of install (the dos blue screens) it asks me what partition, and allows me to delete single partitions and whatnot and then select what partition to install to. The only problem though, is that you can't change drive letters at the same time :) So you IDE might come up as C: and your SCSI as D: E: respectively.

I usually dont delete any partitions...just reformat the one that I install Wind2k on. It usually leaves the existing Drive letter assignment the way I want it. What I did change was the Autopartition thingy.

i also have my os on scsi drive and storage on ide all i did was disable the auto format in the winnt sif file so i get the blue scree where i pick which drive i wish to install on and then just walk away