TEXTMODE MassStorageDrivers Method

trainee

@major: well did you try it? Without seeing the txtsetup.oem I wouldn't have known that all 3 were listed. I would use the entries they have for your unattend.txt file, but then I would also add the line I suggested. I believe the instructions they provide are for network based installs which require the changes listed in this guide to work for CD-based installs.

The generic IDE driver is usually important to have for installation following reboot. You should probably try it both ways, but I still advise you to include it to give yourself the best possible shot at success. Also still copy all of the files to the directories indicated in the guide. If it doesnt work it most probably won't be able to even find your hard drives, let alone format them.

(I tried to include many keywords to help searches.)
Welp, I made it work, thanks mostly to this guide.

I've successfully included the Via "8237 Integrated Serial ATA RAID controller" drivers in my Windows 2000 CD. I no longer need to hit F6, no more driver disk. The SATA controller is on my Abit KV7 motherboard and the HDD is a Maxtor Y120M0 (if it somehow matters).

Here's what I did (as best as I can remember).

[b]*[/b][b]Copied Files[/b][b]*[/b]
I copied the following files to my [b]ROOT\I386\$OEM$[/b] and [b]ROOT\$OEM$\TEXTMODE[/b] folders:
[b]TXTSETUP.OEM
VIAMRAID.CAT
VIAMRAID.INF
VIAMRAID.SYS[/b]
(After extracting the [url="http://www.viaarena.com/downloads/drivers/RAID/VIA_RAID_V410a.zip"]file downloaded off the Via Arena website[/url] the [b]txtsetup.oem[/b] file was in [b]EXTRACTION-ROOT\DriverDisk[/b] and [b]viamraid.cat[/b] , [b]viamraid.inf[/b] , and [b]viamraid.sys[/b] were in [b]EXTRACTION-ROOT\DriverDisk\RAID\Win2000[/b] .)

[b]*[/b][b]Modified both TXTSETUP.OEM files[/b][b]*[/b]
I also modified both [b]TXTSETUP.OEM[/b] files, I'm pretty sure this needed to be done... In the [b][disks][/b] section I replaced the path after the last " [b],[/b] " (comma) with " [b]\[/b] " (backslash).
The original [disks] section looked like this:
[quote][Disks]d1 = "VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette", \RAID\winxp\VIAMRAID.SYS, [b]\RAID\winxp[/b]
d2 = "VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette", \RAID\win2000\VIAMRAID.SYS, [b]\RAID\win2000[/b]
d3 = "VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette", \RAID\Winnt40\VIAMRAID.SYS, [b]\RAID\Winnt40[/b]
d4 = "VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette", \RAID\2003ia32\VIAMRAID.SYS, [b]\RAID\2003ia32[/b]
#d9 = "VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette", \RAID\x64\VIAMRAID.SYS, [b]\RAID\x64[/b]

d5 = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller Driver", \PIDE\winxp\viapdsk.sys, [b]\PIDE\winxp[/b]
d6 = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller Driver", \PIDE\win2000\viapdsk.sys, [b]\PIDE\win2000[/b]
d7 = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller Driver", \PIDE\winnt40\viapdsk.sys, [b]\PIDE\winnt40[/b]
d8 = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller Driver", \PIDE\2003ia32\viapdsk.sys, [b]\PIDE\2003ia32[/b]
[/quote]
Now the [disks] section looks like this:
[quote][Disks]d1 = "VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette", \RAID\winxp\VIAMRAID.SYS, [b]\[/b]
d2 = "VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette", \RAID\win2000\VIAMRAID.SYS, [b]\[/b]
d3 = "VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette", \RAID\Winnt40\VIAMRAID.SYS, [b]\[/b]
d4 = "VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette", \RAID\2003ia32\VIAMRAID.SYS, [b]\[/b]
#d9 = "VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette", \RAID\x64\VIAMRAID.SYS, [b]\[/b]

d5 = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller Driver", \PIDE\winxp\viapdsk.sys, [b]\[/b]
d6 = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller Driver", \PIDE\win2000\viapdsk.sys, [b]\[/b]
d7 = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller Driver", \PIDE\winnt40\viapdsk.sys, [b]\[/b]
d8 = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller Driver", \PIDE\2003ia32\viapdsk.sys, [b]\[/b]
[/quote]

[b]*[/b][b]Modified the WINNT.SIF file[/b][b]*[/b]
I added the following lines to the bottom of my WINNT.SIF file in my I386 directory.
(Yes, it works without the driver filenames, at least in my case.)
[quote][MassStorageDrivers][b]"VIA RAID Controller(Windows 2000)"[/b] = "OEM"
"IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller" = "RETAIL"

[OEMBootFiles]
TXTSETUP.OEM
[/quote]
BTW, I got the string: [b]"VIA RAID Controller(Windows 2000)"[/b] from this section of the txtsetup.oem file:
[quote][scsi]VIARAID_MULTIPLE_2003IA32 = "VIA RAID Controller(Windows 2003 IA32)"
VIARAID_MULTIPLE_XP = "VIA RAID Controller(Windows XP)"
VIARAID_MULTIPLE_2K = [b]"VIA RAID Controller(Windows 2000)"[/b]
VIARAID_MULTIPLE_NT = "VIA RAID Controller(Windows NT4)"
#VIARAID_MULTIPLE_2003K864 = "VIA RAID Controller(Windows 2003 AMDx86-64)"

VIAPDSK_VT4149_2003IA32 = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller(Windows 2003IA32)"
VIAPDSK_VT4149_XP = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller(Windows XP)"
VIAPDSK_VT4149_2K = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller(Windows 2000)"
VIAPDSK_VT4149_NT = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller(Windows NT4)"
[/quote]

I think that's about it... (I'll check this thread periodicly for a couple weeks, so if you have any questions for me, ask them soon).

[quote name='W2Kuser' date='Feb 11 2005, 08:16 AM']Distribution folder means install over network and not CD??

We must stil use ? :unsure:

* I386\$OEM$\TEXTMODE\
    * I386\$OEM$\
[right][post="270350"][/post][/right][/quote]

I hope I understand your question...

When they say "distribution folders" they're talking about the $OEM$ directories. The $OEM$ folders are used to "distribute" other files. (I think so anyway)

• 3 months later...
[quote name='Bâshrat the Sneaky' date='May 26 2004, 06:26 AM']Interesting post!

One remark, in fact an addition:

[quote name='trainee']driver.cat (I believe this is the PnP information)[/quote]

I'm quite sure this is the WHQL license.

Further no remarks! Nice guide!
[right][post="134739"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

Does this Method work in Multi-Boot Unattened CD ?

• 3 months later...

**DOH** having bad day

just to clear up a few points raised in this post... from experience

$OEM$\TEXTMODE\
Is the only place you need to add the files for installation from a CD

*.cat files are for WHQL

[b]dsik1[/b] refers to a "tagfile" not a directory and is required to identify the correct diskette is inserted when ask for by setup. For correctness it should be included on the CD but will work if not.

Under the [MassStorageDrivers] heading in the winnt.sif file you have to include "IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller" = "RETAIL" else you will get a BSOD at some point after first reboot. The other enteries MUST match those take from the TXTsetup.oem file.

The backslah at the end of this line is important d1 = "NVIDIA RAID DRIVER (SCSI)",\disk1,\

this is why

Directory = \
Directory on the diskette where the installation files are located. The directory must be specified as a full path from the root and must not specify a drive. This must be a period if you have partitioned or formatted your hard drive with (FAT) or FAT32 file system and you initiate setup with Winnt.exe from DOS or a backslash If you have partitioned or formatted your hard drive with the NTFS and you initiate Windows Setup with Winnt32.exe (like with an uacd), You will get an error if you get it wrong!

Error message
illegal or missing file type specified in [Files.scsi.yourhardware] is as a result of a known issue - see [url="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275334/"]KB275334[/url]
[quote]Okay you need to open up your txtsetup.oem file (notepad or any text editor will do) and change any reference to "DLL = " to "INF = " (thanks to rcordorica for figuring this out). For some reason textsetup chokes on these entries. These entries should be easy to find and replace in the file. Save the modified file and close it. Again if you don't have any "DLL = " references in your txtsetup.oem then you don't need to change anything and you read this entire section of the guide for nothing[/quote]
distibution folders refer to the directory structure used to carry out unattended CD installs or installs from a network share. The structure is identical apart from one important fact, on a uacd the distribution folders are not under the i386 dirctory but are on a network share.

I hope this does not come over wrong but am in a rush :huh:

Any how did a complete guide to the txtsetup.oem and what each bit means etc if any1 is interested i will post it, as you can install other drivers this way! I even think another member has an extensive post on how to do it

hope this is helpful

Edited by berrick

• 3 weeks later...
Well well well,

the time has finally come to integrate some MassStorageDrivers to my CD! I have some notebook with Intel SATA controller and I need to add theses drivers to my installation CD.

So I took a look at this whole topic and unfortunatly, it doesn't work for me.

Here is what I've got:
[b]txtsetup.oem[/b]
[quote][Disks]disk1 = "Intel Application Accelerator driver", iaStor.sys, \

[Defaults]
scsi = iaStor_ICH6R

;----------- Component Section -----------

[scsi]
iaStor_ICH6R = "Intel® 82801FR SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH6R)"
iaAHCI_ICH6R = "Intel® 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH6R)"
iaAHCI_ICH6M = "Intel® 82801FBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH6M)"
iaStor_ICH5R = "Intel® 82801ER SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH5R)"
iaStor_ICH5RHR = "Intel® 6300ESB SATA RAID Controller"

;-------------------------------------------

[Files.scsi.iaStor_ICH6R]
driver = disk1, iaStor.sys, iaStor
inf = disk1, iaStor.inf
catalog = disk1, iaStor.cat

[Files.scsi.iaAHCI_ICH6R]
inf = disk1, iaAHCI.inf
catalog = disk1, iaAHCI.cat

[Files.scsi.iaAHCI_ICH6M]
inf = disk1, iaAHCI.inf
catalog = disk1, iaAHCI.cat

[Files.scsi.iaStor_ICH5R]
inf = disk1, iaStor.inf

[Files.scsi.iaStor_ICH5RHR]
inf = disk1, iaStor.inf

;-------------------------------------------

[Config.iaStor]
value = "", tag, REG_DWORD, 1b
value = "", ErrorControl, REG_DWORD, 1
value = "", Group, REG_SZ, "SCSI miniport"
value = "", Start, REG_DWORD, 0
value = "", Type, REG_DWORD, 1

;-------------------------------------------------------

[HardwareIds.scsi.iaStor_ICH6R]
id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104","iaStor"

[HardwareIds.scsi.iaAHCI_ICH6R]
id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0106","iaStor"

[HardwareIds.scsi.iaAHCI_ICH6M]
id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0106","iaStor"

[HardwareIds.scsi.iaStor_ICH5R]
id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&CC_0104","iaStor"

[HardwareIds.scsi.iaStor_ICH5RHR]
id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25B0&CC_0104","iaStor"[/quote]

[b]winnt.sif[/b]
[quote][MassStorageDrivers]"IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller" = "RETAIL"
"Intel® 82801FR SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH6R)" = "OEM"
"Intel® 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH6R)" = "OEM"
"Intel® 82801FBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH6M)" = "OEM"
"Intel® 82801ER SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH5R)" = "OEM"
"Intel® 6300ESB SATA RAID Controller" = "OEM"

[OEMBootFiles]
txtsetup.oem
iaahci.inf
iaahci.cat
iastor.cat
iastor.inf
iastor.sys[/quote]

Of course, I added the files to \$OEM$\TEXTMODE and \I386\$OEM$ folder

[b]Here's the error I get during setup:[/b] (translated from french)
[quote]The txtsetup.oem file has caused an unexpected error (18) at line 1747 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.

Press any key to continue[/quote]also, after pressing any key a few times, I get this one:
[quote]The Entry

"IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller"

doesn't exist in the unattended installation script file in the [SCSI] section of the INF txtsetup.sif

The installation program cannot continue
Press any key to quit[/quote]

Keep in mind I have a multiboot CD and the path to the source file is:
\SYSTEME\XPSP2FR... this means my $OEM$ and I386 folders are there and not at the root of the CD

Any help? Edited by Incroyable HULK

[quote name='Incroyable HULK' post='400713' date='Oct 7 2005, 12:33 PM'][b]winnt.sif[/b]
[quote][MassStorageDrivers]
"IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller" = "RETAIL"
"Intel® 82801FR SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH6R)" = "OEM"
"Intel® 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH6R)" = "OEM"
"Intel® 82801FBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH6M)" = "OEM"
"Intel® 82801ER SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH5R)" = "OEM"
"Intel® 6300ESB SATA RAID Controller" = "OEM"

[OEMBootFiles]
txtsetup.oem
iaahci.inf
iaahci.cat
iastor.cat
iastor.inf
iastor.sys[/quote]

Keep in mind I have a multiboot CD and the path to the source file is:
\SYSTEME\XPSP2[color="#FF0000"]FR[/color]... this means my $OEM$ and I386 folders are there and not at the root of the CD

Any help?
[/quote]

As you build an uA CD with French language, you [b]must[/b] use the french string from your txtsetup.sif to add in WINNT.SIF
go back to [url="http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=19792&view=findpost&p=137722"]post #7[/url] and you will get the french string (avec l'accent circonflexe) :hello:

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

Thanks Bilou but this doesn't solve the problem completly... altought I don't get the second error anymore

[b]Here's the error I get during setup: [/b](translated from french)
[quote]The txtsetup.oem file has caused an unexpected error (18) at line 1747 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.

Press any key to continue[/quote]also, after pressing any key a few times, I get this one: (translated from french)
[quote]The file given by the manufacturer that setup is trying to use is corrupt or invalid:

Line 1 contain a syntax error.

The setup program cannot continue.
To quit the setup program, press F3[/quote]

:}

[quote name='Incroyable HULK' post='401140' date='Oct 8 2005, 01:02 PM']Thanks Bilou but this doesn't solve the problem completly... altought I don't get the second error anymore[/quote]

Would you like to try this method described [url="http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=25515&view=findpost&p=176587"]here[/url]

It will skip the possible issue with your multiboot CD which doesn't use standard \I386 path for source.

If you don't plan to add multiple MassStorage drivers to your multibootcd, it takes less than 2 mn to do the dosnet.inf and txtsetup.sif editing and add the compressed binary file to the source.

for the [SCSI] section of TXTSETUP.SIF, use a single generic string for description:
[code]iaStor = "Intel RAID/AHCI SATA storage controller"[/code] Edited by Bilou_Gateux

Well, I think I'll consider using the method described in the "official" guide...
[url="http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/drivers/raid.htm"]http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/drivers/raid.htm[/url]

To thing I liked about the method in this topic is that I didn't have to edit any other file than winnt.sif and I didn't have to directly put any files in the I386 folder...

[size=4][b]OK! I think I got it![/b][/size]

Since I am multibooting, I must add the $OEM$ folder which contains the drivers to the BOOT folder (not inside I386).

It seems to be working under simulation... I'll test it on a real computer tomorrow. I can even "see" setup copying iaStor.sys during the installation process.

:hello:

Since my last post in this topic i have tried unsuccesfully to create another uacd using this method..... (M$ make me a fibber again!!). I tried everything still no go, so i checked M$ web site and found this interesting article [url="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;234536"]"You cannot perform an unattended installation of mass storage drivers when you run the Setup program from the Windows CD"[/url]. This would certianly confirm why the method described here seems so hit n miss when used from CD.

The only succesful repeatable method I have found from UACD is the txtsetup.sif method.

[url="http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/drivers/raid.htm"]http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/drivers/raid.htm[/url] this method mainly or setup a network share then this method works. Bare in mind most modern mobo's will boot from sata drive just like if using IDE.

You only need the raid drivers loaded if you using a raid level on drives your booting from

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if someone mentionned this but I tried this method with Windows XP x64 Edition and it doesn't work. :angry:

I mean, if you provide some drivers, setup will load the files but will halt a bit later telling you it was unable to find any hard disk. Maybe it would work on a machine which trully need the extra drivers you added but it doesn't work under simulation (using Intel x64 Raid Drivers under VMware 5.5 Beta).

Edited by Incroyable HULK