Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

TEXTMODE MassStorageDrivers Method

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

rcordorica

rcordorica

Windows Hacker

• 26 posts
  • Joined 10-August 04
alright, i just found the email.... I'd be happy to test it out for you. Right now I am visiting home (until sunday) and I have access to the 3112. But the 3112 is already fixed in Bashrat's driverpack, so I don't know if that is necessary now.

At college I have access to the 3114 and NVRAID which Bashrat's driverpack doesn't work with. So those are good canidates.

If it's a simple script, or java language I might be able to help somewhat. Sorry about that message, i meant no offense by it.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

trainee

trainee

ThunderWalker

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 04-May 04
@rcordorica: no offense taken at all, the guide really needs to be updated. As far as a sticky goes thats bashrat's department. Hopefully if we can get this program to work, M2 will be extremely easy to use for a wide range of people.

We can discuss more about the code via email or PM, I'm hoping to draw on your expertise in validating the output of the program (ie. does it make the correct directories?, copy the correct files?, and write the correct winnt.sif/textsetup.oem entries?). I'm debugging something for work right now so I may not have a chance to get it to you for a couple of days though...
Posted Image

rcordorica

rcordorica

Windows Hacker

• 26 posts
  • Joined 10-August 04
i just checked the Nlite forum, and guess what... Nuhi has started working on a driver integration (textmode method). He already has a beta program for it thats works in some instances (although I don't believe he has tested it all the way, like trying to actually reinstall a system; because if done incorrectly, then there will be problems, like the GUI errors). anyways, i'll email/pm you when i get the chance.

DisabledTrucker

DisabledTrucker

The truck or you is disabled?

• PipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Joined 02-July 04
Ok, as I have mentioned in other threads, I have a Chaintech 7NJS Zenith, which will also use the MSI drivers, much the same as other boards, the MSI ones are just better.

I have done all kinds of different ways of doing these drivers, (including but not limited to putting the driver entries into the Txtsetup.sif file, which is what I am trying to avoid here, even it does not work that way.) Now from what I have gathered from reading M$ own documents, you have to put your files in a couple places:
$OEM$\Textmode\ (copy all files here from driver folder, remove them from any WinXP folder, but not subfolders within the WinXP folder, you will need those in your textmode folder, (replace folder name for your O/S.))
ie: $OEM$\Textmode\raidtool is fine but $OEM$\Textmode\WinXP\raidtool isn't.
$OEM$\Inf (copy *.inf files here)
$OEM$\$$\System32\ (copy any other files here not listed elsewhere from Textmode folder, such as *.exe, *.nvu, etc.)
$OEM$\$$\System32\dllcache (make hidden and copy *.dll files in here)
$OEM$\$$\System32\Drivers (copy *.sys files here)
Remove any *.txt files as they shouldn't be needed especially readme's.
Now make sure you dont include any internal folders from your driver set. For example if your download includes a WinXP folder pull out the files from that folder and put them all into your Textmode folder, your going to edit your Txtsetup.oem file to make it work correctly. If you have a Disk1 file without an extension, or a disk1.tag file, or something to that sort, make sure it's in the Textmode folder. Now place your Txtsetup.oem file there as well, then open it cause you need to make sure it reads similar to:
;textsetup.oem
[Disks]
;includes settings for NVRaid, NVATA, as well as Promise Fasttrak 376 from MSI.
;For NTFS use (WinNT32.sif):
    d1 = "NVIDIA RAID DRIVER (SCSI)",\disk1,\Textmode\
;For Fat use (WinNT.sif):
    d2 = "NVIDIA RAID DRIVER (SCSI)",\disk1,.\Textmode\
    d3 = "Promise FastTrak 376/378 Driver Diskette",\fasttx2k,\Textmode\
    d4 = "Promise FastTrak 376/378 Driver Diskette",\fasttx2k,.\Textmode\
    d5 = "Promise SATA378 Driver Diskette", \ulsata,\Textmode\
    d6 = "Promise SATA378 Driver Diskette", \ulsata,.\Textmode\
[Defaults]
    scsi = RAIDCLASS
    scsi = FastTrak_TX2K_xp
[scsi]
     RAIDCLASS = "NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER (required)"
     BUSDRV = "NVIDIA NForce Storage Controller (required)"
     UlSata_xp   = "WinXP Promise SATA378 (tm) Controller", UlSata
     FastTrak_TX2K_xp   = "WinXP Promise FastTrak 376/378 (tm) Controller", fasttx2k
[Files.scsi.RAIDCLASS]
     driver  = d1,nvraid.sys,RAIDCLASS
     inf     = d1,nvraid.inf
     dll     = d1,nvraidco.dll
     catalog = d1,nvraid.cat
     driver  = d2,nvraid.sys,RAIDCLASS
     inf     = d2,nvraid.inf
     dll     = d2,nvraidco.dll
     catalog = d2,nvraid.cat
[Files.scsi.BUSDRV]
     driver = d1,nvatabus.sys,BUSDRV
     inf    = d1, nvatabus.inf
     dll    = d1,idecoi.dll
     catalog = d1, nvata.cat
     driver = d2,nvatabus.sys,BUSDRV
     inf    = d2, nvatabus.inf
     dll    = d2,idecoi.dll
     catalog = d2, nvata.cat
[Files.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_xp]
     driver = d3, fasttx2k.sys, fasttx2k
     dll    = d3, ptipbmf.dll
     inf    = d3, fasttx2k.inf
     catalog= d3, fasttx2k.cat
     driver = d4, fasttx2k.sys, fasttx2k
     dll    = d4, ptipbmf.dll
     inf    = d4, fasttx2k.inf
     catalog= d4, fasttx2k.cat
[Files.scsi.UlSata_xp]
     driver = d5, UlSata.sys, UlSata
     dll    = d5, ptipbm.dll
     inf    = d5, UlSata.inf
     catalog= d5, UlSata.cat
     driver = d6, UlSata.sys, UlSata
     dll    = d6, ptipbm.dll
     inf    = d6, UlSata.inf
     catalog= d6, UlSata.cat
[Config.RAIDCLASS]
[Config.BUSDRV]
[Config.UlSata]
    value = "", Tag, REG_DWORD, 1
[Config.fasttx2k]
[HardwareIds.scsi.RAIDCLASS]
    id = "GenNvRaidDisk","nvraid"
    id = "*_NVRAIDBUS","nvraid"
[HardwareIds.scsi.BUSDRV]
    id = "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_008E", "nvatabus"
    id = "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0085", "nvatabus"
    id = "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00D5", "nvatabus"
    id = "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00EE", "nvatabus"
    id = "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00E3", "nvatabus"
    id = "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00E5", "nvatabus"
    id = "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0035", "nvatabus"
    id = "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0036", "nvatabus"
    id = "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_003E", "nvatabus"
    id = "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0053", "nvatabus"
    id = "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054", "nvatabus"
    id = "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0055", "nvatabus"
[HardwareIds.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_xp]
    id="PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3376", "fasttx2k"
    id="PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373", "fasttx2k"
[HardwareIds.scsi.UlSata_xp]
    id = "PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373","UlSata"
Now make sure in your WinNT.sif file you have:
;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
    AutoPartition=No
    MsDosInitiated="0"
    UnattendedInstall="Yes"
[Unattended]
    DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
    NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
    DUStopOnError=Yes
    Filesystem=*
    ForceHALDetection=Yes
    KeyboardLayout=US
    OverwriteOemFilesOnUpgrade=No
    OemFilesPath=".\$OEM$\"
    OemPnPDriversPath="PNPDriver";"PNPDriver\AudioDrv";"PNPDriver\AudioUtl";"PNPDriver\Display";"PNPDriver\Ethernet";"PNPDriver\GART";"PNPDriver\MemCtl";"PNPDriver\Modem";"PNPDriver\Mouse";"PNPDriver\Printer";"PNPDriver\SMBus";"PNPDriver\UPS";"PNPDriver\Video"
;Only need OemPnPDriversPath, if you have PNP Drivers set up to install, if you want to have the stuff you copy to the hard drive using the $OEM$ folder, you can place that in i386 and make the above path: ".\i386\$OEM$\" without the quotes, and when the O/S is done installing it's supposed to remove the folders for you, though not even that way worked when trying to install these drivers.
    OemSkipEula=Yes
    OemPreinstall=Yes
    OEMSkipWelcome=1
    TargetPath=\WINDOWS
    Unattendmode=ProvideDefault 
;In case later I need to change settings for different computer, can be several different settings, FullyUnattended is most used in forum, others are DefaultHide (default setting), GuiAttended, and ReadOnly.
    UnattendSwitch=Yes
    WaitForReboot=No

...Only Neccessary lines listed here...

[MassStorageDrivers]
    "NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER (required)"=OEM
    "NVIDIA NForce Storage Controller (required)"=OEM
    "WinXP   Promise SATA378 (tm) Controller"=OEM
    "WinXP   Promise FastTrak 376/378 (tm) Controller"=OEM
    "IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller"=RETAIL
[OEMBootFiles]
    txtsetup.oem
    nvraid.sys
    nvraidco.dll
    NvAtaBus.sys
    idecoi.dll
    ulsata.sys
    ptipbm.dll
    fasttx2k.sys
    ptipbmf.dll
    nvraid.inf
    nvatabus.inf
    ULSata.inf
    Fasttx2k.inf
    nvata.cat
    nvraid.cat
    fasttx2k.cat
    ulsata.cat
I have also figured out that you need to set up all your drivers, other files, and anything else your adding to your UXPCD prior to doing your WinNT.sif file from SetupManager, this will give you all the $Restore$ files you will need to make and in them it will automatically rename all the files and paths that you will need to go back and rename so they will be recognized on the CD. Once you have opened each of those files and noted what names in the folder they are in need changing and change those names, you are ready to burn your CD, if you do not do this step, Windows XP will miss a lot of the files, or your CD writer program will attempt to rename them incorrectly, prior to burning the files. (Roxio version 6 was severly bad about doing this, even with a regular WinXP disk, after you already clicked the "Burn" button, and if you cancelled it wouldn't let you burn the disk. If you didn't change the names and add the $Restore$ file with the names inserted in them in the proper folders, XP wouldn't find them later!)

Now according to M$'s obscure instructions on this, under Windows XP, it should work, but to this point I keep getting that dreaded error 18 in line 1747 error, which is driving me up the friggen wall... I should also mention that I have tested these drivers and they work perfectly when using them through F-6, although the only one which loads is the Fasttrak at this point. The NForce, I have never tried to do prior to loading the operating system before, but the fasttrak should be the one which takes as it's necessary for the SATA drives to be recognized with my motherboard. Alas, to my dismay, none of these drivers either take nor will work when trying to do this through unattended. Yes, I have tried every way mentioned so far in these threads, but I still haven't gotten them to work.
Matthew 22:36-40

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the law?" And he, (Jesus,) said to him, "You shall love the Lord Your GOD with all your heart and all your soul and with all your mind. This is the greatest and first commandment. And the second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets."

DisabledTrucker

DisabledTrucker

• PipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Joined 02-July 04
I've considered using this method: XP Basic CD Unattended SATA/RAID Install , How to avoid hitting F6 for CD Install. , but I don't particualarly want it set up this way as I need for the entire CD to be there for other computers I may use this on. All I want is to be able to slipstream the mass storage drivers and have them work when installing to my other system. I have even tried using that method and sort of integrating it into the regular UXPCD that I am trying to make, but that doesn't work either. I am about to give up on getting these things to work correctly, and just hope that my floppy drives will hold up until M$ gets off their a$$es and does away with the floppy drive altogether for installations, and fixes their unattended files.

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the law?" And he, (Jesus,) said to him, "You shall love the Lord Your GOD with all your heart and all your soul and with all your mind. This is the greatest and first commandment. And the second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets."

prathapml

prathapml

Follow the rules please :-)

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
Hey, you don't need the floppy.
I dumped it long ago.

You can use Bashrat the Sneaky's driver-packs, to slipstream the mass storage drivers. Or, atleast the instructions there would be helpful for your purpose. Or you can use nLite.
Posted ImageCheers !!!   Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

DisabledTrucker

DisabledTrucker

• PipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Joined 02-July 04
I've tried using Bâshrat the Sneaky's driver packs, the problem lies in the the included Realtek drivers that are included with it, (so I don't use them because they are incompatible with my system,) as well as his instructions I have tried, only to recieve an error that it's either looking for some line 1787 in txtsetup.oem, or it will give an error that the drives cannot be found, either way it's not working. So I give up on that as well.

I have tried it all kinds of different ways and still am not able to get the drivers to work. From what I have read there are basically 4 different methods, I have tried them all and all variations of those directions and still cannot get them to work.

Well the one where you run the installer and grab the two files and incorporate them then put the drivers in three different places, modifing the txtsetup.oem files for each place differently, but I need the entire cd, not just what is copied over, so I haven't tried that way.

Nothing seems to be working correctly, not sure if I am having syntax errors, or what. Yes, I use drivers for another motherboard, but the ones for my motherboard are the same drivers, just the one I use are newer versions and are better.

As far as using nLite, I attempted using it but unfortunately I couldn't get it to work correctly, so I gave up, besides I wanted to be able to do this by hand so I know what everything is and where it's putting it, so I can make customizations if needed, either now or in the future.

I should probably mention both my system's spec's as well as the fact that I am trying to use XP Pro SP-2 to do this on.

System contains:
Chaintech 7NJS Zenith motherboard (P.O.S. I know but I still use it none the less, waiting till next year to upgrade to 64-bit.)
XP 2100+ (both o/c'd to 2600+ and non-o/c'd)
1GB PC 3200 Kingston HyperX 512MBx2 matched, running at 5-2-2-2-1@1.7v (min volts on 7NJS, wont go lower.)
also tried 512MB of PC 2700 Crucial retail memory, using std settings. (Original purchased memory that Crucial reports works with the board, el-cheapo version, but otherwise good memory, only replaced to be able to o/c the 2100+, also running at 1.7volts, 5-2-2-2-1 settings.)  Doesn't seem to be memory related.
2-Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 120GB Sata drives in raid 0, using SATA power cables.  (No problems reported by any utilities provided by Hitachi, tried even just one drive at a time, but they are normally used as a raid 0.  In fact they were still working just fine prior to reinstalling, where I attempted to do this upgrade.  They are accessble just fine when not using the unattended, but F-6 way of installing the drivers.)
Plextor 708-A/SW-BL, (even used old HP branded DVD Rom and CD-RW to install but they gave up the ghost, so replaced them with the trusty Plexy, which works on both systems the one I am on now is different in it's using an Asus A7N266-VM/AA with a XP 1700+ no o/c's with 512 MB of Crucial PC 2700 memory, (yes I have two matched sticks of this memory as well.)  I replaced the Plexy in this one which is used in the other one now with a Optorite DD-0405 and WD1000JB and 1600JB hdds  Also only uses on-board audio/video, no cards, lan is reached via Linksys WUSB-11.  Power provided by PC P&C TC-510-ATX.  Case is old HP Pavilion xt963.  Yes it all fits but it's tight, cooling is standard air cooling provided by AMD and HP.)
Creative Audigy 2 Platinum
ATI AIW 9000 Pro
Linksys WMP-11 for networking
Antec TruePower 550.
Case is Lian-Li PC-82COM
Cooling via 5 Lian-Li fans and a CoolerMaster Aero 7+
I should also mention this: HOW TO: Create an Unattended Installation of Third-Party Mass Storage Drivers in Windows Server 2003
(*NOTE*- *From above HOW TO* - This procedure cannot be used in conjunction with a Winnt.sif file when starting up from a CD for installation, should be kept in mind when reading, and could also apply to XP w-w/o SP-1 or 2, though I'm not sure, becuase the 2K one, (mentioned in the article,) is what is said to work in both 2K and XP, but there is not a specific entry for XP and there is no reference in the 2K article that mentions this note, neither of them mention XP.)

If anyone can find XP specific instructions please report back, as I have searched the M$ website and cannot find it.

Edited by DisabledTrucker, 08 October 2004 - 08:07 AM.

TheAccuser

TheAccuser
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 22-October 04
I went through this whole process and actually thought I got it to work....but I get this error during the initial setup:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows XP Professional Setup
----------------------------------------

The manufacturer provided file that Setup is trying
to use is corrupted or invalid:

Illegal or missing file types specified in section Files.SCSI.Si3112r_XP.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is right after setup says "Loading Windows..."

I check my TxtSetup.oem and everything looks right to me. I'm going to paste the beginning of my file to see if you guys can see any issues. I am assuming that this is where my problem is.

; This file installs the SiI 3x12 SATARaid driver as part of text
; mode setup on Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003.
;
; Copyright © 2002-2004 by Silicon Image, Inc.
; All rights reserved

[Disks]disk1 = "Silicon Image SiI 3x12 SATARaid Driver Installation Disk",\Si3112r.sys, \

[Defaults]
SCSI = Si3112r_XP

[SCSI]                  ; HwComponent section
Si3112r_XP = "Silicon Image SiI 3x12 SATARaid Controller for Windows XP/Server 2003", Si3112r
Si3112r_NT = "Silicon Image SiI 3x12 SATARaid Controller for Windows NT 4.0 and 2000"

[Files.SCSI.Si3112r_XP]
driver = disk1,si3112r.sys, Si3112r
driver = disk1,SiWinAcc.sys, SiFilter
inf = disk1,Si3112r.inf
dll = disk1,SilSupp.cpl
catalog = disk1, Si3112r.cat

[Files.SCSI.Si3112r_NT]
driver = disk1,si3112r.sys, Si3112r
inf = disk1,Si3112r.inf
dll = disk1,SilSupp.cpl
;;catalog = disk1, Si3112r.cat

Also, here is a screenshot of one of my directories with my drivers to show what files I have there:

Posted Image

Any help is appreciated.

trainee

trainee

ThunderWalker

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 04-May 04
@The Accuser: Can you provide us with your winnt.sif and a complete directory structure. The directory you have shown has no relevance to this method. The guide on the first page is now updated and should indicate the proper folders. Also you may want to try RASOR and see if it works for you. You should remove any changes you made to your XPCD for the driver first (delete directories & remove winnt.sif entries). But then this *should* slipstream your drivers up for you. You can see the RASOR thread here. If RASOR does or does not work for you, please post your results in that thread.
Posted Image

rcordorica

rcordorica

Windows Hacker

• 26 posts
  • Joined 10-August 04
@TheAccuser - i see that you have a "dll" entry in your txtsetup.oem. That might be the cause of your problem. Read the updated guide for help.

Modder(s)

Modder(s)
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04
I have finally created an unattended install XP pro cd using the TEXTMODE MassStorageDrivers Method for my ASUS A7V333 that has the Promise 20276 Raid chip on it (Promise MBFastTrak133 Lite ™ Controller). I also have a ASUS A7V133 that also has a Promise Raid chip on it (Promise FastTrak100 ™ Lite Controller). What my question is, is.....can I make 1 cd that can be used for both systems........i.e. combine the txtmode.oem files for both raid chips into one file and list all the driver files for both raid chips in my winnt.sif and have it work on each system?

rcordorica

rcordorica

Windows Hacker

• 26 posts
  • Joined 10-August 04
yeah, it's no problem. windows will only use and install the driver for the system it's on. I wrote a bit about combining txtsetup.oem files. Look for it in this thread.

Modder(s)

Modder(s)
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04
rcordorica, thanks for the fast reply :) I will have to start using cdrw's from now on........I wasted too many cd's just trying to figure out how to make it work just for the A7V333......lol!

rcordorica

rcordorica

Windows Hacker

• 26 posts
  • Joined 10-August 04
lol, me too, i wasted like 20 cd'r when i first got into Nlite'ing/Driverpack'ing/and now TEXTMODE'ing. I switched over to CDRW and now I don't have to worry about the waste. However, I should warn that you do keep a hard copy (CDR) of a working install once you have it, that way if you ever erase the CDRW you still have a good reference copy. (i forgot to do that and i recently had to remake all my older work). But trainee has made it much easier for me now with RASOR, maybe he can support your drivers (or does he already?).

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03
Trainee is /will be adding drivers!

I've sent him all the data required for all Acard controllers just two days ago, so I guess these will be supported soon as well!

trainee

trainee

ThunderWalker

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 04-May 04
Uh-oh...I just relocated across the country and have just started a new job. My computer, furniture, bed etc are in transit and I don't have a permanent place to live <sigh>. So I will try to get to things as I can. I only have my work computer and its not a windows box :P. Very sorry about this. Trying to make progress for you guys....must sleep....sleeeeeeep.
Posted Image

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03
According to this article, you can't make subfolders in the TEXTMODE folder.

Can anyone proove otherwise? (By this I mean, doesn't anyone know a work-around or something?)

EDIT: It's been tested and it doesn't work... :'( anyone ideas? (I don't like messed up folders!)

EDIT2: then why ARE there subdirectories for some drivers? e.g.: Adaptec SATA RAID 1210SA driver's txtsetup.oem:

[Disks]
d1   = "Adaptec Serial ATA HostRAID Driver Ver 1.00 For Windows 2000/XP", \hraidsk1, \Win2000

# directory
#    Specifies the directory on the disk where the installation files are
#    located. The directory must be specified as a full path from the root and
#    must not specify a drive.

EDIT3: found why it wasn't working :) also in the same txtsetup.oem:

# tagfile
#   Specifies the name of a verification file on the disk. The filename must
#   be specified as a full path from the root and must not specify a drive. 
#   Setup checks for this file to ensure that the user inserted the correct
#   disk.
going to retry with subfolders now...

Modder(s)

Modder(s)
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04
hey Bâshrat the Sneaky, you have to edit your txtsetup.oem for it to work on your cd. The txtsetup.oem that you got with the driver files from Adaptec is for use on a floppy (F6 install). Edit this:
[Disks]
d1 = "Adaptec Serial ATA HostRAID Driver Ver 1.00 For Windows 2000/XP", \hraidsk1, \Win2000

to:
[Disks]
d1 = "Adaptec Serial ATA HostRAID Driver Ver 1.00 For Windows 2000/XP", \hraidsk1, \

in your $OEM$\TEXTMODE and your I386\$OEM$ folders, you will have all these files and NO subfolders:
txtsetup.oem
hraidsk1
aar1210.cat
aar1210.sys
adhraid.cat
adhraid.inf
oemsetup.inf

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03
Well, I've done it quite differently :) I'm convinced it should work with subfolders, which will help to make it easier in maintenance!

[Disks]
d1 = "Adaptec Serial ATA HostRAID Driver Ver 1.00 For Windows 2000/XP", \ADAPTEC\ADAPTEC, ADAPTEC\ADAPTEC\controller_subfolder

Going to test it now :)

Modder(s)

Modder(s)
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04
Bâshrat the Sneaky, what have you figured out so far? :blink:

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03
Haven't had the time to test yet... Very busy this week :( :wacko: I'll post my results!

pod

pod
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 17-November 04
Just though I would add I have a Silicon Image 3112r pci SATA controller.

I tried to install Windows XP Pro (original not sp1/sp2). After hitting F6 to install a 3rd party Mass Storage Device I put in the floppy containing the 2ch x86 files from the CD that came with it. My drive is a 200gb Maxtor.

File txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (512) at line 1742 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c

was the error, It seems this is a very common problem. I went to the silicon image and updated from the .50 driver to 3x12_x86_rdvr-logod-10051.zip and copied the files onto the floppy.

No improvement - same error message again and again. I read on a forum that someone had this error, and then it suddenly worked for no reason. So I just hammered 'S' and enter about 25 times, took out the floppy, rammed it back in and did it a few times again. Eventually it took. No logic at all to it. The floppy was new and formatted (not quick format) with no errors on it.

Anyway, I will be ghosting the bare XP install as soon as possible, I don't want to have to do that again :)

POD

trainee

trainee

ThunderWalker

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 04-May 04
@Pod: Method 2 does not allow you to use a floppy with your unattended installation. To the best of my knowledge there is no method that will allow you to use a floppy disk with an unattended install. Again this guide tells you how to adapt your floppy files to your unattended XPCD and NOT how to use a floppy with an unattended install.
Posted Image

krebobble

krebobble
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 07-May 04
This looks fantastic!

Plz, plz can you add the 3ware 7500 series drives to RASOR???

Saecrious

Saecrious
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 31-December 04
I've tried this method to get the RAID controller working in my Sager 9860 notebook, which is a Promise 378.

I was able to get everything put onto the CD without issue, and it loads fine in VirtualPC... but loading on the laptop itself it acts like there's no MSD loaded at all ("Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer").

This is my first time integrating an MSD, so I may have done something wrong.

Contents of the created folders:
E:\CD_Root\$OEM$\TEXTMODE>dir /b
fasttx2k
Fasttx2k.cat
fasttx2k.INF
fasttx2k.sys
ptipbmf.dll
txtsetup.oem

E:\CD_Root\$OEM$\$$\OemDir>dir /b
ptipbmf.dll

E:\CD_Root\I386\$OEM$>dir /b
fasttx2k
Fasttx2k.cat
fasttx2k.INF
fasttx2k.sys
ptipbmf.dll
txtsetup.oem

The txtsetup.oem file:
[Disks]
d1 = "Promise FastTrak 376/378 Driver Diskette", \fasttx2k, \

[Defaults]
scsi = FastTrak_TX2K_xp

[scsi]
FastTrak_TX2K_xp = "WinXP Promise FastTrak 376/378 (tm) Controller", fasttx2k

[Files.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_xp]
driver = d1, fasttx2k.sys, fasttx2k
inf    = d1, ptipbmf.dll
inf    = d1, fasttx2k.inf
catalog= d1, fasttx2k.cat

[HardwareIds.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_xp]
id="PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3376", "fasttx2k"
id="PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373", "fasttx2k"

[Config.fasttx2k]

And my WINNT.SIF file:
;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
    AutoPartition=0
    MsDosInitiated="0"
    UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[UserData]
    ComputerName=calico

[Unattended]
    UnattendMode=DefaultHide
    OemPreinstall=No
    TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]
    OEMSkipRegional=1
    TimeZone=20

[TapiLocation]
    AreaCode=501

[Identification]
    JoinWorkgroup=BOREALIS

[Networking]
    InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]
    iis_common=On
    iis_inetmgr=On
    iis_ftp=Off
    iis_www=On
    iis_www_vdir_printers=Off
    iis_www_vdir_terminalservices=Off
    iis_smtp=Off
    iis_smtp_docs=Off
    iis_nntp=Off
    iis_nntp_docs=Off
    iisdbg=Off
    indexsrv_system=Off
    msnexplr=Off
    netoc=Off
    zonegames=Off

[MassStorageDrivers]
    "WinXP Promise FastTrak 376/378 (tm) Controller" = "OEM"
    "IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller" = "RETAIL"

[OEMBootFiles]
    txtsetup.oem
    fasttx2k
    fasttx2k.inf
    fasttx2k.cat
    fasttx2k.sys
    ptipbmf.dll

Any suggestions? I also have an LSI 21320-R driver I want to tackle next if we can get these working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users