help me with my new purchase

confused9200

hi there everyone

i just wanted a little help and your opinion

i have just been hooked on pc gaming and i am intersted in buying a laptop so i can play my games anywhere i go

i was wondering what specs does a laptop need to play games at a nice speed

this is the laptop i found, its kinda expensive but i am willing to buy it

it is one of the best specs found here in saudi arabia

there are some with 128mb but are really really expensive

Intel Centrino 1.50 GHz

512 MB DDR RAM

40 GB Hard Disk

15.4” TFT, CD-RW/ DVD

ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 64 MB VRAM

Infrared/TV-out, Wireless LAN

Win XP Home

i was wondering if the 64mb of vram will be enough to play games

i usually play something like generals on my computer, i dont really play a lot of games that require huge graphics, but i wanna make sure that this laptop is capable of letting me play smoothly

thanks a lot for your help

i'll be waiting for your input

well, for most of the modern games require minimum of 512mb of ram on a normal system and perhaps a 2ghz CPU.. maybe perhaps, if you dont have the money now, save a few dollars and wait awhile, or rethink the laptop and go a desktop as you get more for your money..

thanks for ur reply Doggie

but i already have a desktop which is well equipped

but i want a laptop cause i am always on the move and i dont really used my desktop much these days

by the way the ram on the laptop is upgradeable to 2gb

but how much will that cost me? i am thinking of adding another 512 or 256 to increase memory

thanks a lot

My baby is a little expensive but it does the trick itès a toshiba P20 3.2Ghz

It plays any I want it to I've been playing far cry for a while now and no gliches it's great but a little expensive my cost was 2988.00

i think that a centrino 1.5 performs as good as the p4 2.8, as it's got 1mb cache, hmm, to be able to play a game make sure that u have atleast 128 vram and atleast more than 256 ram like 384 maybe ?? that shud do the trick, then disable all the services and s*** , games can be a nightmare to play even on a very good spec on which the os and hardware is not configured properly...

n'ways how much does that lappy cost ??

Bye,

Jazz

thanks a lot for everyone who replied

the problem is that 64mb vram is the most i could find

i found a couple that have 128, but are really expensive

i just wanted to know if 64mb is good enough as i dont really play games that need a lot of vram

thanks again

u could try alienware :) its got 256mb vid ram expensive though

i think centrino is a good choice, if u can find try to find at least a 128vid mem. i've 64mb geforce 4 go on my dell laptop. its seriously not enough. I decrease the resolution play at lowest details on most recent games. my internet doesn't lag but my computer lags which is a BIG problem for me!

and for god sake pls don't buy hp or compaq laptop

if u're going to buy something buy dell toshiba alienware etc.

why? i've plenty of friends that bought compaq and dell without asking anyone, just looked at the price and "oh well this suits my needs" but no its got overheating problems and many other problems my friends currently experiencing. they've already taken another step at buying something else...

ow also sony, my friend's ram slot was broken he had dual 256, 1 day he complained about his computer being so slow, I went over to check what the hecks wrong, well it wasn't showing up 512mb anymore :rolleyes: basically his ram slot blew up or something.

those are my brief experiences

I've dell inspiron 8200 I bought it on sept 2002, when the laptop market was not like this, by that I mean not so much demand on gaming on laptops were popular as today, so yes I paid too much for it. but haven't got any, seriously any problems with it! (hope nothing happens to it after I say this :D) anyways get 2-3 year warranty if u're going to buy anything else

yes its a thick laptop but does its job. i looked at the new gaming pc's of dell's I dunno what to say about them except that THEY ARE THICK!

u can buy a micro computer, those new small box'ed computers with a lcd monitor... if that'd suit u. or get a tablet pc if u're taking notes or something.. MS one note works great with tablet pc's !!