Maxtor vs Western digital? Which ONE

About a few weeks ago, I was asking myself the same question. In all honesty, both are pretty good. I used WD in the past and I decided to go with maxtor this time around (one touch series 120gb).

Maxtor is my choice over WD.

What does this mean 80gb, 7200rpm, 2mb cache??
That means the drive has a capacity of 80GB or 80 gigabytes; The internal disks spin at 7,200 rpm or revolutions per minute; The drive has 2MB of onboard Cache. 8MB would be better, and 16MB at the moment, are only on newer laptop drives.

I've WD 120GB 8mb cache no problems so far pretty fast too.

but I've so many friends that like seagate and maxtor. they don't have any problems as well. I just got this since it had 8mb cache, I tend to use it..

my choice is SATA WD raptor 10000rpm :))

While I've had just the opposite than most, every WD drive died on me prematurely, while all my maxtors have out lived thier warranty (The original 3 yr warranty) by 2 or 3 years.

PLUS, I hate the fact that WD drives have to have a jumper set for master, slave, or SINGLE. Every other manufacturer works just fine with Master and slave, but with WD you have to set it to single if it the only thing on the cable. Minor annoyance, but when you are swapping drives around a few times a day, it gets **** annoying fast.

The drives emitted ear piercing screetches and stop working (head crash). These were all in workstations running office and IE. Cable select is great if you don't need to have drives identifed in certain order and still keep other devices like cd-roms and zip drives still mounted internally.

I just don't see why WD has to use the single setting in the first place when none of the other drive makers do. Although serial ata has solved that problem for me.

I used to use Maxtor drives exclusively. Suddenly I had repeated corruptions until one drive died altogether and through further testing another drive died. In total I had 3 Maxtor drives in the span of 2 months and they weren't more than 3 years old.

The local stores stopped carrying Maxtor and now tend to exclusively carry WD and I figured I'd grab a WD with the 8 meg buffer and I've had flawless use with it. Since then the only drives I buy are WD with the 8 meg buffer with no problems.

Of course every person will experience things differently depending on their setup, the enivornment of the computer and it's location, etc. I, personally, will never own another Maxtor drive as I consider them to be less than garbage.