Anything you want added to the guide?

Alanoll

If there is anything you want added or changed on the Multiboot DVD guide...let me know...

I'll be doing some updating of it hopefully this weekend. I got permission from Flyakite earlier, so let me kno....

If it's Linux related, then if you prepare the step by step like the other sections, send it to me along with any pictures and whatnot and I'll see about adding it.

hey, i just registered here! i have read your multi-boot dvd guide and followed it and got it succesfuly to work, but only with one operating system! lol

could you please add to the guide how to add darik's boot and nuke, norton ghost and true image 7.0 bootable rescue media into the bootable dvd.

i have these on bootable cd's this is why i am stuck.

this would be of great help!!

cheers Al.

Suggestions / additions:

1. What to do with the installation files folders - $WIN_NT$.~LS. I've always just deleted them and haven't experienced any problems, but I do remember somebody posting something about this.

2. Add the cdromsp4.tst indentifier to the section about win2K SP4 (Funny thing - the file IS included in the DVD lay-out section, as a ERD Commander source file!)

3. Adding BartPE to the DVD:

- Run PEBuilder - no specific need to create the iso - just the files in the output folder are needed,

- copy from the PEB output folder the Programs folder to DVD project's root, do the same for i386 and rename that one to BPE1. Copy the files from the root of the output folder to the root of the DVD project.

Like so:

D:\AIO-DVD\BPE1

D:\AIO-DVD\Programs

- edit setupldr.bin - replace i386 with BPE1 (as in the others)

- no need to edit txtsetup.sif ( standard setting for setupsourcepath is already correct)

- bootsector: in the root of the DVD project there is a file called bootsect.bin (it was copied over in step 1). Rename this to BPE1.DAT (for consistency) and hexedit replacing I386 with BPE1 (as in the others).

- create menu entry: if $lastkey == ; then chain /BPE1.DAT

4. Space saving tip (I found it on Terriers French site): if you want to have multiple entries for ERD Commander and/or BartPE, one normal and one /inram, an alternative to flyakites method is the following:

- goto BPE1 folder and create copies of both txtsetup.sif and setupldr.bin. Name them txtsetup.ram and setupldr.ram, respectively.

- also make a copy of BPE1.DAT in the root of the DVD and name this BPE2.DAT

- Hexedit BPE2.DAT and replace the textstring setupldr.bin with setupldr.ram. It's near where you would replace I386 with PRO1, 2PRO, BPE1, etc. Save.

- Hexedit setupldr.ram and replace all occurences of the textstring txtsetup.sif with txtsetup.ram. Save.

- Open txtsetup.sif with Notepad serach for OSLoadOptions and add /ínram: OsLoadOptions ="/fastdetect /minint /inram". Save.

- add menu entry: if $lastkey == ; then chain /BPE2.DAT

5. In the section about support tools and WinImage, suggestion to check the boot sector is set correctly through Image > Boot sector properties... My personal experience is to set it to Win95 unless the image is meant for a DOS specific program, then use MSDOS6.22

6. Add to the boot menu section the possibility of creating graphic CD Shell menus by using show image xxxx.csi, e.g.:

boot:
menu:
menu_Key:
cls
show image mainmenu.csi
getkey 60 boot 0x80
if $lastKey == key[1]; then goto Windows
if $lastKey == key[2]; then goto Utility
if $lastkey == key[3]; then goto Info
if $lastKey == key[q]; then goto end
if $lastKey == key[r]; then reboot
if $lastKey == key[h]; then goto Help
if $lastKey == key[b]; then boot 0x80

7. There is a new version of IsoBuster. Haven't played with it much yet, though.

8. Screenshots sections has a bad link.

9. Link to translations of the guide? I know of two: in French and Dutch.

hey, i just registered here! i have read your multi-boot dvd guide and followed it and got it succesfuly to work, but only with one operating system! lol

could you please add to the guide how to add darik's boot and nuke, norton ghost and true image 7.0 bootable rescue media into the bootable dvd.

i have these on bootable cd's this is why i am stuck.

this would be of great help!!

cheers Al.

um...

if I had them, I could attempt. If there was a post about them, I could try, but.....yeah....

Untill I either have the programs or whatnot, not much I can do.

@armydoc

Wow, someone has wanted to do this for awhile.....

BartPE should be do able. I'll about making pictures....and I'll need to experiment for a bit on it....shouldn't take too long....

4. That is a good tip. Definately space saving on the harddrive, and if you don't use CDIMAGE or a tool like it.

Alanoll,

yeah, well, I've been at this for a while now and these are some of the snags, tips and whatnot that I've run into, not just on this forum. Mostly though it's because I've created a guide in Dutch (see previous post) and I get very nitpicky (?!?) when I go into teacher-mode :)

By the way - I forgot one request: a working Knoppix! This one's driving me crazy...

ArmyDoc

@Bashrat

Nothing to do with Multiboot Guide.

There is a reason I posted in the Multiboot section, and not the general Unattended section.

But on my opinion for compressed drivers, I would instead link to a post in the forum describing the method, and not directly adding it to the site. But it's not my decision, it's Aaron's, so we'll see what happens.

@Bashrat

Nothing to do with Multiboot Guide.

There is a reason I posted in the Multiboot section, and not the general Unattended section.

But on my opinion for compressed drivers, I would instead link to a post in the forum describing the method, and not directly adding it to the site. But it's not my decision, it's Aaron's, so we'll see what happens.

whoops :) I read only the topic title ' added to THE guide', so I immediately thought of the official uxpcd guide... Sorry again!

Yes Alanoll thats a great idea. I know myself after many months in playing around with stuff its pretty much second nature now but youre right its great to have plenty of screen shots especially for the newbies.

I must say Armydoc what I see of your guide/post above Ive carried out sucessfully & glad to see youve put it all together. Id also like to see a translation of the guide you have been involved with on your site as well.

Keep up the good work chaps