Windows Installer Helper Utility

xper

I run WIHU twice.

The first time from cmdlines.txt, here i let the user setup an account and use the parameters %NewUserName% and %NewUserPassword% in the install.ini file to run a batch file which sets up autologon for the newly created account (optional through checkbox, default = enabled).

Through cmdlines.txt i setup a runonceex event for after first logon. After first logon WIHU is run again. This time the account part is skipped (/SkipSettings) and a version with a different install.ini is run. Here the user can select his software and install it (see a few pages back for the install.ini file).

As MacroTips said here is where you want a countdown timer, so that after the selected software is finished installing the program doesn't do an instant reset but waits for a while before resetting the pc.

Temporary option is to run shutdown.exe through the install.ini file, but it would be nicer if this was integrated in WIHU.

Syntax_13

@GreenMachine : You're right :) But as long I have time to work on it, it's ok. Currently I've to do 3 exams the next 2 weeks, so I can't spent any time on wihu (except a critical bug has to be fixed).

But after that I'll add following:

-Option to save log view into a logfile

-Option to specify install.ini path

-And a countdown timer ... btw. why not reboot instantly? What is the advantage of showing the time when windows will reboot? It's not really clear to me. I would use windows builtin notification dialog (see InitiateSystemShutdownEx API)

Benjamin Kalytta

Hey there Benjamin

Im having a small issue where it isnt letting me log on after it has finished the install. It adds the Autologon info alright in the registry but when it goes to autologon it says that the password is incorrect. I know that the autologon info is entered correctly because i used ERD commander to access my system, im assuming your using something along the lines of the built in "net user "%name%" %password% /add" system, so i have no idea, any help would be appreciated.

@deedwar:

Hmm, strange ... can't imagine why.

Please open registry editor key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and verify that "AutoAdminLogon" is set to "1", and "DefaultUserName" is the correct user name that should be logged on, and that "DefaultPassword" exists which contain the corresponding plain text password.

May be an error ocurred during installation of the software (installation interrupted). Please try default password "123435" then.

Benjamin

That seems to be the issue, doesnt seem to impliment my password but always leave it as the default password. Could it be because of an incorrect installation of one of the programs in the next part of the program maybe. But 12345 does seem to be the password each time no matter what i do, i have tried it 3 times with different passwords just incase it was a freaky occurance. All the autologon info is correct, but yeah it just gives me the incorrect password error when logging in. Will stick with it and see what the go is. Thanks for the help.

I'm currently modifying wihu not to create temporary password 12345, but this is not the solution for you I think. Password 12345 will be deleted and user entered password will be used AFTER successfull installation, which mean your installation will be interrupted ... or wihu will be terminated before wihu finished to do the work ... may be wihu crashed?

May be tommorow I'll provide a revised version of wihu 1.6 which shouldn't cause the logon problem even if wihu would be crashed.

Benjamin

Much appreciated. I dont think it crashed because it gets to the last screen where i am required to click finish and if ticked will reboot my system. Who knows. But i do like the prog and it is much better then having a Batch file called to enter peoples login details. Keep up the good work.

Warren

As I promised revised version 1.6.0.1 is available now.

Please note that command line syntax changed. Instead /UserName "New user" for instance you have to use /User="New User". Please see at my web page for more information.

It's now possible to specify install ini via /ini=<file> and with /restartwait=<seconds> restart wait dialog option was added.

Benjamin Kalytta

@BenjaminKalytta

This project seems to be REALLY taking shape...very nice work....

I shall start tinkering with it, after I'm done with Winamp, which is after I finish the current incarnation of my DVD, which is when my computer is done defragging.

Good luck on those exams...

As for an answer to your question....

When some programs install, they enter entries that are ONLY there untill the computer is restarted, but are loaded when the desktop loads. If the computer never gets to that point, the software that entered the entries may never get completely installed.

The next thing someone is going to ahve you do, is try to implement a plugin's part of the program, so people can design their own, and the plugin adds a page.....say....for selecting VisualStyle or something....Regtweaks maybe.....but just watch SOMEONE is going to ask for it.

EDIT: I removed the attachment to xper's post, so people don't download that first and then complain it doesn't work how the new one does. Some people are stupid, trust me