Windows Installer Helper Utility

xper

what about a matrix structure like that

post-4-1085991689.jpg

i think that could be a way. i gues without pictures they are not nessesary.

but indeed i like your layout, make it just resizeable if it´s possible.

i think sub sections like polo said and a tree structure are more important or if you want usefull then a new style für the window it self.

offtopic

@benjamin

what about your Examination, did you well.

i hope my english is not so bad.

@Osmosis Jones:

I'll add a kind of subsections ok? I don't like icons in it;)

Your suggested layout is ok, but it is not possible to create it dynamically i.e. fit it with each data in install.ini.

May be it will look something like this:

wihu_demo1.png

what about your Examination, did you well

Thx for asking. There are some that was very difficult. "Analysis" for example was not as easy as I thought before, but I think it was enough. On Friday the last exam for this semester (physics) I think I'll fail ... haven't learned enough. But I'll give it a try :)

Benjamin

that´s cool.

i´ll like to see some thing like polo said, so that´the progs could besortet in the *ini by use( i-net, write progs, e-mail etc) but sub tree´s are quite cool.

@pastl

excuse to pastle that i used your screenshot as example

@Benjamin:

Tolles Utility !!! :rolleyes:

I will continue in English so others can follow :D

First, this is a great little app. Thank you very much ! I have three wishes:

So far, I actually only use it to create new users after an Unattended Setup. So it would be great if there was a command line switch that allows Wihu to go from the User creation screen directly to the last reboot screen, skipping the Software Installation screen. Would that be possible ?? Please ! :D

Second wish would be to add a command line switch to make the Wihu dialog modal so that the user is forced to add a user and reboot without being able to do something else or skip the step. Actually, it would be great if it even the close or cancel button would be greyed out in this mode so that after a default installation the user is forced to add a user and reboot.

My third and last wish would be to add an option on the first dialog ( user creation ) to add more than one user. Something like an "add more users" button which opens one more user creation dialog ...

I hope my wishes are not too demanding and of course thank you very much for that great app !!!

:)

Bye,

Alex

New first 2.0 beta is released today. Please note, install.ini has changed dramatically because of the need to support sub sections. Please take a look at install.ini for example until my web page is updated.

Please also note that it is now possible to create multiple users which is specified in users.ini.

There is also a little tool (wihuuser.exe) which only process users.ini i.e. create users only. But note, I will not add more features to this tool. This is intended for user creation only and will NOT be extended! There is exactly one command line argument to specify the path of the users.ini.

@midiboy: Multiple user creation is now possible :)

Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

thanks for the new version. Don´t want to appear unthankful but actually I had something else in mind when thinking about multiple user creation.

I know this forum is all about unattended setup but if that is what I wanted a simple batch file using the net command would do all I need.

Contrary to software installation which for the most part stays similar on each system, user creation will differ on each system. Therefore an ini file that contains all the users to be created would not help me much.

I actually thought about adding new users on the fly in the same way your former version did but with an option to add more than one user.

Of course everyone´s needs will differ but that is actually a feature I am missing so far.

Also, how about adding a few more switches for the following features:

Skip software installation dialog

disable close button/cancel button and

disable the possibility to not reboot afterwars ( grey out system restart switch ) = always reboot

Would be great if that could be added ! :)

One last question:

Does "homepath" actually change the system shell folder for this user similar to right clicking on "My documents" and moving the folder ?? THAT WOULD BE COOL ! Of course it would be even cooler if one could change this path through the GUI of the program instead of a more or less fixed ini file.

Thanks !

Alex

I actually thought about adding new users on the fly in the same way your former version did but with an option to add more than one user.
What about using windows shell for this purpose? :rolleyes:
Skip software installation dialog

Hmm, not very good. Purpose of this tool was software installation interface. If you don't want install any software just specify an empty install.ini :)

disable the possibility to not reboot afterwars
There is already a switch for this "/skiprestart".
Does "homepath" actually change the system shell folder for this user similar to right clicking on "My documents" and moving the folder

"Home" will only set the local profile path for the new created user which also can be changed with windows "computer management"

profile.home.png

Of course it would be even cooler if one could change this path through the GUI of the program instead of a more or less fixed ini file.

Why don't you use "Computer Management" (Systemsteuerung\Verwaltung\Computerverwaltung) for this purpose? I know windows (2000/XP) interface is a bit limited in contradiction to Windows 2003, but may be I could create a stand alone user creation tool?

Benjamin