Windows Installer Helper Utility

xper

nevertheless i have one question. benjamin will you add the feature, that hidden elements, which are selected are unselected if no subject of the groupe, where they belong, will be installed. i have requested it one time, and don´t know if you remind it.

Yes this will be added this time.

benjamin

nevertheless i have one question. benjamin will you add the feature, that hidden elements, which are selected are unselected if no subject of the groupe, where they belong, will be installed. i have requested it one time, and don´t know if you remind it.

Good idea especially with my Nero example earlier. If i unselect Nero (the tree anyways) i wouldn't want the unregister commands to be executed.

What if you had

TREE
 SUBTREE 1
     ITEM 1
     ITEM 2
 SUBTREE 2
TREE2
TREE3
 SUBTREE 1
 SUBTREE 2
    ITEM1

and Item 1 and Item 2 of SUBTREE1 were hidden, would Subtree1 still be visible? In the current version, i don't think it would be....but say you were to use the NET USER command to create user (jsut hypothesizing) and you created and then added, you wouldn't want them showing, just a "Create User" as the SUBTREE1 title, and if checked, it will create the user. Hope that made sense

...and Item 1 and Item 2 of SUBTREE1 were hidden, would Subtree1 still be visible?

I think it should be visible.

Take this example:

[section 1]...
[Creating users]
command.0=createusers.exe blabla
descritpion.0=will never be displayed
hide.0=1

...will be displayed at

Section 1
Creating users

EDIT:

May be I shouldn't restrict hide.x to last level :)

Benjamin

@Osmosis Jones: I know this of course WAS a bug here, but please don't report ALPHA bugs ... only if released as BETA.

Thx

EDIT:

May be I shouldn't restrict hide.x to last level

I changed my code so that each subtree can be hidden. Effect is that also it's subtrees are hidden also if this isn't specified in INI file.

EDIT: But since root of the tree is only a description (section name) which don't contain command's to be executed should this be visible also if all of it's childs are hidden? Or should I hide it then (like in version WIHU 2.0)?

benjamin

sounds good.

You would get the appearance of what I was talkinga bout before......

CD Burning Apps
 Nero
     ITEM 1
     ITEM 2
 Alcohol 2
Microsoft Office 2003 Professional
Image Viewer
 ACDSee
 IrfanView

but by coding it

CD Burning Apps
  Nero
      ITEM 1
      ITEM 2
  Alcohol 2
Microsoft applications
  Microsoft Office 2003 Professional
Image Viewer
  ACDSee
  IrfanView

and hiding Microsoft Office 2003 Professional in the latter, and it will look like the first.

Sounds good.

Hi Benjamin,

I have not constantly updated Wihu over the last few days but I installed your last 2.0.0.1 ( bugfix11 ) today and have to report a small bug:

The /SkipSoftware switch does not work as expected anymore. It skips the software installation but also skips the user creation and shell folder dialogs and goes directly to the last "finish" dialog.

Also, if used together with the /NoCancel and /Ds switches the latter will not work.

One small suggestion:

I just saw that you moved the most used Shell folders ( Music, pictures, personals etc. ) to the top in the Shell folder list. THANKS ! Didn´t think you would do this ! Thanks !

If one has defined default shell folders in install.ini ( f.i. D:\%NewUser% etc.) ... would it be possible to show this for each of the defined shell folders in the Wihu shell folder dialog ? You already do this for the Personals folder but by default the path is empty for Music, Pictures, Favorites etc. ....

Thanks,

Alex

@midiboy: You are right. I fixed this 2 bugs.

(Btw. /SkipSettings also skips user creation)

...would it be possible to show this for each of the defined shell folders in the Wihu shell folder dialog

No actually not. These folders will be created if users has been created which isn't the case at that time. So I can't read it out from registry because user profile folder and it's registry don't exists at this time. And I can't hardcode this paths because they are localization dependend.

benjamin

Hey Benjamin,

thanks for fixing these bugs.

No actually not. These folders will be created if users has been created which isn't the case at that time. So I can't read it out from registry because user profile folder and it's registry don't exists at this time. And I can't hardcode this paths because they are localization dependend.

But you could read from install.ini, right ? You seemingly do this for the Personals folder anyway, at least in my case "D:\%NewUser% appears in the path field. The strange thing is that if I first choose "Eigene Dateien" from the drop down list, THEN the path field for Music, Pictures and Video will show "D:\%NewUser%\Eigene Videos" etc.

My only wish is that this could be done for all the shell folders that have default values in install.ini so that the user sees where the shell folders would be created. After all, I know the values in install.ini but another user who gets the unattended CD would not.

Thanks,

Alex

Hey Benjamin,

I think we have a communication problem here :)

I already use install.ini to set default shell folders. I am just wondering why those default values do not visually appear under "Zielort" for Music, Video, Favorites and Pictures shell folders.

I have attached a picture. When "Eigene Musik" is choosen the "Zielort" is empty.

When "Eigene Dateien" is chosen, the default value from install.ini is used.

My suggestion was to show all the shell folder values from install.ini, not only "Eigene Dateien" :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Alex

EDIT: Everything is ok. That %NewUserName% will not be expanded is intended because this shellfolders will be used as global settings also for other users.

Btw. your shellfolder settings works here ... every specified shellfoder will be displayed. Which WIHU switches do you use?

Benjamin

Hey Benjamin,

I am using this to start Wihu:

wihu.exe /SkipSoftware /NoCancel /Ds

It is perfectly alright if the variables (%NewUserName%) do not get expanded, they should just be visible. On my system it works like this: If I start Wihu, add a new user and get to the shell folder setting dialog, "Zielort" will be empty at first. Dropdown menu shows "Eigene Musik" on top. Choosing any other folder except "Eigene Dateien" will not change this, but if I choose "Eigene Dateien", only then will the default values used in install.ini be shown for the other shell folders like "Eigene Musik" etc ....

Thanks,

Alex