Windows Installer Helper Utility

xper

However I find it funny that I can do this:

[x] Tools                               
 [x] Total Commander 6.0.3            
     [ ] Total Commander Settings
     [ ] Test                                      <-- This is hidden and has a command.1.1=*

Now I can select only "Total Commander 6.0.3" without the settings.

And the "Total Commander Settings" is now optional.

Just the way I want it :)

However the "Test" will be selected then, but I guess it dosen't matter as it is hidden and has no command.

@all: Ok I changed the selection behaviour now.

Also: Primary user will be moved to "users" group by default since now.

However this user will always have admin rights during installation which will be removed after first logon. (if "[ ] Add administrator rights to new user" was not checked)

Benjamin

Edited by BenjaminKalytta

Hi Benjamin,

However this user will always have admin rights during installation which will be removed after first logon. (if "[ ]Add administrator rights to new user" was not checked)

I am confused! :) First, why this change ? Second, if users.ini contains this code for user 0:

Group.0=1

he should be part of the Administrators group and not become a limited user after first logon. Or what do you mean by "Primary user" ?

Bye,

Alex

I prefer running WIHU at this early stage. Most because of the "Default User" fact which is described on unattended.msfn.org.

Hey my2001!

I did read the guide and of course I know about the need to add REGISTRY tweaks that should affect all future users during the T13/12 stage.

But you do not need Wihu for this. A simple Regedit /s called from commandlines.txt will do the same.

I do not understand the advantage of installing all your software at that early stage or even worse, add users at that stage ... that makes no sense to me, but I am sure you can explain your reasons behind that :D

Bye,

Alex

Hi midiboy! :)

Well, both ways, of course, are possible, just dependent on one's own needs. Certainly it's possible, too, to import a registry file with some tweaks at T-13 mark. But many installation routines only write data into registry's HKCU hive and I don't really want to search for those entries and add them to every user manually; this can be done much more nicer by let's call it "T-13-method". :rolleyes: Yeah, and what is even more, often some files are copied to Application Data in the profile folders directory and so on, these files will be copied later to every newly created user account automatically which wouldn't be the case if I don't install software during T-13.

Hi Benjamin,

However this user will always have admin rights during installation which will be removed after first logon. (if "[ ] Add administrator rights to new user" was not checked)

I am confused! :) First, why this change ? Second, if users.ini contains this code for user 0:

Group.0=1

he should be part of the Administrators group and not become a limited user after first logon. Or what do you mean by "Primary user" ?

Bye,

Alex

This idea from Benjamin is very good from my point of view, let me explain it a little bit:

1.) Now DefaultUser (in German: Standardbenutzer) just got a new name: Primary User.

2.) Since many installation routines do need administrator privileges or they will fail, during installation part WIHU gives the primary sser account those Admin rights, no matter what the user's choice was. This is no problem at all because firstly it is necessary for the installations under Windows and secondly it doesn't affect the user's choice due to the fact the account is set back to the desired status after installation!

For example: The user chose to create the primary user account with restricted privileges. WIHU will use admin rights for installations and afterwards set the status back to restricted prileges. If the user's choise is to create primary user account with admin rights, WIHU won't set it back, of course, after installations are finished.

So, as u see: no difference, WIHU just assigns admin rights to the primary user account _during installation_ because this is needed for most installations under Win.

Furthermore: for daily work one should never use admin rights.

...he should be part of the Administrators group and not become a limited user after first logon. Or what do you mean by "Primary user" ?

No if Group.x=1 is specified WIHU will not change anything after install. Only if Group.x=0 was specified WIHU will first assign this new user full access rights during installation which will removed later after first logon of this user.

I changed "DefaultHome" to "Home" because of consistency reason. Sorry for that, but's already beta :)

Benjamin

Edited by BenjaminKalytta

@all: Ok I changed the selection behaviour now.

Benjamin

thanks it's much better

But I have one more question. it's only a styleproblem. :)

How can I put a '&' in the description? example: 'O&O Defrag'

there would be 'OO Defrag', I think this feature is okay, but exists there any other method to write the '&'. (perhaps '/&' --> '&' or 'char(54)' --> '&' or any other method)

I can't seem to get the & to appear.

Tag&Rename 3.15 is displayed TagRename 3.15.

And just a minor thing:

If we got this

x] Tools                                      
     [ ] Total Commander Settings           <-- This is hidden

Then it's displayed like this

x] Tools                                         

But there is still the little square displayed beside indicating there is subtrees.

But there are not as it is hidden.

Hope you follow. And as I said it is just a minor thing

Keep up the good up Benjamin :):rolleyes: