Windows Installer Helper Utility

xper

@Syntax 13

I mean the category-function with more than one program.

And for each program more than one command-lines...

Your answer don´t work... Thank you for your help... :D

@Benjamin

:)

Multiple commands as requested by many...

Another way is maybe to change the category-command like

<Viewersoftware>

[Acrobat Reader]
description.1=blabla
description.2=blabla2
command.1=command-line 1
command.2=command-line 2
command.3=command-line 3

[Irfanview]
description.1=blabla
command.1=command-line 1
command.2=command-line 2

Another way is maybe the answer of Nendur...

Please help us... Is there no way? :rolleyes:

Please forgive me the late answer, but the telekom turned off my DSL connection (bill was not payed :) )

@simo1234:

Please download the latest "beta 2".

Should be fixed there. (Please don't forget to use command.x :rolleyes: )

Some othe bugs are fixed and shellfolder rename dialog was added.

@PoloDude:

Use /log=logile.log. Please ensure that you enclose the path name in "" if it contains blanks like /log="A new Logfile.log"

@Nendur:

I know what you mean, I could use the same syntax as Windows INF file uses, but this is going to complex so that no one can understand it here.

@syntax_13: Ok I'll add option to skip Software install, and also may be I'll add Expand/collapse. Btw. hide bug is fixed now.

.MSI files don't need msiexec.exe prepend anymore. Just specify it as you do it with a executable ... if you want.

Benjamin

Hey Benjamin,

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH for adding shell folders and for also adding the skip installation switch soon ! :)

Just came across a small problem. What if the unattended installation is on a new system where only first partition is formatted ( during setup ) and second ( D:) is not.

Before adding shell folders to D one would have to format the drive. Do you either know how to call the Windows GUI format utility (see attached pic ) or could you add a button to the shell folder setup dialog to call this utility ?

I tried to find out if this utility is a seperate program using filemon but nothing came up so I guess it is out of my hands ... :rolleyes:

Of course I could call a cmd with Dos format utility but this would look terrible compared to your great looking utility.

I also hope you will consider adding the multiple user add option without the need to have a prepared user.ini. PLEASE ! :-)

By the way ... if you make your IBAN and BIC codes known ( bank account scheme in the EU ) I would gladly send you a small donation !!

Your work is very much appreciated !!!

Bye,

Alex

@midiboy....

trying calling the Computer Management MMC applet.

%SystemRoot%\system32\compmgmt.msc /s

It's another step, as then you have to go to Device Management and then right-click...but....yeah....

I believe the Format box is actually an API call, so Benjamin would ahve to do some reasearch on it....but not sure..

@midiboy:

I'll try to implement on demand formating i.e. format unformatted drive.

@mcardlej:

I haven't tested it yet if this work. But should work.

What about using XML files to store install data. I think it is more flexibel and suitable if Multiple commands support should be implemented. Here is an example file. This would allow infinite levels of depth (sub commands) ... if some one need this :)

Disadvantage is that I have to use tree view control which doesn't support Group Headers.

Benjamin

Disadvantage is that I have to use tree view control which doesn't support Group Headers.

I don't know about this, can't picture the difference in my head

As for the XML idea, I find XML files better then INI files myself. Especially when there is a syntax error (didn't close a quote or something) as I can open it in IE and it tells me where the error is.

Maybe it is an idea that you can put some pop-up windows before some kind of installation is started. For some program a serial key has to be inserted manual. Then it looks professional if there would be an attention with the serial key. At this time i use notepad.exe

Good work.. I prefer 1.6 more then 2.0 because of its simple interface.

To use an XML-file is a great idea, because there are some editors with included synthax-highlightning (like 'Notepadd++'). With this editors everyone is able to read and edit the XML-file easily.

You are so great, you are so wonderbra :):rolleyes::D

DALI

Hey Benjamin,

just a few observations with the shellfolder feature:

1. Maybe I am misunderstanding something but if I first create a new user and then proceed to the shell folder changing dialog am I changing the shell folders of that newly created user, right ?? Because it is not working. I have attached a pic which shows two things:

First, I just created a user named Alexander, but the default path for the Personal shell folder offered by Wihu is D:\Administrator. Shouldn´t it be at least D:\Alexander ?

Second, if I change that to D:\Alexander, then later reboot and log in as this user, the shell folder is still C:\Documents and Settings\Alexander ... as you can see on the pic.

If your shell folder feature is actually only changing the shell folders of the currently logged in user and not the one I am creating than it is more or less useless ( at least for me ) because your utility runs after an unattended installation and will always be run from the Administrators account which is not an account I would use after that.

If this is the case (which I suspect it might be right now ) would you then please also add a switch to skip the shellfolders dialog ? ( you probably think I am a lunatic now

:) )

Maybe you can clear this up a bit ...

2. Currently you have "Use logged in user" activated by default. Would you mind changing that to be off by default or provide a means to save settings ( user.ini maybe ? )

Thanks,

Alex