Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows Installer Helper Utility

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
521 replies to this topic

MarcoTips

MarcoTips

Junior

• Pip
  • 69 posts
Is it possible now to skip the user creation completely and select what you wish to install, and if nothing is selected during a specified time it auto installs the standard selected options

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

BenjaminKalytta

BenjaminKalytta

Developer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
Ok MarcoTips, take this one: WIHU 1.6. You have to enable /SkipSettings switch.
@Alanoll: Thank you again for correcting grammatical mistakes in my application.

Benjamin Kalytta

syntax_13

syntax_13

• 27 posts
Very nice, but.... your program seems to have a limit somewhere.
I don't see anything wrong, but for some reason it stops listing programs at "msn messenger". The checkbox parameter is also ignored.
See the attached ini file.

Attached Files

BenjaminKalytta

BenjaminKalytta

Developer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
You're right syntax_13, it was a very bad mistake of mine. Please use the new one WIHU 1.6.
Btw syntax_13, nice ini file. May I borrow it for my installation system?
For everyone programmer here: Don't use GetPrivateProfileSectionNames with fixed Buffer size :)

Benjamin Kalytta

my2001

my2001

• PipPip
  • 260 posts
Hallo Benjamin! :)

Great work, indeed! Thanks a lot for that nice little progi. :rolleyes:

MarcoTips

MarcoTips

Junior

• Pip
  • 69 posts
when using the skipsettings switch the install.ini isn't loaded

BenjaminKalytta

BenjaminKalytta

Developer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
It's loaded here. Be sure install.ini is in same folder as wihu.exe.

Benjamin Kalytta

syntax_13

syntax_13

• 27 posts
No problem benjamin.

Actually, there are some other things i'd like to be added:

1. a commandline parameter to skip the software install part. That way i could run your program twice. Once through cmdlines.txt to create an admin account and setup the computer settings. The second time after first logon with the new account to just run and install the software part, here it would skip the account screen.

2. an option to rename the default Administrator account instead of creating a new admin

3. a possibility to use the name and password of the newly created account as variables in the install.ini file (e.g. %newuser%, %newpassword%).
This is used in the cmdlines.txt part to run a batch file which injects the autologon parameters into the registry and thus lets you autologon using your newly created account.

BenjaminKalytta

BenjaminKalytta

Developer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
@syntax_13:

You could use wihu /autoinstall 0 /username "New User" /userpassword 1234567890
In this case, settings will not be skiped.

Setting %NewUserPassword% is a security risc, don't know if it is so suitable.
Changing Administrator isn't that easy. What about just disabling it?
Nevertheless I added this feature at this moment. May be there will be a command line switch in future to disable it. %NewUserPassword% and %NewUserName% is now available.

Benjamin Kalytta

syntax_13

syntax_13

• 27 posts
Benjamin, maybe you could add a 'rename account' checkbox which calls this renuser program ?

BenjaminKalytta

BenjaminKalytta

Developer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
Who programmed this tool? I'd prever to get the source and to include it directly in my code.

Benjamin Kalytta

MarcoTips

MarcoTips

Junior

• Pip
  • 69 posts
when I use the switch /skipsettings, I get the screen below, but when I don't use the switch it shows up normal

EDIT: just did another test, when I call wihu.exe from the commandline without the switch its also like in the screenshot

Attached Files

BenjaminKalytta

BenjaminKalytta

Developer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
@MarcoTips: Do you use the newest version. Please try to download it again (WIHU 1.6.1).
Or may be your Ini file isn't correct?

Benjamin Kalytta

MarcoTips

MarcoTips

Junior

• Pip
  • 69 posts
I'm using 1.6 just downloaded it again and I'm using the ini file that is provided, if I don't run it from the command line then it shows up properly

syntax_13

syntax_13

• 27 posts
There seem to be two versions of renuser, one here and one here.

BenjaminKalytta

BenjaminKalytta

Developer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
@syntax_13: thx, I'll take a look at it.
@MarcoTips: Strange you're right ... I'll fix this soon.

Benjamin

BenjaminKalytta

BenjaminKalytta

Developer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
inistall.ini load bug is fixed now.

Benjamin

MarcoTips

MarcoTips

Junior

• Pip
  • 69 posts
I would like to make one more request, an option to specify the time when windows reboots, and make it visually so that the user sees when it is going to reboot, I would like to have this option so that the shell can load properly before it reboots

BenjaminKalytta

BenjaminKalytta

Developer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
It's not possible. It's not predicable how long installation process lasts.

Benjamin

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts

... Be carefull, or you will be asked to update your program to do everything, including washing the dishes! ...

You were warned!

Keep up the good work, BenjaminKalytta!

MarcoTips

MarcoTips

Junior

• Pip
  • 69 posts
No thats not what I meant, I mean instead like rebooting instantly, just after about 60s like your doing an unattended from runonceex with the command shutdown, but then an built in thingy in your app

my2001

my2001

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

I would like to make one more request

Maybe you wanna donate something to him for the time he spends on that project? :)

Screwz Luse

Screwz Luse

• PipPip
  • 158 posts
Hey, it'd be cool to see some examples of peoples install.ini files, eh? :)

And just out of curiousity, where do you call WIHU? (example would be cool :rolleyes:)

syntax_13

syntax_13

• 27 posts
I run WIHU twice.

The first time from cmdlines.txt, here i let the user setup an account and use the parameters %NewUserName% and %NewUserPassword% in the install.ini file to run a batch file which sets up autologon for the newly created account (optional through checkbox, default = enabled).

Through cmdlines.txt i setup a runonceex event for after first logon. After first logon WIHU is run again. This time the account part is skipped (/SkipSettings) and a version with a different install.ini is run. Here the user can select his software and install it (see a few pages back for the install.ini file).

As MacroTips said here is where you want a countdown timer, so that after the selected software is finished installing the program doesn't do an instant reset but waits for a while before resetting the pc.
Temporary option is to run shutdown.exe through the install.ini file, but it would be nicer if this was integrated in WIHU.

Syntax_13

syntax_13

syntax_13

• 27 posts
> Satus/Error log view were added

Is it possible to output this log to a file (e.g. c:\wihulog.txt) ?
Maybe through a setting in the install.ini file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN