Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows Installer Helper Utility

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
521 replies to this topic

deedwar

deedwar
  • 9 posts
Hey there.

Thanks for your effort very much appreciated.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

BenjaminKalytta

BenjaminKalytta

Developer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
@GreenMachine : You're right :) But as long I have time to work on it, it's ok. Currently I've to do 3 exams the next 2 weeks, so I can't spent any time on wihu (except a critical bug has to be fixed).

But after that I'll add following:
-Option to save log view into a logfile
-Option to specify install.ini path
-And a countdown timer ... btw. why not reboot instantly? What is the advantage of showing the time when windows will reboot? It's not really clear to me. I would use windows builtin notification dialog (see InitiateSystemShutdownEx API)

Benjamin Kalytta

deedwar

deedwar
  • 9 posts
Hey there Benjamin

Im having a small issue where it isnt letting me log on after it has finished the install. It adds the Autologon info alright in the registry but when it goes to autologon it says that the password is incorrect. I know that the autologon info is entered correctly because i used ERD commander to access my system, im assuming your using something along the lines of the built in "net user "%name%" %password% /add" system, so i have no idea, any help would be appreciated.

BenjaminKalytta

BenjaminKalytta

Developer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
@deedwar:
Hmm, strange ... can't imagine why.
Please open registry editor key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and verify that "AutoAdminLogon" is set to "1", and "DefaultUserName" is the correct user name that should be logged on, and that "DefaultPassword" exists which contain the corresponding plain text password.
May be an error ocurred during installation of the software (installation interrupted). Please try default password "123435" then.

Benjamin

deedwar

deedwar
  • 9 posts
That seems to be the issue, doesnt seem to impliment my password but always leave it as the default password. Could it be because of an incorrect installation of one of the programs in the next part of the program maybe. But 12345 does seem to be the password each time no matter what i do, i have tried it 3 times with different passwords just incase it was a freaky occurance. All the autologon info is correct, but yeah it just gives me the incorrect password error when logging in. Will stick with it and see what the go is. Thanks for the help.

BenjaminKalytta

BenjaminKalytta

Developer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
I'm currently modifying wihu not to create temporary password 12345, but this is not the solution for you I think. Password 12345 will be deleted and user entered password will be used AFTER successfull installation, which mean your installation will be interrupted ... or wihu will be terminated before wihu finished to do the work ... may be wihu crashed?
May be tommorow I'll provide a revised version of wihu 1.6 which shouldn't cause the logon problem even if wihu would be crashed.

Benjamin

deedwar

deedwar
  • 9 posts
Much appreciated. I dont think it crashed because it gets to the last screen where i am required to click finish and if ticked will reboot my system. Who knows. But i do like the prog and it is much better then having a Batch file called to enter peoples login details. Keep up the good work.

Warren

BenjaminKalytta

BenjaminKalytta

Developer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
As I promised revised version 1.6.0.1 is available now.
Please note that command line syntax changed. Instead /UserName "New user" for instance you have to use /User="New User". Please see at my web page for more information.
It's now possible to specify install ini via /ini=<file> and with /restartwait=<seconds> restart wait dialog option was added.

Benjamin Kalytta

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
@BenjaminKalytta

This project seems to be REALLY taking shape...very nice work....
I shall start tinkering with it, after I'm done with Winamp, which is after I finish the current incarnation of my DVD, which is when my computer is done defragging.

Good luck on those exams...

As for an answer to your question....
When some programs install, they enter entries that are ONLY there untill the computer is restarted, but are loaded when the desktop loads. If the computer never gets to that point, the software that entered the entries may never get completely installed.

The next thing someone is going to ahve you do, is try to implement a plugin's part of the program, so people can design their own, and the plugin adds a page.....say....for selecting VisualStyle or something....Regtweaks maybe.....but just watch SOMEONE is going to ask for it.

EDIT: I removed the attachment to xper's post, so people don't download that first and then complain it doesn't work how the new one does. Some people are stupid, trust me
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

MarcoTips

MarcoTips

Junior

• Pip
  • 69 posts
I think there's a bug with the RestartWait switch, because instead of 10 seconds it turns out in almost 3 hours

pastl

pastl

• 21 posts
Hello Benjamin,

you've done really good :rolleyes: work with this little programm, but i've still a little reques for you :). Is it possible to put more command-lines in each process, like command.0, command.1,.......?

It would be good for a few apps, witch start themselve after the installation process. I mean something like that.

[Miranda IM]
command.0=%systemdrive%\Software\miranda\Setup.exe /S
command.1=taskkill.exe /F /IM config.exe
description=like ICQ

Thanks for your help and good luck for your exams. :D

pastl

syntax_13

syntax_13

• 27 posts
@pastl:

That would be a great feature. It could also be user to register programs through a .reg file. You know, first install and then register the installed program. That way you wouldn't need a seperate install option to register the installed software.

BenjaminKalytta

BenjaminKalytta

Developer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
@MarcoTips: You are right, is fixed now. I messed it up with milli seconds and multiplicated it with 1000 :)

Good luck on those exams...

Thx btw. I've got exam in "Programming Basics 2" today at 2pm. But I think this one is no problem for me;)

The next thing someone is going to ahve you do, is try to implement a plugin's part of the program, so people can design their own...

Yeah, that could be a good idea. May be this will be added in future.

I removed the attachment to xper's post, so people don't download that first and then complain it doesn't work how the new one does

Thank you, you are right that is really sensible.

@pastl: Ok I'll add this feature next days, maybe next friday after physics exam :rolleyes: May be sooner.

Benjamin Kalytta

pastl

pastl

• 21 posts
@Benjamin

Thank's a lot for doing this. :) :rolleyes:

but by the moment, your exams are more important than this

Pastl :D

BenjaminKalytta

BenjaminKalytta

Developer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
I just added command.x in version 1.6.1. Was not as much work as I thought:)

Benjamin Kalytta

pastl

pastl

• 21 posts
@Benjamin

than's alot for that.

:) :rolleyes:

i didn't thought that i'll get this so fast

pastl :D

PoloDude

PoloDude

Junior

• Pip
  • 57 posts
Is it possible to install programs from cd/dvd with wihu?
Like putting this in the [Environment]:
IF EXIST D:\CD.txt set CDROM=D:
IF EXIST E:\CD.txt set CDROM=E:
IF EXIST F:\CD.txt set CDROM=F:
IF EXIST G:\CD.txt set CDROM=G:
IF EXIST H:\CD.txt set CDROM=H:
IF EXIST I:\CD.txt set CDROM=I:
IF EXIST J:\CD.txt set CDROM=J:

Someone?

Thx!

Btw, superb progie! :)
poloplayers do it always 4 times, 7 minutes ^^

syntax_13

syntax_13

• 27 posts
@PoloDude

Starting progams from cd\dvd is possible.
Just start WIHU from cd and it will search on the same drive for the programs.
You don't need to use %cdrom% in your install.ini, instead use a command like this:

[Miranda IM]
command=miranda\Setup.exe /S
description=like ICQ

In the folder where wihu.exe is located it will look for the "miranda" folder and start "Setup.exe /S"

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts

The next thing someone is going to ahve you do, is try to implement a plugin's part of the program, so people can design their own...

Yeah, that could be a good idea. May be this will be added in future.

umm....I was kidding by the way. lol. It's great idea, but not in practice. There won't be many people that make the plugins if any.
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

BenjaminKalytta

BenjaminKalytta

Developer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

umm....I was kidding by the way.

oops :)

There won't be many people that make the plugins if any

This is also a bit exaggerated ... but it would make wihu more manageable in sense of code clearness, ... may be.
But currently Im dealing with how to find the name of the builtin administrator (you know, different languages uses different administrator names).
I already find a way to change the administrator name, currently im working on code to find machine SID to built the builtin administrator SID in shape of "S-1-5-32-machine_sid-500". I already find the registry key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY\SAM\Domains\Account)

Benjamin

PoloDude

PoloDude

Junior

• Pip
  • 57 posts
Is there a possibility to use some sub-sections?
Like when you have some "themes" you get something like this:

----Xtra Progiez ----
# Office 2003
# Photoshop CS
# Nokia PC Suite

------Codecs-------
# Divx Codec
# Xvid Codec
# AC3 Codec

-------Beta's-------
# Visual Webdeveloper 2005
# Visual Basic 2005
# SQL Server 2005

--- Xtra Filez -----
# Windows Visual Themes
# Xtra Wallpaperz
# Xtra Fonts

-----Regtweaks-----
# Visual FX Tweaks
# Services Tweaks

text between the ---- xxx ---- like bold or something
And # is the checkbox :D

Just a Q, would be nice though :rolleyes:

Keep up the great work! :)
poloplayers do it always 4 times, 7 minutes ^^

BenjaminKalytta

BenjaminKalytta

Developer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
@PoloDude: This is currently not possible, may be in future.

administrator account name can be changed now with /admin=<name>.
This is new in version 1.6.1.

Benjamin Kalytta

my2001

my2001

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

administrator account name can be changed now with /admin=<name>.

Is this a complete replacement for that renuser.exe, etc. stuff? :rolleyes: No other actions to be taken?

Would be kewl :)

Lost Soul

Lost Soul

Snap ... Crackle ... Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
thatsa handy tool indeed good job :)

This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But, it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

- Winston Churchill

Bilou_Gateux

Bilou_Gateux