Make a menu?

Question:

I have 2 pc's with difrend boards and videocards.

Is it posible to make a menu that gif's you the option to select the card/chipset type you need to install?

----->VIA/INTEL/SIS____NVIDIA/ATI.... and sound<-----

So that I can use one cd/dvd for 2 pc's

It must run after the selection in sillent mode again.

You think your users are better at knowing the hardware than XP?

Let XP install the drivers, then in your install script, determine which driver has been installed, either by the registry, or a known file.

Remember Murphy's Law, and that computers always do as they are told.

you can simply put your drivers in the XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers folder if they are supported and hardware it's detected will be installed without problems. also i haven't been sucessful in slipstreaming the catalyst drivers and i add to my startup folder a shotcut to the catalyst installation. if you are in the other pc simply cancel installation or install them in the pc with the ati card.

i have ATI Catylyst from 4/21 or something around there, and they work fine in my unattended setup. I guess I better update soon.

@Alanoll did u use the XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers folder?? did u use the standart catalyst version or omega one?? i know that recently have been released a new version (4.6) but i haven't test it yet

I've done something similar using windows scripting. I created two files installVideo.bat and installVideo.vbs. The batch files calls the vbs file and then uses the return code to determine if a specific hardware device is present. Note that it is cleaner to just call the Run command from the vbs file but Norton AV didn't like this.

installVideo.bat

@echo off

cscript /nologo "%~dp0installVideo.vbs"

if errorlevel 1 goto :Skip1

rem put your application here in place of notepad.

start /wait notepad

:Skip1

installVideo.vbs

On Error Resume Next

sql="Select * from Win32_VideoController"

strPNPSearchFor="PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5046&SUBSYS_00281002&REV_00"

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

strComputer = "."

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery(sql,,48)

For Each objItem in colItems

strPNPDeviceID = CStr(objItem.PNPDeviceID)

WScript.Echo InStr(strPNPDeviceID, strPNPSearchFor)

if InStr(strPNPDeviceID, strPNPSearchFor) then

rem WshShell.Run ("notepad") 'Problem with Norton AV

WScript.Quit 0

end if

Next

Wscript.Quit 1

Use the Scriptomatic Utility to build the sql strings for the type of device you are looking for (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=9ef05cbd-c1c5-41e7-9da8-212c414a7ab0). You can also use it to determine the PNP ID of your devices or use something like Unknown Device Identifier ( http://www.halfdone.com/Development/UnknownDevices/

URL fixed! :)

Edited by gamehead200

Sorry, I have to butt in here ...

As a software developer, I believe THIS article. The software you linked to is ... not good. Please read this link, and if you agree, link to the correct version of the program, and not the ... other.

For PCI identification, nearly all available software is based on Craig Hart's PCI work. His site has links that should help you find what you need.

EDIT:: Link above has been changed to that of the original software, not the low life stolen version. Shame on you, you software thief.

I agree with GM. A friend of mine got burnt when trying to figure out which one of those programs were the original. He got the version with the nasty batch file bug.

Can I suggest a moderator remove the URL to the crappy one?

I agree with GM. A friend of mine got burnt when trying to figure out which one of those programs were the original. He got the version with the nasty batch file bug.

Can I suggest a moderator remove the URL to the crappy one?

Is it fixed now? :) Did I fix the right one? :rolleyes:

if you reaaaally wanted to integrate a menu system where you can choose what drivers to install... why not use WPI to do this?

personally i believe in the $OEM$\$1\Drivers install method for all hardware is definitely the best...

but... if you desperately wanted a menu, use WPI :) you could have tick boxes for the driver software... you could make one tick box that does multiple installs too so it would be easy

WPI Thread

It uses HTA and Javascript...

all you have to do is edit the files in WPISCRIPTS directory... it's pretty self explanatory (I'd never used java and worked it out)...

I run it from cmdlines.txt:

wpi.cmd

wpi.cmd:

@start /wait %systemdrive%\install\wpi\WPI.hta
@start %systemdrive%\install\install.cmd

Put the WPI folder into $OEM$\$1\install

Put the wpi.cmd in your $OEM$ folder where cmdlines.txt is

Note: the install.cmd is actually created by WPI.. .you do not need to put an install.cmd in your $1\install directory