Dotnet framework from cd

I am trying to install the dotnet framework from the cd, but nothing I do will let me install it.

I have unpacked it and put the contents in %CDROM%\DOTNETFX\

Running this command, or clicking on explorer gives an error asking for me to insert the .net framework v1.1 cd

MSIEXEC.EXE /i %CDROM%\DOTNETFX\netfx.msi /qb

I have also tried using the unpacked version with different command lines, and that doesn't work either.

My only question is, is there any way to get this working from the cd, other than having to copy it to the hard drive?

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here using

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Applications\NetFramework\netfx.msi /qb" /f

Anyone with a solution?

wat about

msiexec.exe /i "%CDROM%\Applications\NetFramework\netfx.msi /qb"

Windows Installer

---------------------

[!] This installation package could not be opened. Verify

that the package exists and that you can access it, or

contact the application vendor to verify that this is a

valid Windows Installer package.

Note that using the files in the $1\install directory work. It's just when the files are on the CD does it fail. I would prefer not to copy the files to HDD, execute, then delete said files.

this seems 2 work for alot of ppl

REG ADD %KEY%\035 /VE /D "Instalando NET Framework 1" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\035 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Inst\Soft\Framework\netfx.msi /qb" /f

other then that, im not sure

Yah, that's what I have reverted to doing. Using a $1\Install directory to copy the files to the systemdrive, then deleting the install folder using a cleanup.cmd at the end of RunOnceEx. It works, but I sure would like to keep everything together on the CD. Oh well.

Mine works rom cmdlines.txt at t-12 minutes in win2k, i use:

ECHO Installing Microsoft .NET Redistributable
START "Installing Microsoft .NET Redistributable" /WAIT ".\DotNet\dotnetfx.exe" /Q:A /c:"install /q"

and the redist is the standard redist, not sure where you've got that msi version from.

There seems to be a little confusion here. The problem is installing from the CD.

REG ADD %KEY%\035 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Inst\Soft\Framework\netfx.msi /qb" /f

The above works because the installation is on the %systemdrive, not the CD.

START "Installing Microsoft .NET Redistributable" /WAIT ".\DotNet\dotnetfx.exe" /Q:A /c:"install /q"

Likewise, the above works because you are extracting the redistributable to the C: drive.

Again, there doesn't seem to be a way to install directly from the CD, as the error specified (insert CD) manifests itself.

At no point does the dotnetfx.exe file get copied to the hard drive, it is run from the cd, the .\ syntax is used in the commands.cmd file i run from cmdlines.txt. This part of the setup runs from the distribution media. If i wanted to run it from the hard drive i'd use the %SystemDrive% environment variable and i'd have to have it copied there.

I've got dx9 ie6 .net and a number of tools not normally available on path running from the distribution cd at t-12 (or is it 13?), entirely possible. All i did was read the guides here and other places on the net and then look for the silent install switches, no magic and certainly no copying to the hard drive required.

You're getting dotnetfx.exe and netfx.msi confused.

Bottom line is that netfx.msi must be located in a writable path. When you run dotnetfx.exe from CD (or from anywhere) it automatically extracts netfx.msi to your TEMP path which should always be writable. So whenever you're talking about dotnetfx.exe, it doesn't matter where you launch it from. Dotnetfx.exe is not the actual installer; it's merely an IExpress wrapper for netfx.msi which must run from hard disk.

If you pre-extract netfx.msi and burn it to CD/DVD, you cannot install it directly from there. You have to copy netfx.msi to hard disk yourself (or let the \$OEM\$1 thing take care of it, in the case of Unattended Setup or RIS).

At no point does the dotnetfx.exe file get copied to the hard drive, it is run from the cd [...]

As hosebeast pointed out (great U/N, BTW), dotnetfx extracts contents to the HDD prior to installation, so you ARE installing from the %systemdrive% if you realize it or not. It really doesn't matter if the installer extracts it, or if you copy it over via $OEM$\$1. The results are the same... I just didn't want any part of the installation files on the HDD, but currently it seems not possible.

Let me get people back on topic here.

Dotnetfx.exe should extract to your hard drive the msi files and run install them there. I understand this. I have tried running wrapper package from the cd, and no luck. It gives an error. The only way I can get this to work is to copy it to the hd, and run it there.

What I was asking is if there is a way to run it from the hd, either in the wrapper, or out. Maybe because AMDTWraith is on win2k, it works. I'm trying on XP Pro SP1a with no updates.

Anymore updates would be helpful.