Automatically setting home page

codeblue

As students always change the home page i need the home page to be set to Google each time the computer is turned on.

I have identifyed the reg key (see below) and put it in the Start UP folder. To hide it from prying eyes i set it to Hidden, but this only resulted in it not being activated. Although when NOT set to hidden it does activate but comes up with a message needing exceptance to inport key.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Start Page"="http://www.google.co.uk/"

I need a way of setting the home page without user intervention or 3rd party software (due to licence issues) apon start up.

thanx

You can have regedit import a .reg file silently, without user input. Make a shortcut and put this for the command line -

REGEDIT.EXE /S "C:\somepath somewhere\regfilename.REG"

Just replace the directory path and .REG file name with location and name of your .REG file. Be sure to use the quotes "".

Thanks neosapience, this is what ive got, and it does work....

cls
@ECHO OFF
REGEDIT.EXE /S "C:\hp.reg"
EXIT

...but, the .bat file can still be seen in the StartUP folder and if it is 'Hidden' it doesn't activate on start up. Also a Dos scren appears when activated, any clues on how to hid the dos prompt?

If the computer logs on to a network, then move the regkey to run from the login.bat file.

If its a stand alone pc, you can edit the win.ini file and use the "run" line to install the key.

Hope this helps.

First, you don't have to make a batch file for it. You can just make a shortcut and put the command line in it.

Anyway, if you're worried about people seeing it in the startup folder, there's a way you run it without putting it in the startup folder. Make a .reg file with the code below. Just run it ONE time. It will place a command in the registry that will instruct windows to run the 'REGEDIT.EXE /S "C:\hp.reg"' command every time windows starts.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"homepagefix"="REGEDIT.EXE /S \"C:\\HP.REG\""

Let me know how it works for ya.