about unsigned drivers

weihuisheng

Hmm, don't think so.

Why are people signing drivers?

One good reason is that they want to guarantee the driver is unchanged! If you change the driver e.g. by editing the INF the driver is changed and the CAT doesn't fit to the driver (the CAT contains a hash). Or you may also say the driver is unsigned.

Hmm, don't think so.

Why are people signing drivers?

One good reason is that they want to guarantee the driver is unchanged! If you change the driver e.g. by editing the INF the driver is changed and the CAT doesn't fit to the driver (the CAT contains a hash). Or you may also say the driver is unsigned.

Then let's take a quick look at one.

Here's the inf of the Audigy ZS' driver:

[Version]
Signature="$CHICAGO$"
Class=MEDIA
ClassGUID={4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
provider=%CREAF%
LayoutFile=layout.inf, layout1.inf, layout2.inf
DriverVer=10/21/2003, 5.12.05.0441
CatalogFile=wdma_emu.cat<==========================

OK, the reference to the CAT file is still in the INF but the signature is no more valid for any changed files. The CAT file contains a tag and hash code for every component of the driver. If one of them is changed the signature is broken.

I tried to find some info about this mechanism. The following PowerPoint presentation is the best I found: http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/f...740/driver2.ppt

Another thing I want to know is that the changes to winnt.sif will be automatically applied to the xp installation?

When I modify the winnt.sif and put my personal settings into it,could I get it automatically applied in the xp installation?

Could I get the xp unattended installation by modifying it instead of using the windows unattended installation?