Advanced Options check box in search menu

Hi.

Is it possible to tick the Advanced Options check box in the search menu via registry? I've located the Advanced options tweak reg keys but can't find out the most important part: how to get XP to "remember" to use those Options. Only thing I've found is the .vbs script in Kelly's korner but it's not really an ideal option for a global corporate Windows XP unattanded package. I've disabled the search assistant.

Thanks in advance,

-JP

i don't think it matters, usually without checking anything it'll look for hidden files and such. But ive never found a way to auto check the box. You could use regmon to see what key it writes too.

-gosh

• 1 month later...

When searching, advanced options does need to be checked...I added reg tweaks to allow the searching of hidden and whatnot, and when I click on advanced they are all selected, but if I dont click on advanced, it WILL NOT search through the windows folder...has been tested by me...was looking for close.cmd, which existed in windows dir, searched without advanced, didnt find anything, clicked advanced and it found it in windows...it would be nice to find this reg tweak to allow that to be checked...I may use inctrl5 to find it...depends on how i feel.

• 4 years later...

I realize how old this issue is and recent web search still finds no solution.

Has anyone here gotten search to remember the user choice to use Advanced Options?

Or should I just remove search and use a better alternative?

Recommend better alternative???

TIA

Here you go...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Enable advanced Search options
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"SearchSystemDirs"=dword:00000001
"SearchHidden"=dword:00000001
"IncludeSubFolders"=dword:00000001
"CaseSensitive"=dword:00000000
"SearchSlowFiles"=dword:00000000

Yep, found those on a previous search, but those and various other tweaks in that key did not KEEP ticked the Advanced Options check box.

beats, do you have Search Assistant enabled?

Edited by RUSerious

I and others have confirmed that the other options (that do stay ticked) within / below the Advanced Options check box are not actually enabled until the Advanced Options check box is ticked.

I also use classic search and have Indexing Service disabled, in case these settings make any difference.

fwiw, I customize the Default User profile and have this setup the way I want. Haven't had an issue with it once I copy the configured profile over to Default Users. But that's not necessarily an option for unattended installs.

fwiw, I customize the Default User profile and have this setup the way I want. Haven't had an issue with it once I copy the configured profile over to Default Users. But that's not necessarily an option for unattended installs.
Are there some config / ini files in locations like "C:\Profiles\Administrator\Application Data\Windows Search", or anywhere else, that I might be missing?

I and others have confirmed that the other options (that do stay ticked) within / below the Advanced Options check box are not actually enabled until the Advanced Options check box is ticked.

I also use classic search and have Indexing Service disabled, in case these settings make any difference.

Strange, I never had that problem. Searching subdirectories and hidden files / directories etc. work just fine without ticking the Adanced Options tab first. I have the Indexing Service disabled as well (+ many more). I also do have 'view hidden' and 'system' files etc. turned on in Windows Explorer / Folder Options by default. Maybe the latter is related?

Yes, I also have 'view hidden' and 'system' files & show extensions turned on (don't want anything hidden).

I keep thinking there has got to be some configuration file or something that so many people are missing.

Don't know how you are getting it to find system / hidden files without having the Advanced Options checked.

Would you happen to have run a system wide attribute remover at some time?

Did you happen to verify the attributes of those files found?

Just fishing for anything here... since I can't imagine the folks at M$ doing all these little adjustments every time they want to do some serious searching. Mine will also not remember window position or view settings.