Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Advanced Options check box in search menu

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

jammupatu

jammupatu
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 01-June 04
Hi.

Is it possible to tick the Advanced Options check box in the search menu via registry? I've located the Advanced options tweak reg keys but can't find out the most important part: how to get XP to "remember" to use those Options. Only thing I've found is the .vbs script in Kelly's korner but it's not really an ideal option for a global corporate Windows XP unattanded package. I've disabled the search assistant.

Thanks in advance,

-JP

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

gosh

gosh

gosh 2.0

• Patrons
  • 2,347 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
i don't think it matters, usually without checking anything it'll look for hidden files and such. But ive never found a way to auto check the box. You could use regmon to see what key it writes too.

-gosh

Lucius Snow

Lucius Snow

• PipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Joined 17-August 04
Exact same problem here. After some search, i fell on this thread. By the way, Kelly's tweak doesn't work here.

I guess many of you runs the search in classical mode. Any ideas ?

Thank you.

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
When searching, advanced options does need to be checked...I added reg tweaks to allow the searching of hidden and whatnot, and when I click on advanced they are all selected, but if I dont click on advanced, it WILL NOT search through the windows folder...has been tested by me...was looking for close.cmd, which existed in windows dir, searched without advanced, didnt find anything, clicked advanced and it found it in windows...it would be nice to find this reg tweak to allow that to be checked...I may use inctrl5 to find it...depends on how i feel.
When I spotted this little cutie with some sex appeal. I winked at her, she gave me a look like I'm a booger. I thought b***h, I'd rather spend my money on a hooker. Then a bright idea ran across my mind, if I could swipe a manikin I'd have a freak all the time.

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
after checking with inctrl5 and regshot, it does not seem to be a reg setting to auto check advanced.
When I spotted this little cutie with some sex appeal. I winked at her, she gave me a look like I'm a booger. I thought b***h, I'd rather spend my money on a hooker. Then a bright idea ran across my mind, if I could swipe a manikin I'd have a freak all the time.

Lucius Snow

Lucius Snow

• PipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Joined 17-August 04
Still nothing found on my side :(

I posted a message on microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize :
<412e6202$0$19228$626a14ce@news.free.fr>

Somebody may know over there, we never know ...

RUSerious

RUSerious

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 16-September 08
I realize how old this issue is and recent web search still finds no solution.
Has anyone here gotten search to remember the user choice to use Advanced Options?
Or should I just remove search and use a better alternative?
Recommend better alternative???
TIA

beats

beats

Free cookies

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Joined 08-November 07
Here you go...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Enable advanced Search options
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"SearchSystemDirs"=dword:00000001
"SearchHidden"=dword:00000001
"IncludeSubFolders"=dword:00000001
"CaseSensitive"=dword:00000000
"SearchSlowFiles"=dword:00000000

Building switchless installers and addons upon request for registered RyanVM.net and WinCert members.

RUSerious

RUSerious

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 16-September 08
Yep, found those on a previous search, but those and various other tweaks in that key did not KEEP ticked the Advanced Options check box.
beats, do you have Search Assistant enabled?

Edited by RUSerious, 25 September 2008 - 06:12 AM.

beats

beats

Free cookies

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Joined 08-November 07
No, I use classic search. But what's the point keeping the Advanced Options check box ticked? All options beneath it will be enabled by default with these registry entries.
Building switchless installers and addons upon request for registered RyanVM.net and WinCert members.

RUSerious

RUSerious

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 16-September 08
I and others have confirmed that the other options (that do stay ticked) within / below the Advanced Options check box are not actually enabled until the Advanced Options check box is ticked.
I also use classic search and have Indexing Service disabled, in case these settings make any difference.

Mordac85

Mordac85

Jack of all trades, master of none

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Joined 26-January 04
fwiw, I customize the Default User profile and have this setup the way I want. Haven't had an issue with it once I copy the configured profile over to Default Users. But that's not necessarily an option for unattended installs.
~Mordac85

Common sense is not so common.
~Voltaire

RUSerious

RUSerious

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 16-September 08

fwiw, I customize the Default User profile and have this setup the way I want. Haven't had an issue with it once I copy the configured profile over to Default Users. But that's not necessarily an option for unattended installs.

Are there some config / ini files in locations like "C:\Profiles\Administrator\Application Data\Windows Search", or anywhere else, that I might be missing?

beats

beats

Free cookies

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Joined 08-November 07

I and others have confirmed that the other options (that do stay ticked) within / below the Advanced Options check box are not actually enabled until the Advanced Options check box is ticked.
I also use classic search and have Indexing Service disabled, in case these settings make any difference.

Strange, I never had that problem. Searching subdirectories and hidden files / directories etc. work just fine without ticking the Adanced Options tab first. I have the Indexing Service disabled as well (+ many more). I also do have 'view hidden' and 'system' files etc. turned on in Windows Explorer / Folder Options by default. Maybe the latter is related?

RUSerious

RUSerious

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 16-September 08
Yes, I also have 'view hidden' and 'system' files & show extensions turned on (don't want anything hidden).
I keep thinking there has got to be some configuration file or something that so many people are missing.
Don't know how you are getting it to find system / hidden files without having the Advanced Options checked.
Would you happen to have run a system wide attribute remover at some time?
Did you happen to verify the attributes of those files found?
Just fishing for anything here... since I can't imagine the folks at M$ doing all these little adjustments every time they want to do some serious searching. Mine will also not remember window position or view settings.

RUSerious

RUSerious

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 16-September 08
Also tried changing folder options from classic to show tasks, but no diff.

JayMan

JayMan

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 21-September 10

Its been 11yrs - why hasn't this issue been fixed by MS?

Has anyone found any type of fix or work around.

From my experiemtning, is seems that the following reg entries:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"SearchSystemDirs"=dword:00000001
"SearchHidden"=dword:00000001
"IncludeSubFolders"=dword:00000001
"CaseSensitive"=dword:00000000
"SearchSlowFiles"=dword:00000000

are ignored by the Classic Search unless one selects the Advanced box.

And also Classic Search ignores the:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant]
"UseAdvancedSearchAlways"=dword:00000001

So how do we get Classic Search to see these, or what reg entries will it see?

I hope we can finally get a solution - especially since this has been complained about for over 11 years!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

gunsmokingman