Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

custom batterypack for usb harddrive?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

X-Ecutioner

X-Ecutioner

eXPerience my ass.

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Joined 21-October 03
Im planing on buying a usb2.0 case for my 40gig spare maxtor drive. Im on the road a lot and my laptop rarely leaves my side. I was thinking about throwing 8 AA or 8 C batteries to make a battery pack to power the usb harddrive when i am not near an outlet.
My question is how long would the harddrive last on the batteries? and if the batteries slowly die, will all my data get corrupted? I do plan on testing this out but just wanted to hear any thoughts.

Thanks
My Gaming Rig... - Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 (2.13ghz) - Asus P5B Deluxe - OCZ 2 GB PC7200 800Mhz Dual Channel DDR2 RAM - ASUS 8800 GT 512MB - Creative Labs Audigy 2 Platinum Ex - 3x 500GB Hard Drive - 8x DL DVD-Burner - XP SP2 / Vista x86 Dual-boot

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

MSFN SuperB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
if u're going to be on the road with a car get a car power cord hook it up to the lighter, or whatever u wanna call that plug in the car..

if the power dies the file u're working on is likely to be corrupt. I don't think anything else will happen..
Power(watt/sec) = I(amper) V(volt) :)
so verify the watt your hdd needs and calculate it. overall i don't think its a good idea to use batteries instead hook it up to your car battery :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users