desktop icons

Lost Soul

i have a question?!!??

%userprofile% is what?? my account name or defualt user???

jrzycrim

the method that u use is excelent....

just del all links in the desktop,quick launch and start menu... then extract one file with all links that really matter...

the compressed file can be made with the winrar (Sfx file wih the default path set ex: C:\documents and settings...)

and then with /s make a silent "copy"....?????

%userprofile% would be the currently logged on user. I do mine from RunOnceEx while logged on as Administrator. Before logon, say from cmdlines.txt, the default user would apply.

I'd recommend doing it from GUIRunOnce or RunOnceEx since doing it before the guisetup finishes wouldn't work so well.

I've never used Winrar so I'm not sure.

let me see i create the autologn file with my account...

accounts.cmd... with a reg file associated!

i have sure that when i run the Guirunonce i 'm logged in with my profile created and not the administrator....

but all the apps i install runs in the guirunonce... so i just have to add something in the end of my start .cmd (that's the name of the batch file :) ) something like this:

RD /Q /S %allusersprofile%\Desktop (removes the dir and all subdir)

RD /Q /S %allusersprofile%\Start Menu

RD /Q /S c:\docs_settings\Defualt user\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

RD /Q /S %userprofile%\Desktop (removes the dir and all subdir)

RD /Q /S %userprofile%\Start Menu

about the winrar it should work... in the options when creating the archive

just have to select to decompress in c:\documents and setings and select to overwrite

by the way whats the diference between the default user and the account name that is logged in?!!?

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that shortcut is in the Defaut User Start Menu. It will be copied over to any new account which is created. You'll probably need to delete it from "%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Program Compatibility Wizard.lnk" and from "%systemdrive%\documents and settings\default user\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Program Compatibility Wizard.lnk" if you don't want it to be copied to new accounts.

Can't remember if there is a variable for the Default User directory.

• 2 months later...

i don't get it...i'm sure it's been said before but my brain is fried. all i see in the Docs and Settings folder are three folders, one named "All Users" one named "Default User" and another named "Mr X" (my name). the Default User is hidden by default (no pun), which one is the Admin account?

i use RunOnceEx.

• 1 year later...

Well chyronn, Mr X would be the admin then. Seeing as windows requries at least one admin account. Or is Administor idden too? ;)

I only use DEL "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Program Compatibility Wizard.lnk" myself. ;)