dx won't install and component

I use the DirectxSetup api as i said. You write a very very small program that calls the api and causes the install to start, part of that program is to pass the arguments required to make it install silently. The program guts can be found a few posts down in this thread. You need the DX headers, which are free in the DX sdk, the lib file, which is also in the sdk. the redist which is free and a c (or possibly any other language you like i suppose, all it requires is the ability to call the dll with parameters) compiler, i use the microsoft compiler myself but you can get that from them free as well.

It installs with a progress dialogue, at no point am i prompted to agree to the eula or asked to confim anything. I've got this working in my 2K unattended install and its installed dozens of times without problems or interaction. This method uses unhacked standard redist files that are entirely freely available from microsoft if you have the time to find and download them.

Well I made it back.

Looks like there has been a little bit of activity since I've been burning and installing :)

Thank you.

I've downloaded the rar, and will attempt to install one more time. Although it may take me a little bit longer since I need to rebuild my xp install cd.

I'm wondering if my issue is related to the fact I'm using sp1 and not sp1a.

Let me ask, is anyone adjusting the dosnet.inf when slipping dx?

I'm going to try the dx9ntopk 1st, then go for the coding; I don't suppose you could post the exe?

Should be back in a day or so. I'm starting to think my master xp cd is corrupted.

Thank you once again.

the only way I edit dosnet.inf is when I add a hotfix, or the files I would normally have in $OEM$ (so I don't have to use OEMPreInstall=YES)

I run DX9OPK from CD and have never had a problem. Also, the OPK is NOT a hacked file. It's the Official release from Microsoft from their system builders website. Same place we got the WMP9 and MM2 bundle.

The only thing I can think of for why you're getting those errors, is.....

Read Error from CD

Download Error (corrupt download, perhaps MD5 sums should be added somewhere on this board)

the only way I edit dosnet.inf is when I add a hotfix, or the files I would normally have in $OEM$ (so I don't have to use OEMPreInstall=YES)

I run DX9OPK from CD and have never had a problem. Also, the OPK is NOT a hacked file. It's the Official release from Microsoft from their system builders website. Same place we got the WMP9 and MM2 bundle.

The only thing I can think of for why you're getting those errors, is.....

Read Error from CD

Download Error (corrupt download, perhaps MD5 sums should be added somewhere on this board)

better asking the topicstarter how he has doing it before, use a OPK or a hacked file? what he says do me think about my experience 2 days ago, when i try to install Dx9 when SFC was enabled....

Resources:

Take the attatched file and extract the contents to a folder. If you want to use your own versions of dsetuplib and dsetuph replace the versions in the folder with your own. Edit the batch file to correctly setup your compilation environment and then run it. The output (if it works) is silentsetup.exe.

Take silentsetup.exe and place it in the folder that the dx9 redistributable files were extracted to, this folder should contain some cabs, an exe, an msi and most importantly the dll files dsetup.dll and dsetup32.dll.

Call silentsetup.exe in your setup and a progress dialogue will be shown, no interaction will be required though and dx will be fully installed.

The executable is included in the zip file but i'd really much rather your all learnt how to make it for yourselves than use my version.

silent_dx.zip

Resources:

Take the attatched file and extract the contents to a folder. If you want to use your own versions of dsetuplib and dsetuph replace the versions in the folder with your own. Edit the batch file to correctly setup your compilation environment and then run it. The output (if it works) is silentsetup.exe.

Take silentsetup.exe and place it in the folder that the dx9 redistributable files were extracted to, this folder should contain some cabs, an exe, an msi and most importantly the dll files dsetup.dll and dsetup32.dll.

Call silentsetup.exe in your setup and a progress dialogue will be shown, no interaction will be required though and dx will be fully installed.

The executable is included in the zip file but i'd really much rather your all learnt how to make it for yourselves than use my version.

220 MB??? i think u means 22 mb?

but it seems i have right, because the OPK or redistributable or SDK is only for english version? so i still need that hacked version? i am using dutch xp prof sp1a

220 MB??? i think u means 22 mb?

but it seems i have right, because the OPK or redistributable or SDK is only for english version? so i still need that hacked version? i am using dutch xp prof sp1a

No, i mean 220 meg. Actually 223237 KB according to microsoft, and its their file so they'd know. Its the SDK, full retail and debug versions of everything plus libraries source code examples documentation and all sorts. SDK's are big but if you want the original files then thats what you need. You don't need anything but 2 small files form this and none of it gets put on the distribution media in the end. As i said while i've provided all the required files its really much better if you use the resources i've linked to and make your own, i'm not sure its permitted to provide those files like that. Do it right and you've broken no agreements, not even implicity or by proxy, which can be important for some people.

The redist is smaller but thats just the client files, its only 35 meg.

The setup api should work with localised versions, there is nothing specifying language in the setup, all it requires is the redist files (which could well be the dutch version) to install. Make up a virtual machine and give it a try, i'm using english windows so i don't use localised versions myself.

Hey ppl,

there seems to be a fair bit of complication on this thread. We know to solve it, dont we? - use the hacked file itself (never mind broken agreements, implicitly or by proxy, which can be important for some people).

Forget about complicated/long-drawn-out processes, here's the simple way:

<extract-directx dxsetup.exe hex-edit>

Personally i'd say compiling a small executable is considerably easier than hex editing someone else's installer. I hex edit when i need to but its always as a last resort because there is usually a better option.

In this case there is an option that allows anyone to use only freely provided files without any risk of violating any license agreements, given the choice personally i'll use that option because i'm slightly obsessive and i like to do things in what i consider the "right" way. Each to their own.

I was greatly irritated when i started trying to create my slipstream install that there wasn't a legitmate way to install dx silently. I'm sorry but a hack is a hack and using an opk version installer when i'm not entitled to use it (though it may be easy to get) is a bar to my using it. When i did find that there was a way to do it i thought it'd be a good idea to tell people because there may other people out there who don't want to use hacked or illicit files in their distribution media.

Using the provided api may also allow localised versions of direct to be slipstreamed which will help some people no doubt. Certainly this method is harder than simply downloading someone else's files and using them. But its also more elegant in my opinion, its using the resources provided to achieve the goal the way it was designed to be achieved. I like that.

Once again I'm back, and going to dissappear to try some more options. So let me start out once again by saying thank you.

It appears this thread was about to diverge. I think my issue is with my original CD; however, this does not explain why dx 9 correctly when I double click dxsetup.exe.

On a side note, I called up Msft and they agreed to ship me a new one for free. All retail/upgrade versions are entitled to get 1 free. When SP2 ships, I can get a new CD for $14.00 USD.

Anyway, I'm going to get rid of my unattend and restore dosnet and see what happens. If I'm lucky, I get to attempt this 3 times a day (wake up/lunch/sleep).

Actually...brb

Fun stuff I tell you. My dosnet.inf has two [files], [OptionalSrcDirs], and [ForceCopyDriverCabFiles]:rolleyes:

And they appear to be coming from the /integrage:<path> option for

kb840374

I guess msft's installer doesn't check for an updated dosnet.inf, nor svcpack.inf for that matter (I remember it over wrote my old svcpack.inf).

As for my dosnet.inf, I install the patch(es), I extract conents, compare the files to see which are really in use/updated, then move the required files to my i386, and finally check my dosnet.inf to see if the file is already listed. If it ain't, I add it to the [files] and [force...] sections. Since I have a system running dx9, I used my above process for the contents of the opk.

Once again, I'll be back, and thank you.

PS: if we're going to diverge, there is a new msft tweakui powertoy. Anyone know of usable command switches? Have tried /q, /qb, /s /v/q(|n|b|!), but then again, my dosnet is messed up. Oh nevermind, one thing at a time. :)

PPS: Thank you AMD for the download. I'm between vs 97 and vs .nyet right now. I have the software, just in the process of trying to get my xp correct first.

Some 1,400 files later, I've got a few notes:

First, dosnet.inf does have two [files] sections

Next, upon removing useless files, I have 830 files (includes everything needed); getting rid of kb/q exe's, security cat's, inf's, and multi language I am left with 615 files. From these 615, there are 453 included in the i386 folder by default. Although, I could be off by 30 files either way (comparing sp1 i386 to the extracted contents leads me to believe I can further remove another 26 files).

Finally, where am I getting some of my files:

dplayx.dll 5.3.0.903 <- msfn's rar gave 900

dpwsockx.dll 5.3.0.903

dsound.vxd <- 1.5 year diff between sp1 and dx9 rar

fpencode.dll 2003.1100.5510.0

hccoin.dll 5.1.2600.1515 <- not sp1 nor update file

msconv97.dll 2003.1100.5510

qsaf.dll <- which 1 do you have: 9.0.0.2980 or 6.5.1.900
usbccgp.sys 5.1.2600.1515 <- these should be 1243

usbehci.sys 5.1.2600.1515

usbhub.sys 5.1.2600.1515

usbohci.sys 5.1.2600.1515

usbport.sys 5.1.2600.1516

usbuhci.sys 5.1.2600.1515

So now I get the fun of actually replacing files with my dvd, then finally testing the opk.

Prathapml, on the old msft powertoys, the svqn switches work fine, it's with the new powertoy.

Give me one more day, and I should have a new DVD.

Once again, thank.

As for qchain, I found an interesting kb, 815062

updated qchain fix for xp/2k

Anyway, looks like I really messed things up somewhere :)

Stupidly I deleted my entire image and started from scratch. Now my setuperr.log is hugh.

Thank you, all of you, for all your comments and help. I've got lots of work trying to figure out what to change and replace.

Does msfn keep a list of up to date files, including version numbers, referenced to kb/q files, and placement in the cmdlines vs svcpack? If not, anyone interested in starting one?

Thank you