Auto Arrange Desktop Icons Setting?

hmm if I recall its stored in the NTUSER.DAT thats located in your user folder....this also applys to Quick Launch if I recall also....but its been a while since I read the topic so I could be wrong.

ntuser.dat is a registry hive that is mounted in HKEY_CURRENT_USER when the user logs on, which means it is stored somewhere in the registry. But where? I've also used regshot and it shows no changes being made to the registry.

Auto Arrange is stored in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop]

Example:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop]
"FFlags"=dword:00000225

I narrowed it down to the FFlags Value.

I didn't test this with an unattended install. Here's what I did as far as testing:

I checked Auto Arrange, logged off and logged back on. I exported the key. I then turned Auto Arrange back off, logged out and logged back in again. I then killed explorer from Task Manager, launched a command prompt, then imported the reg file. When I launched Explorer, my Icons were arranged and auto arrange was enabled in the context menu. I went through this process three times just to make sure.

I'd recommend postitioning your icons the way you want, log out and log back in to insure those settings are written to the registry. Then export the entire key. During the unattended installation, import it before first logon.

After some more testing, I found out some values to use with FFlags and Sort:

Auto Arrange off, Align to Grid off:
"FFlags"=dword:00000220

Auto Arrange on:
"FFlags"=dword:00000221

Auto Arrange off - align to Grid On:
"FFlags"=dword:00000224

Auto Arange on, Align to Grid on:
"FFlags"=dword:00000225

Hide Desktop Icons:
"FFlags"=dword:00001220

Sort by name:
"Sort"=dword:00000000

Sort by size:
"Sort"=dword:00000001

Sort by type:
"Sort"=dword:00000002

Sort by Modified:
"Sort"=dword:00000003

For example, if you wanted to enable auto arrange and sort by type:

"FFlags"=dword:00000221
"Sort"=dword:00000002

Somewhat related question...

In my unattended setup, certain customized shortcuts get placed on my Desktop.

However, I would like to arrange some on the left side of the screen, and some on the right... For example, it could be my games on the right side. And, I am not interested in having them displayed in alphabetical order, or any other sorting routine, other than my owm customized placements.

Is there a way to automate the placement of these shortcuts? I tried the method of taking a snapshot of the registry, but it didn't work for me...

Thanks...! :)

After arranging your icons like you want them, log off and then log back on, open Regedit and export this key:

You'll need to import this before the first logon.