Corrupt Files On Original CD

More than likely, most people here do a fresh install quite often. It won't be long before the CD that came with the system, or purchased on it's own with the operating system on it starts to falter. The last few reformat - fresh installations I have done did not work out properly.

I've found that my XP pro CD has files that are corrupt (I've contacted Microsoft, it is an OEM version and going that route is a huge hassle).

So far, it seems all the bad files are grouped together in the i386 folder. Is there a method to find out which are good and which are bad?

It is a legit CD, so I want to keep my numbers, just exchange some of the bad files.

It was through doing that, in preparation to make an Unattenended Installation CD that I found some to be corrupt.

Using the command prompt to compare it with other files didn't seem to be much use either.

If you honestly have an original, which I believe you do, I'd just get a copy off a friend or neighbor. As you have an original license with your own key, that shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck,

eNuffSaid

As enuffsaid said, you have a Windows XP license, not a CD license :)

It's not important which method you install from (some people here never use their cd anymore: copy to a network share, installation from backup CD, CD modification as with nLite...) as long as the version your method use match your license!

• 4 months later...

sorry guys, haven't been here in a while, hopefully you see and respond to this.

I'm a bit confused here, about borrowing a CD from a friend. To be honest I have lost count of how many different versions are laying around here. Dime a dozen.

However I do have one purchased legit OEM of XP Pro.

Because it several weeks allowance saved up, I don't want to lose out on it, just because I'm bad at putting it back in its case right away.

What good would a different copy do (assuming it is the same version)? You can't just put any legit code into any CD (I think?).

How would this work?

````````````````````````````````````````

To svasutin;

I found out what OEM stands for when you purchase a OS .... same as SOL. Microsoft will not help in any way with an OEM disk.

`````````````````````````````````````````

Oh ya, don't tell anybody about those other versions ..... its a secret.

No way!

Oh man, for months I've been dealing with stuff going goofy on me because of a bunch of corrupt files.

Seen the popup box 'we're sorry but XXXXX has encountered an error and needs to close. We are sorry for any inconvenience ... blah blah blah'

Thats good news, thanks

time to clean the slate

Well, seems I started high fivin' everybody a little prematurely.

I think most of the 'other copies' laying around are worth about the same as I paid for them (and always treated as such).

I think I have come up with one other OEM, but at a glance is well used and scuffed up.

Before the install, how do you know what version you have?

Because I'm in the bad habit of leaving CD's laying around, I'm very interested in the network install .... is there more info within this site?