nazz

I saw this in a few places now.

This is the key to add to modify the maximum number of simultaneous connections

TcpNumConnections

Key: TcpipParameters

Value Type: REG_DWORD - Number

Valid Range: 0 - 0xfffffe

Default: 0xfffffe

Description: This parameter limits the maximum number of connections that TCP can have open simultaneously.

Can anyone confirm that changing this registry entry will fix the connection limitation on users windows who actually want to allow maximum connections. Do someone have a reg file which fixes this problem?

Can anyone confirm that changing this registry entry will fix the connection limitation on users windows who actually want to allow maximum connections. Do someone have a reg file which fixes this problem?

------- and the original question still stands unanswered! (Except for the reg file -- thanks for that.)

Anyone know of anything else that might work? This is killing bittorrent downloads.

UPDATE:

I found this webpage that says they have a fix for it.

Fix?

UPDATE 2:

I just tried it, but it hasn't been set to work with build 2180 yet. :)

that's seems to be only for the RCs.. :rolleyes:

EDIT: this might just be it: http://www.lvllord.de/index2.htm

However, the auto-patch page still doesn't say 2180, but the mainpage and the manual one does...

EDIT2: My bad. the patcher file does work with 2180. :)

EDIT3: any one got a hex-edited version I could use for the install CD?

Edited by nolookingca

Sweet, it looks like it patched it, now I have to try it out. Thanks for the link.

After looking at this page, Here.

It seems this is only patching the connections to 50 total (up from the new limit of 10), but still not unlimited, like SP1 or before. :)

what exactly kind of problem is this feature presenting?

It's two reasons for me:

1) By what right does Microsoft have to set down limits on my internet use? I could see if they set some limited defaults for all the Joe Sixpacks out there that just do a base install of the OS, or keep the installed OS on their new PC they just bought. But why shouldn't we have the ability to unlock that? /end rant

2) If you use P2P programs, then you will be highly limited on your up/download speeds. Bittorrent uses 100 connections by default (I believe).

hmm.. im currently using sp2 2149 and havent really noticed a connection issue with bit torrent. although i just got a modded xbox and sometimes ill lose connection to the ftp.. not sure if thats cause of sp2 or not. so as of now, there is no way to remove this limitation"?

hmm.. im currently using sp2 2149 and havent really noticed a connection issue with bit torrent.  although i just got a modded xbox and sometimes ill lose connection to the ftp..  not sure if thats cause of sp2 or not.  so as of now, there is no way to remove this limitation"?

Look in your event viewer for Event ID 4226, that'll tell you if it's limiting your connections.

As far as a complete removal of this limit, no not yet. There is a patch avaliable that moves the limit from 10 to 50 connections (listed in a previous link).

I went to the event viewer and I see a bunch of warnings.. I guess Im way out of connections.... Arg I wish someone would crack this, but I guess ill run that patch or whatever was posted.

EDIT: One of the parts on the site it says is "Now restart your computer an press F8 short after the Bios is done and start in securemode (don't know the right translation!)." What exactly is secure mode? Are they just referring to safe mode?