"it is now safe to turn off your computer"

FthrJACK

i installed xp for a friend on an older celleron pc.. and when he shuts down xp he gets that screen that most of us havent seen for years LOL

ive fixed this problem before on win2k but cant remember how its done.. anyone know?

Devils0wn on a partition ( D: )

I have met it since win2000, and I tried to choose APM option in power section, but that cause another strange problem, my machine reboots everytime when I wanna shutdown it. I have no UPS and it works well in win98. any advices will be really appreciated.

Mainboard: ASUS with SIS 5519 chip

224M SDRAM (PC100 32M+PC133 128M+32M 10ns)

Pentiunm 200MMX

4.3G Quantum Fireball SE

no CD Creators

XP system restore turned down

XP hiberation turned down

Maybe it is caused by old Sis chip, I guess, so there is no way to get out unless upgrade my computer hardware.

yeah it runs on a 200MHz, its got at least over 64mb ram anyway, but it would load up and run programs very slowly!

Even my mate's 450MHz AMD K6 and 192mb of SDRAM is a slow pain in the a** with XP

It is true in my box, only start up much more slowly, but after I logon, things go faster for sure. 224M sdram helps a lot. I use my box to surf, write and do some small thing but game. I am not a fan of game, so I am quite satifactory with windows xp. but I find my G400 dualhead have some trouble with dualhead.

theres no apx in the bios anywhere.. but win98 )primary partiion) shuts down fine, its like the xp strtup screen but inplace of the blue scrolling bar is the text "its no safe to run off you computer" just incase you where wondering what its like to see that bloody anoying screen lol.. maybe it wont do it if XP is on the primary partition?

ah.. on the actual computer that wouldnt shut down the APM tick box is present in control panel > power options

it isnt on my pc! phew.. cheers folks it did the trick and all is well .. caused no knock on problems :)