Networking problem - Internet works, LAN doesn't

As most people here (I expect) I have a second job (if only it would pay...) being a sort of helpdesk/sysadmin for family and inlaws. But recently I've come across a networking problem that has me completly stumped...:rolleyes:

The PCs:

one no-name home made desktop PC running Win98SE

one Compaq Presario laptop ruuning WinME

The Network:

xDSL to DSL-modem/router (Alcatel SpeedTouch) to PCs (wired)

The Problem:

Both PCs can surf without problem, but they cannot communicate directly.

I've been through every parameter I could think of, but all options (protocol, file- & printersharing, IP & submasks, workgroup names, you name it) seem to be set properly on both machines. Shares have been set on the desktop PC, so that's not it either.

I have actually managed to get this whole setup running from time to time, but after every reboot the network is a mess :)

Anybody have any ideas?

Windows 98 is a pain in the "royal behind" to get to work on the network... Try playing around with the network settings in "Network Neighborhood"... :)

not really, ig ot my 98 machine to work really easily

Windows 98 is a pain in the "royal behind" to get to work on the network... Try playing around with the network settings in "Network Neighborhood"... :)

not really, i got my 98 machine to work really easily

I believe gamehead is referring to the fact that win98 wants a reboot for any change you make.

@ArmyDoc-

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the NetBEUI protocol?

To me it sounds like a software firewall problem on the computer you are trying to connect too.

Have you tried to ping the other computer?

I have actually managed to get this whole setup running from time to time, but after every reboot the network is a mess

Does this mean that you have managed to get the network working and when you have robooted it doesen't?

@prathapml

NetBEUI isn't installed, only TCP/IP

@Unicorn

1. Pinging within the local network doesn't work - timeouts every time. Pinging Internet addresses works.

2. Yes, that's what it means

@ sven, gamehead

Win98 works flawlessly in my own home LAN, together with a WinXP PC (my own, the Win98 is my wife's) and a SuSE Linux/Samba fileserver.

Also some extra info which I left out on my first post - the OS on the laptop is WinME :) , the error message is the very non-descriptive "Cannot search the network" (or whatever it is says in English - I have to work with the Dutch version)

1. Make sure both computers are on the same IP and subnet mask ranges...

2. Check the IP's using ipconfig in a dos prompt on both comps... and put up a screenshot of the results.

3. Also check too make sure both comps are on the same Workgroup... triple check that =P

hope that helps...

I found a problem such as that one on the "second job" wich you speak of, and the solution was very simple, this may sound stupid, but are you sure that the computer doesnt have a firewall running on the background and if it has could it be blocking the communication between both computers???

I appreciate that this may sound like a real PITA, but I have experienced similar problems on a 98 peer to peer network before.

If you are happy that all your settings are correct, then I would suggest that you uninstall all the networking componants (including remove the NIC's from device manager) and start again.

Ensure you have the latest and correct drivers for the cards, and don't forget you will need the OS discs (unless the cabs are on the hard drive) to reinstall the network componants.

Good Luck.