Formating multiple partitions.

BradBo

What you need to do is boot into dos with a startup disk, either windows 98/me.. if you don't have either, go to http://www.bootdisk.com/ and download one :)

After you have set up your boot disk, boot from it to get a command line, then use "fdisk" to remove all the partitions, which will basically force you to do a reformat before you can use the drive again..

There is also another option to this, in XP installations, microsoft integrated kind of a 'lite' fdisk so that you can do the same.. in the screen on Windows XP set up where you choose the drive to install to, there are also options to delete the partition and format as well :rolleyes:

I hope that helps, if you need anymore help, just let us know and we'll see what to do next :D

Blackwar

Sorry Blackwar.

I went to the Bootdisk.com and was totaly confused.

I downloaded and installed a bootdisk (A) for W98 and I was able to boot to it,but from there all I got was things I dont know how to use,and was unable to get to a C: prompt to type in Fdisk.

I am not understanding the concept.

Do the boot disk have a version of dos on them?

I have an old copy of W95 and could not figure out how to get to a C: prompt.

Does the "lite" version of XP fdisk work just as good.

As you can see I need a little more help just getting to a C prompt.

I do see that the coustom boot disks have a load of tools that with some learning would be helpful. If I can get past first base I want to learn more about these disks.

I am not a total beginer,I built my nachine but I am in the dark in this area.

Brad

Sorry Blackwar.

I went to the Bootdisk.com and was totaly confused.

I downloaded and installed a bootdisk (A) for W98 and I was able to boot to it,but from there all I got was things I dont know how to use,and was unable to get to a C: prompt to type in Fdisk.

I am not understanding the concept.

Do the boot disk have a version of dos on them?

I have an old copy of W95 and could not figure out how to get to a C: prompt.

Does the "lite" version of XP fdisk work just as good.

As you can see I need a little more help just getting to a C prompt.

I do see that the coustom boot disks have a load of tools that with some learning would be helpful. If I can get past first base I want to learn more about these disks.

I am not a total beginer,I built my nachine but I am in the dark in this area.

Brad

Well, since that didn't work, what i suggest you do is boot to windows XP setup with your windows cd, then once you get to the screen where it asks you which drive to install to, highlight every partition one by one, and i think the option was "D" it says on there once you highlight it, and delete every partition one by one, and create new ones (there will be information at the bottom of the screen as you go along.. be sure to read that, they tell you which key to use to create a partition, delete a partition etc.) as u want..

Then just continue with your regular XP installation on the drive you choose..

and yes, it does work just as well :rolleyes:

let me know if it worked :)

Blackwar