The count-down to SP2

prathapml

Which language (of Windows) do you use?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Which language (of Windows) do you use?

• English
    • German/Japanese
    • Others

@all-

Do make your opinion count with the poll above (even those of you who have posted already). And voice your impatience (if so) about the late release of localised versions of SP2.

It'd be nice to know how many of us use the plain/vanilla English (US/UK/Australia/etc.) version of winXP. How many use the languages which are covered by the first wave of release (german, japanese will get released alongwith English). And how many use the other 25 localised language editions for which it will take upto 2 months for an SP2 release (spanish/dutch/french/italian/mandarin/arabic/etc.).

well just returned.. voted...

Anyway, something not so critical I have been trying to figure out in all the sp2 betas... When I slipstream, the new autorun exe for sp2 has the option to install .net framework. Problem is, when I click it, it doesnt do anything.. Never has in any build.. Not a part of windows technically (optional component on the cd), but anyone have any comments to that?

So are we supposed to stay awake until SP2 is available for download?

@bilemke:

When I slipstream, the new autorun exe for sp2 has the option to install .net framework. Problem is, when I click it, it doesnt do anything.. Never has in any build.. Not a part of windows technically (optional component on the cd), but anyone have any comments to that?

Its a bit more than that. The .NET framework is required for Media Center Edition, and installed during Windows setup on that edition. On a Professional or Home Edition, the .NET framework isn't included, so Setup does nothing with it.

When I slipstream, the new autorun exe for sp2 has the option to install .net framework.
Well, the retail/OEM versions of the CDs (SP1/SP2) have that function usable. The Retail CDs have an extra "DOTNETFX" folder in the root of the CD, which contains the setup for the .NET framework. When an SP is slip-stream into a standard VLK (SP0) source, the resulting distribution lacks that extra folder, but still has the function accessible from autorun - which ends up doing nothing.

If ever you tried editing resources in setup.exe (autorun) with Resource Hacker, you'll find the directory path (which clicking on that option runs) in the "Text Strings".

I hope that satisfies your curiosity. The above thing (a non-working option to install .NET) was actually very mysterious for me, as well, when I saw it for the first time.

@1Bowtie-

Join the party. *POP* :opens a champagne cork:

You're not alone, as you can see. :)

@all-the-others

You're welcome as well!

BAM (above) has provided a virtual version of "nice cold beer". Enjoy yourselves.

So are we supposed to stay awake until SP2 is available for download?
I don't know about you people, but I am gonna stay awake and get the **** thing to my machine, before I get even a wink of sleep. :)

SP2 status is going to be reported live from here.

@Tbone2

Yup! It's been a long wait - too long prolly, but no more. :rolleyes:

well i won't be pulling an all-nighter, but i can guarantee that i'll be up at the crack of dawn to download it.... if it's released.

I've already created 3 slipstreamed sp2 cds (rc1, rc2, pre-rtm), so i'll be glad when the final is released so i won't have to do it again for a long time

I've already created 3 slipstreamed sp2 cds (rc1, rc2, pre-rtm)

Then how about many of us who have done it for:

build 1213

build 2055 (beta1)

build 2082

build 2096 (RC1)

build 2120

build 2138

build 2149 (RC2)

build 2162 (pre-RTM)

LOL :)

No offense meant towards anybody, just reminding myself of all my SP2 struggles (slip-streams).

Well, the retail/OEM versions of the CDs (SP1/SP2) have that function usable. The Retail CDs have an extra "DOTNETFX" folder in the root of the CD, which contains the setup for the .NET framework. When an SP is slip-stream into a standard VLK (SP0) source, the resulting distribution lacks that extra folder, but still has the function accessible from autorun - which ends up doing nothing.

i have a file dotnetfx.exe about 24mb which installs .NET 1.1

so if i put this file in a folder named DOTNETFX on the CD before burning it will this enable the function ?

i have a file dotnetfx.exe about 24mb which installs .NET 1.1

so if i put this file in a folder named DOTNETFX on the CD before burning it will this enable the function ?

No, it won't (sadly).

The content of that folder is lots of files, not just the 5 that you find when you extract dotnetfx.exe. Moreover, the folder contains .NET 1.0, whereas the one you have would be v1.1.

Knight_DKN reporting here.

Well it's 11:20 am here in Melbourne Australia (GMT +10 For those in other parts of the Microsoft world), no sign of the many builded Serviceses Packes twoess that was first reported from the Microsoft TechNet digsite. My team is starting to show signs of strain, with all our unattended installs polished and ready we are waiting egerly for the hunting parties to report the capture of a Serviceses Packes twoess.

11:30 am We could be in serious trouble here, less than 2 days from the biggest LAN party in Melbourne and still no sign of the elusive creature.

11:31 am Can't... stand... the wait

11:32 am Aww screw it... I'm gonna play some Doom.