Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

PROB | ATI DVD-Decoder

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Raiden

Raiden

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 05-August 04
Hi all, I'm trying to get the DVD-Decoder to install during my RunOnceEx portion of setup. However the stupid file first has to verify the ATI driver CD, then download the decoder from the internet. Is there a way to install it without any of that.

:) I hate the way ATI packages there drivers.

Edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky, 03 December 2005 - 10:09 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Raiden

Raiden

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 05-August 04
Sorry folks, I forgot to mention that it's the DVD decoder software for the hardware decoder on my Radeon 9200 :)

Diabolical82

Diabolical82

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Joined 22-June 04
I couldn't figure it out either...
Free LCD Screen I need 5 mores refers!!!

peachy

peachy

• PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Joined 29-March 04
Join the club. Short of installing the original codec from the CD first and then doing the upgrade, I don't know of a way around this. :)

Raiden

Raiden

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 05-August 04
I was thinking about getting an nvidia card for doom 3 since ATI's drivers just enfuriate me, do there drivers have the same hassles or will they slipstream easier. They have hardware dvd decoders as well don't they

Raiden

Raiden

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 05-August 04
Just an update. To install the DVD-Decoder you have to download and run atiCDwiz-v3-0.exe. That program downloads setup.exe which is the actuall decoder. setup.exe has to be invoked from the install button in atiCDwiz-xxx.exe if you doubleclick setup.exe it gives you an error saying it has to be run from the atiCDwiz-xxx.exe. If you don't close the error but instead browse to your temp directory there are 2 directories that setup.exe hasn't deleted yet. One of them has the *.msi's shown in my screenshot.

Now finally comes my question. These two msi's exit saying they have to be run from the parent exe. Does anybody know how to get msi's to disregard that problem and just install anyway.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files

bmill99

bmill99

MSFN Agent Smith

• Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Joined 14-January 04
that's where I gave up at this point, lol. Only if I knew how to do reverse enginnering on MSI. :) Maybe WinInstall LE is the answer?

WinInstall LE 2003 - Freeware
WinInstall 8 - Payware

Diabolical82

Diabolical82

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Joined 22-June 04
good news, i repackage ati dvd decoder with install rite and it work for me and no need for cd checking or anything... It'll install silently and the only way to tell if it's installed, go to control panel and look at listing under add/remove programs and you'll see "ATI DVD Decoder"

Download
ATI DVD Decoder Ver 3.0.1 / 2.8mb / Updated 8-16-04

no switch are need and let me know if it worked or not.

EDIT: Uploaded newer one, and got rid of bunches of useless registry, mostly are unrelated to ati.

Raiden

Raiden

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 05-August 04
Diabolical82 :thumbup You Rule :thumbup

This has been one of the biggest problems with my unattended setup. The fact that you repackaged it as a totally silent app is great.

I think I'll format again :D and see whats left to fix

cheers

Diabolical82

Diabolical82

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Joined 22-June 04
oop i found my mistake you'll probadly want to rename it to ATI_Decoder.exe cuz RunOnceEx doesn't seem to appericate the space between two words.

nickxp

nickxp
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 17-August 04
thanks,i want know how to identify and uninstall it.

Diabolical82

Diabolical82

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Joined 22-June 04
you should be able to uninstall using "add/remove programs" from control panel.

nateklomp

nateklomp

MS Junkie since DOS2.1

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 12-May 04
I love you man!)

I've been using the DVD Decoder 1.1 from the original ATI CD, it installs silently without switches and can be uninstalled via the cpl.

In the immortal words of Mr. Popeil, "Just set it and forget it."

nickxp

nickxp
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 17-August 04
thanks,i have uninstall it using windows installer cheanup utility.now i mean when i install both ati dvd player 7.6 and powerdvd 5.0,i want to know which dvd decoder plug in windows media player 9 or realone 2.(i'm using windows xp professional sp1)

Diabolical82

Diabolical82

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Joined 22-June 04
Most of third party DVD player come with it's own decoder (software rendering), ATI Decoder is not required unless you want to take advantage of Hardware Acceleration. ATI's DVD PLayer might require ATI Decoder. For Windows Media Player, I think you'll need to download plug-ins since Microsoft doesnt want to pay for Royalty fee on Licensing, or you can buy fullversion DVD player such as PowerDVD or WinDVD. For more information regarding with WMP can be found Here

Personally I prefered to use ATI DVD Player or WinDVD over WMP. Usually PowerDVD and WinDVD come with plug-in for WMP. Word of advice, pls stay away from Real Player, and their format really need to die.

DisabledTrucker

DisabledTrucker

The truck or you is disabled?

• PipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Joined 02-July 04

Word of advice, pls stay away from Real Player, and their format really need to die.

I couldn't agree more. Thanks as well for the download, I too have been having a time with this, glad someone has finally worked out a solution. Has anyone determined if there is an actual working entry in the Add/Remove control panel for removal of this for updating?
Matthew 22:36-40

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the law?" And he, (Jesus,) said to him, "You shall love the Lord Your GOD with all your heart and all your soul and with all your mind. This is the greatest and first commandment. And the second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets."

Diabolical82

Diabolical82

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Joined 22-June 04
you should be to able to upgrade without any issues. It's listed "ATI Decoder" in Add/Remove ;)

DisabledTrucker

DisabledTrucker

The truck or you is disabled?

• PipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Joined 02-July 04
I seen above where it was mentioned that it was or should be listed there if all went well, my question was does the uninstaller actually allow for the uninstallation of it, or does it become a "dead link" so to speak when uninstalling?

(Much like some of M$'s files when slipstreamed, though they show up in the folder, you cannot uninstall them it gives you an error if you try to remove them.)
Matthew 22:36-40

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the law?" And he, (Jesus,) said to him, "You shall love the Lord Your GOD with all your heart and all your soul and with all your mind. This is the greatest and first commandment. And the second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets."

Diabolical82

Diabolical82

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Joined 22-June 04
I'm aware of this, and I've tried uninstalled it myself.

nickxp

nickxp
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 17-August 04
the dead link appears in my system too.yon can try windows installer cleanup utility to uninstall it.now i wondered when i type "dvdupgrd /detect" in start->run,it only show cyberlink dvd decoder.

Diabolical82

Diabolical82

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Joined 22-June 04
dead link appear with mine? or other apps?

WhtKnight

WhtKnight
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 14-August 04
if you want to edit an msi you can use this handy little tool here ;)

well worth a look i reckon

WhtKnight

http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;255905

Diabolical82

Diabolical82

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Joined 22-June 04
Thanks for suggestion, however my ATI Decoder is not created with MSI but with InstallRite. I just tried uninstalling it myself it seem to be working, but I dont understand why it would appear dead? Well i'm stumped I'll try & see what I can do.

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03
Thanks, works like a charm (never used before btw, let's see if it's good :P)

n00b

n00b

• PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Joined 18-January 04
How did you get it to install? All mine does is spawn the ATI Cd checking utility until no end :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users