SFC_OS.DLL hack for XP SP2 Final

SFCSetting hack for WFP...

At offset (0000ECE9) change:

33 C9

to:

EB 01

RaveRod

Hey :rolleyes:

thaNX for the info. We're running SP2 build2179 & prefer to stick with this RTM release, which is working well for us. The value @ offset ECEA = C0 (not C9). All other values are as you posted for 2180...

...sorry - found the answer here

Is the manually applied registry value name "SFCDisable" or "SFCSetting"?

thaNX :)

@visitor: The "SFCSetting" registry value should be set to "ffffff9d" if you want to disable WFP. The "SFCDisable" registry value is now useless (just there to trick Windows).

Build 2179 isn't RTM by the way. It was going to be but they had to fix a few more little bugs and application compatibility. Build 2179, I think, will expire is 180 days.

How would I go about removing a certain directory (in this case Program Files and everything under it) from being watched by WFP?  There was post with a hacked dll for SP1 a while back, but I didn't find it in a search.  Besides, I don't remember there being much in the way of instructions for making a new version of the dll. :)

+1

I have used the hacked SFC_OS.dll + registry method to disable WFP before, but all I really want to do is delete those annoying folders that XP puts in the Program Files directory (e.g. "xerox", "MSN Gaming Zone", "Movie Maker", etc). Is there any way to remove these from the list of protected files rather than disabling WFP altogether. And also, does anyone know why the heck those stupid folders are considered protected system folders in the first place?

How would I go about removing a certain directory (in this case Program Files and everything under it) from being watched by WFP?  There was post with a hacked dll for SP1 a while back, but I didn't find it in a search.  Besides, I don't remember there being much in the way of instructions for making a new version of the dll. :)

+1

I have used the hacked SFC_OS.dll + registry method to disable WFP before, but all I really want to do is delete those annoying folders that XP puts in the Program Files directory (e.g. "xerox", "MSN Gaming Zone", "Movie Maker", etc). Is there any way to remove these from the list of protected files rather than disabling WFP altogether. And also, does anyone know why the heck those stupid folders are considered protected system folders in the first place?

Disable WFP, delete the folders, then re-enable it. Does that work?

nope.  At least it didn't work on SP1.  I disabled WFP, deleted the folders, rebooted, no problem.  But if I ever re-enabled WFP, the folders would come back on the next reboot.

In that case, it would be nice to be able to remove those entries from the sfcfiles list

To the people who want to unprotect certain folders, please use the forum search. Here the thread with that information:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=21334

@netquik: The SFC_OS.DL_ file attached has been modified with modpe (correct header). It is ready to be put on the CD.

The SFCSetting registry key is added by me so that you can disable WFP while Windows actually looks at SFCDisable (therefore tricking Windows into thinking it's enabled).

In most cases, SFCDisable will turn out to be 0x0000000 while SFCSetting will be 0xffffff9d. That tricks Windows into thinking WFP is enabled but when it comes to removing protected files, it isn't.