ATI or Nvidia for gaming?

Synapse

which one is better for gaming in your opinion?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. which one is better for gaming in your opinion?

• ATI Cards
    • Nvidia Cards

doom3 it's optimized for nvidia cards and hl2 will be optimized for ati cards. both are good but i think ati on the last round won with their ati 9x00 cards. personally i preffer ati because it's cheaper and less power consumer than nvidia.

i like ati.. but i dont see the point in this thread personally.. its been asked.. & its like saying "whats better.. apple's or oranges" ppl that like apples will go for apples.. same for oranges :)

I just got doom3 and erm i've geforce 4 440 64mb and can't really play smooth on lowest res.

this nvidia ati question lies for me as well. looking for something below $200.

I'm a nvidia fanboy :)

though I've lost track of graphic cards after the nvidia's took 2 slots.

so i was looking at fx5700 256mb winfast a360, is it worth paying for?

my previous gf cards were winfast. I was pretty happy with them.

well okay nvidia or ati. 1 thing confuses me so much. which brand to get?

and what's so different about the different brands using the same chip getting more out of it?

so at the end whats a good brand good card under $200?

THanks

though I've lost track of graphic cards after the nvidia's took 2 slots.

same here :)

i've always heard rumors of: Ge-Force cards were for the serious gamer, and ATI were for people that liked doing multimedia crap, but after seeing the benchmarks on Tomshardware.com i'm leaning towards the ATI cards.

another thing about Geforce that i hate is they have like 50 vendor companies that use Geforce such as PNY, BFG, Arcade FX, etc.... Example...so its hard too get support for your specific card. Where as all the ATI cards are all made by ATI.

yea, my next card is definently gonna be an ATI now that i think about it. :rolleyes:

could someone confirm the shappire? I've heard of it but never bought 1.

I always liked asus cards though they're expensive..

are there any pages that compare brands instead of chipsets?

okay 1 other question

would one go and buy a

256mb ati 9600?

256mb ati 9200?

128mb ati 9800 pro?

128mb ati 9800 se?

128mb ati 9600 xt?

128mb ati 9200 se?

etc.. u get the picure..

would buying an 256mb (non-xt) be a better choice then buying a 128mb xt?

[price limit $200...]

Thanks

Edited by XtremeMaC

@XtremeMaC

are there any pages that compare brands instead of chipsets?
i remember seeing a page with comparatives of radeon 9600s and i think google-ing it could give you a good result if you decide for example for the 9800 chipset.
would one go and buy a...

1.- 256mb ati 9600? (because there is not much difference between prices)

2.- 128mb ati 9800 se? (only if i know that it's a card with 2.2ns memory (can be modded to 9800pro), club3d for example)

3.- 128mb ati 9600 xt? (this is pretty good if it's from a good brand. the 9200 it's a little "slow" for nowdays games)

would buying an 256mb (non-xt) be a better choice then buying a 128mb xt?
personally i preffer the 128XT, there is not much difference between ati PRO and XT (the only one it's that XT have a chipset that shows card temperature) but the XTs have normally 100mhz of core more. this means that a 128XT 500/300 would be faster (in general) than a 256PRO 400/300. finally note that the XT models in ATI are the fasters but nvidia uses the XT model as the low-market model. hope it helps

i've just searched for some prices in spain:

Atlantis Radeon 9800 OEM

(salida de TV, DVI, Bulk)    128 MB SDRAM-DDR    Radeon 9800 Pro    AGP 8x    179,00 EUR

Atlantis Radeon 9600XT

(Fireblade Edition, salida de TV, DVI, Retail)    128 MB SDRAM-DDR    Radeon 9600XT    AGP 8x    169,00 EUR

Club3D Radeon 9800 SE about 110€
Excal. Radeon X800 Pro IceQ II VIVO

(salida de TV, entrada de vídeo, DVI, Retail)    256 MB GDDR3    Radeon X800 Pro    AGP 8x    529,00 EUR :rolleyes: 

ps: if someone wants to make me a present please the last one will be appreciated :)

I was suitably inmpressed when I found I could play Doom 3 on my laptop. I've always had an ATI card in atleast 1 computer.

If I do go for a nVidia chipset again, I won't buy a PNY. I had a 5200FX, and sure it did it's job but after 6 months the fan started dieing and it took awhile for a replacement (ended up buying a ATI 9800 because it took so long).

As pointed out, ATI's are built by ATI. Which means of course ATI knows how to get the most out of their cards (unless they're low end, where they have a high end chip but hold it back, 9800se and pro for example)

My advice is for a ATI X800. Don't worry about PCI Express yet. It's still alittle immature, and by the time you'll need it, you're card won't support the high quality graphics you want from the game you want it for :)

/me always been an nVidia fan, since the days it was an under-dog to 3dfx, until today where it has become *THE* establishment.

According to me, nV always has the best features and innovation, and value for money (show me an X800's price tumbling below $150 in 3 months!). ATi has just had a temporary flash-in-the-pan with the last 2 generations of cards (9600 and above) - all older versions of their gfx suck in comparison to their nVidia equivalents. I'll say "go ATi" only when they are consistently able to provide sufficient supplies, and maintain leadership in the mainstream "Value" segment for atleast 4 years.

ps: if someone wants to make me a present please the last one will be appreciated  :)

LOL, if anyone gets ya that i call dibs on your current Graphics Card :D

another thing that i just though of, is it seems Nvidia updates their drivers more often then ATI, I'm running a Geforce but i'm still using the older 56.16 or whatever drivers since anything above that seems too cause my comp too restart during gameplay. :rolleyes: