Problems w. Agere Modem (unattanded install)

Nephilim

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my Notebook's Modem. The modem was manufactured by Agere and those guys seem to have major trouble with there drivers. I need to run a setup routine which takes about 5 minutes to complete and then I need to go to the device manager and select the driver manually from the driver's list. Windows then always tells me, that it might be that the driver was not especially written for this hardware, but the driver will install and the modem works perfectly fine afterwards.

Does anyone of you have some sort of idea how I can force Windows to use that driver. I would prefer an unattended method and AutoIT will be my final solution!!

Nephilim

I have an Acer Aspire 1710 and it has an Agere Systems AC'97 modem, I have the drivers added during an unattended setup using the

OemPnPDriversPath=Drivers\001_network\agere

I have copied

AGRMDwxp.cat

AGRMDwxp.inf

AGRSM.sys

agrsmdel.exe

AGRSMMSG.exe

to the specified dir and the driver is installed during setup, I don't use the modem so I haven't tested is functionality after install.

Another way is to edit the AGSETUP.INI file and remove the ; from

;SilentInstall=Y

I uninstalled the driver from the system, ran the setup.exe, windows found the new hardware and installed the driver without any prompts.

Hope this is useful

Hi benners,

I tried the same procedure with my modem driver, but it wouldn't work. I will download your modem driver from acer's ftp server and try to get this one running, maybe this will help. Thanks for the advice and I will report any results.

Nephilim

Yes it has! Why?

Whether I install using the setup routine, or if I use the OEMDriverPath version with my unattended installation, it doesn't make the slightest difference. Windows will add the driver to its drivers library but won't install the driver properly. The device manager will show "PCI Modem" with an exclamation mark. If I update the driver then it will work fine, although windows tells me something like "the driver wasn't written for this hardware. do you want to continue? (y/n)"!

Nephilim

Do you have this in your winnt.sif file

[Unattended]
   DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

this might stop the message about the driver.

Did you try altering the silentinstall option in the AGSETUP.INI ?.

Another way I have got the driver files is by using a program called My Drivers, this program can backup the device drivers on your system, then you can add them with the OemPnPDriversPath option.

I think the problem is that Agere has written such a bad driver that windows doesn't want to recognize it as driver for the modem. I already tried everything of what you said, but nothing worked.

Furthermore I think that "DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore" is not the right place to start. Sure Windows will not automatically install an unsigned driver, but the driver isn't just unsigned it's "inappropiate" as far as Windows thinks. Although it works very well when forced to be installed.

Nephilim