Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

User Creation Page Suggestion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

bilemke

bilemke

• PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Joined 08-December 03
Finally got to reading about all the activity with WIHU... Great job Benjamin Kalytta! :)

Been playing with it for a few hours, something I would love to see...

When creating a user interactively, instead of by using users.ini, would it be possible for all of the user related paths to default to the usering root profile directory like "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\%shellfolder%"?

Ideally dynamically find this so if it windows is not installed to "C:" it would locate the proper directory.. I know many people probably use your program as a way to make the user account store on some other drive letter, but I often leave mine in the default location.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MCT

MCT

MSFN Junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts
  • Joined 19-May 04
%userprofile% is the variable works same as

C:\Documents and settings
D:\Documents and settings
Insert Drive Letter:\Documents and settings

:)
Posted Image Posted Image
Windows 7 32Bit 2GB Ram 120GB HDD (Laptop), Windows 8 4GB Ram 1TB HDD (Desktop) Windows XP SP3 VM with enhancements!

bilemke

bilemke

• PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Joined 08-December 03
@MCT

Correct.. sorta.. %userprofile% will get you "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%"

This will not work for a new user path as it would alway come up as "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator" if you were running WIHU under the Administrator account.

I am looking for in the interactive mode of WIHU to take the user name I enter on the very top of page, say "bilemke", and fill in all the other paths with a default. Like HOMEPATH would fill in after tabing out of the username box and say "\Documents and Settings\bilemke"... Else it can result in a lot of typing..

Maybe even adding a "Browse" button next to each box... :)

MCT

MCT

MSFN Junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts
  • Joined 19-May 04
i misunderstood what u said
sorry :)
Posted Image Posted Image
Windows 7 32Bit 2GB Ram 120GB HDD (Laptop), Windows 8 4GB Ram 1TB HDD (Desktop) Windows XP SP3 VM with enhancements!

bilemke

bilemke

• PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Joined 08-December 03
no prob.. thanks for the attempt

BenjaminKalytta

BenjaminKalytta

Developer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Joined 08-June 04
@bilemke: Which fields do you mean, or which things should be initialized?
Shellfolders (if not specified) will always created automatically by windows at %USERPROFILE%\ShellFolderName.
Remains Home and Profile directory whereby both will created automatically by windows on correct place %SystemRoot%\Documents And Settings\NewUser
Or did I missunderstand you?

Benjamin

bilemke

bilemke

• PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Joined 08-December 03
@BenjaminKalytta

Ah, my mistake... was looking at %SystemRoot%\Documents And Settings\NewUser

All is good :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users