Windows 2000 SP5

visitor

...just choose the one u have...

Yeah.

I was just referring to the option to update 2KSP5 - haven't seen anything about an SP5 release - beta or otherwise - anywhere.

I know that some hotfixes for XP just prior to SP2 created system references to it being xpsp2 - specifically @ reg

HLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\"BuildLab"

. Maybe the same will be true of some updates for 2KSP4 & this is one way of avoiding conflicts. Or maybe they're justing getting WUP ready ahead of time...

Also on the list is Windows 2000 Pro SP5, of course.

I was just referring to the option to update 2KSP5 -  haven't seen anything about an SP5 release - beta or otherwise - anywhere.

I've talked directly with Microsoft concerning a SP5 release. They are considering not releasing a SP5 at all, just a hotfix rollup package. Nothing is final, but that's what I was told.

I think it would be stupid of MS not to release SP5 for Win2000. They should release SP5 with all the extra features that have been released with XP SP2, eg. Windows Firewall, Security Center and the changes to IE6.

And who was the source who said there would be no SP5 at all?

But, they've been saying all along that they aren't going to consider adding the "SpringBoard" features they added into XPSP2 to any other version of windows, except for the next (LongHorn?). It has taken a lot of time and effort and testing to do it to XP, and doing the same for an older version may seem "not financially sound" to MS.

You might see SP5 after quite some time, (due to needing to concentrate on longhorn and W2k3 Sp1) - but there's no reason it won't be there, and not any possibility of the new features making their way into win2k.

I think it would be stupid of MS not to release SP5 for Win2000. They should release SP5 with all the extra features that have been released with XP SP2, eg. Windows Firewall, Security Center and the changes to IE6.

I don't think Microsoft will release the Windows 2000 SP5 with the extra features, because Microsoft Windows XP/2003 is importance for Microsoft.

So, Windows 2000 SP5 will add the patches of Windows 2000 SP4.

Well, I just checked the WU catalog (august 20, 2004) and there are no longer ANY entries for W2K SP5, so I guess MS pulled it, whatever it was....

I'm dissapointed :no:

Whilst I use XP on my PC and notebook, 2000 is my server OS, and to think that it will get no more product technology updates (e.g. Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer) and now no security updates, thats not on.

Windows NT 4 got to Service Pack 6! (and we all know what a wreck that was!)

So for SP5 to be written off, is it really not going to be released when the OS is so widely used?

What can i say, if this is the case, I am shocked, I dont particuarly care about XP-style features, I can install 3rd party apps for security etc but how can they not simply release a cumulative annual update the same as SP4 last June?