explorer.exe problem in SP2

nychong88

Hi all, I get a serious problem after installing SP2.

An error msg poped up when I right click any file in my documents:

explorer.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x0271415b" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program

Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Could anyone tell me what happen and how to solve this??

Thanks all.

Are you running it in a virtual machine? If so, you might need to increase the RAM on it. Or, if your running it in a computer with low RAM you might get that message as well. Can you bring up the task manager and tell us how much RAM is in the system and what the PF usage is?

Sometimes context menu handlers\shell extensions will cause this problem.

Try this Program:

http://freehost14.websamba.com/nirsoft/utils/shexview.html

I'd focus on 3rd party application Shell extensions.

Try disabling one and see if that stops the crashes. If not, try disabling another until the problem goes away.

Does it happen on any file type or certain file types?

I had same problem (applicatione error). Occured on all systems with DIVX and SP2 installed. Clue should have been REGSVR32 error during DIVX install. Uninstalling corrected problem.

Sometimes context menu handlers\shell extensions will cause this problem.

Try this Program:

http://freehost14.websamba.com/nirsoft/utils/shexview.html

I'd focus on 3rd party application Shell extensions.

Try disabling one and see if that stops the crashes. If not, try disabling another until the problem goes away.

Does it happen on any file type or certain file types?

It seem failed to install this program in my pc.

My problem occurs for every files.

I'm having the same problem too

I thought it was because of DivX 5.2, now that i uninstalled it and reinstalled DivX 5.1 the computer worked just fine but just for a while. Now it does it on its own, sometimes i get the error, sometimes i dont.

It's a real annoying thing hope someone has a real fix for this problem

Man, this is really odd, I have divx V5.2 in my computer and have had no trouble with any of this at all.

I feel neglected, my computer has been running sp2 for nearly two weeks now and I have not had any of the problems that others have had. However, I am greatful for that also. As I said in another thread, I have upgraded quite a few computers already and have not had a problem with any one of them.

what bothers me is, I know eventually I will have problems somewhere down the line with some customers computers, it is bound to show up sooner or later, but what I do not understand is why some have alot of trouble and others like myself have little or none.

Must be Microsoft slipped in a secret code to hate some computers and love others, does make one wonder... :w00t:

Dakota SunRunner

:}

I had the same problem opening DIVX and XVID, some muppets on other forums are running mem test.

A quick work around that works for me is to cut the containing folder and paste it somewhere else. then open up you DIVX file and it shouldn't crash explorer.

don't ask me why it just works for my machine.

I had this same problem on my laptop. Very irritating. I followed the helpful post instructions on http://www.mcse.ms/archive64-2004-8-945860.html This fixed my problem. THANK YOU Mike!!!

The short text of his post is:

Check if those PC have DivX codec installed. If so, go to the following in

"regedit" & remove the "DivX" entry:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

Yahoo. :whistle: