No WMP Mini-toolbar after SP2

enuffsaid

Hi,

I slipstreamed SP2 onto WXP Pro and did a fresh install. Now I am missing the WMP Mini-toolbar (Right click the taskbar > Toolbars > Media Player)... I can't select the media player toolbar, as its simply not there.

What could be going on here?

Hi there I encountered the same issue after installing my slipstreamed XPSP2. After you install Windows XP the link MediaPlayer on your right click the taskbar DOESNOT EXIST.

So run WMP. Being the first time you run it it will tell you to check some settings, file associations, etc. Customize it at your wish. Then minimize the WMP. Being the first time you minimize it, it will ask if you want to ENABLE the MediaPlayer Bar. Click YES. Finally that bar will appear on your right click on taskbar.

That's all ... :)

PS: I don't know how can this be done unattended or turned on by default. :unsure:

Hey Gabriel,

It doesn't ask me that when I minimize WMP. It only TELLS me that IF I want the mini-mode, I have to select a blank piece of taskbar, right click it, select toolbars, and then select Media Player. It lets me select not to show this message anymore, but NOWHERE does it give you the option to ADD this toolbar to the toolbar menu.

Anybody?

Can you show me a screenshot of that dialog? I do get a dialog also, don't get me wrong, but its the standard dialog which TELLS you about this feature, and how to turn it on.

It does that for me also, but the actual "media player" cannot be found amongst the available toolbars from the Taskbar.

Again, please show me that screenshot. I'm having a hard time believing that when you minimize WMP you get an option to ADD the Media Player toolbar (rather than the dialog which tells you WHERE to turn it on).

Thanks!

@enuffsaid: I would think that the screenshot you'd like to see is a one shot deal, and that gabriel_buc cannot reporduce it until he re-installs XP. He also mentions the "mini-setup" of WMP upon first run. Perhaps you've disabled that mini-setup using some registry setting (I have eliminated it by removing a reg key called StubPath, as well as a few others). I don't have that option either, but I'm on Windows 2003 Server.

EDIT:: While I'm at it ... Happy Birthday, gabriel_buc!

@ Green,

Well first of all, that Dialog window has an OK button and a "Do not show this window again" box. Which by default is NOT ticked. So if one doesn't do anything BUT click OK, it WILL show up again the next time you minimize WMP.

There is NO "YES" button to click, ONLY an "OK" button, but that's a minor detail. The point is I get that dialog window, too. If one REALLY wanted a screenshot you could create a new user and repeat the procedure; or just not bloody tick the "Do not show this window again" box.

I also JUST tested for a NEW user on a different computer (NOT SP2). BEFORE opening up WMP for the first time I checked to see if it had the Media Player toolbar, AND IT DID! SO IN MY OPINION THE TOOLBAR IS AVAILABLE ***BEFORE*** YOU START UP WMP9 for the first time. So, unless it is a setting which, once set, propagates to all current and new users (which I doubt), I say it DOES have the Media Player toolbar BEFORE OPENING WMP9.

Now we have that cleared up ;) lets go back to my question...

I DO get a message box that tells me about the media player toolbar (and how to enable it) when I minimize WMP. But the toolbar does NOT appear amongst the selection when right clicking Taskbar > Toolbars > ... (it has Address, Links, Desktop, but NO Media Player.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

The Dialog Box I was refering to was the Welcome to WMP, which I have disabled on my box. That is what I maent by Mini-Setup, and I am only speculating that that is what gabriel_buc meant.

I just tested on Windows Home SP2 (Standard HP Install), and Windows Pro SP1 (Standard GreenMachine Install). The HP Version runs the mini-setup (Welcome to WMP, Do you want me to overwrite all your custom settings, etc.). If I cancel out WMP does NOT start, and I (still) do NOT have the WMP toolbar in the list. I run again, accept the mini-setup, let WMP trash my settings, and do NOT cancel out, then minimize WMP, I see the dialog box you mention (check here to never see again, and the OK button). The first time I did NOT find the WMP toolbar. I maximized and then minimized again, still NOT checking the box, and then the WMP toolbar was in the list.

As for the GreenMachine Install, I do NOT get any dialog boxes, WMP does NOT mess with my fine-tuning, and I do NOT get the WMP toolbar in the list. For me, this is the desired effect, so I'm happy.

Note that SP2 was added to an installed XP Home HP Install, and that WMP had never been run before this test (thus the mini-setup). On the GreenMachine Setup WMP NEVER displayed any dialog boxes (I think: not my box), and has certainly run before.

There you have it, enuffsaid, just my raw findings. I let you draw the conclusions. For my part, my modifications had the desired effect, so I won't look any further: I never liked that little toolbar!

Hope that provides some insight. I guess if I had been more concerned, I would have run a registry before/after compare, but it was not my box, and I did not want to install any programs on it.

Do post your solution!

Thanks Green.

I also have the "mini-setup" regged off! When I start WMP for the first time I will pop up immediatly, no questions asked. If I then minimize it, i DO get that window popup about the "mini-mode WMP player toolbar." I believe that is the window Gabriel is referring to, also. I was under the impression that he stated that that window ENABLES the toolbar...

MY testings on SP1 machine with a NEW user showed the toolbar to be available BEFORE launching WMP9 for the first time. I really like the mini toolbar functionality.

I have played with too many settings and fiddled with too many options by now. I will do a clean re-install, retry, and post my findings.

Thanks for your time Green. How was the holiday btw? ;)

... Thanks for your time Green. How was the holiday btw? ;)

Actually, I am still kind of on holiday. I'm on the road for another couple of weeks, but I have been spending some time updating XPCREATE, and keeping up with MSFN, thanks to laptop cumputers, G3 cell phones, and unlimited Internet access at a surprisingly good connection speed (and price).

My vote still goes to it being connected to the mini-setup. I also highly suspect that a simple registry setting would add it back.

I am also fairly sure that the following links are "related"

Registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Discardable

Google:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...000000046%7D%22

(Search for "{00021492-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}")

Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;214842

I've not the time to look further: the course seems to be calling me. Please post, or PM, your findings.

All that work for me ... DURING YOUR HOLIDAYS!!! :realmad: Don't let the wife find out. ;)

Like yourself, I have the mini setup disabled. Everything worked fine until I did my first SP2 Slipstreamed install yesterday. Everything worked out great with the exeption of a few apps that didn't install correctly and this... the **** WMP9 Mini toolbar that's gone missing.

I've tried it with other users on this computer (the one I'm working on mostly) and they all have that problem. **ALL** my previous PRE SP2 setups never had this problem.

I just blew off some steam and finished Doom 3. Gonna give this PC a new install and the girlfriend some time. ;)

Get back to ya'll later.

Well... happy holidays then! Hope you're having a good time. Bye. :hello:

@GreenMachine: Thanks for wishing me Happy Birthday :) Your the only person on this forum that wished me happy birthay. Thanks again.

@enuffsaid: As I said before. I installed clean XP slipstreamed with SP2. No other additions made (unattended, reg tweaks), no progrs stripped out from the installer. So an old fashion slipstream. After installation and after I read your post I noticed that the MediaPlayer Bar on right click at taskbar DOES NOT EXIST. So Istarted WMP9 for the first time in that install. (no other programs where installed meanwhile). All the steps described before was exactly what I done until that bar appeared.

I didn't took screenshots as I thought it's not relevant.

So ... I created another user on the same Win install. This time I took screenshots. Fiest thing I noticed was that the Media Bar was there without starting the WMP9 for the first time on that new account.

Below are the screenshots.

First is the mini-setup and after WMP starts when you minimize it FIRST TIME the last form shows.

wmp9-5.jpg

PS: Sorry for so many screens, but you wanted.