Suggestions

kalavera

Here are some suggestions for wihu related with user creation:

1. One thing that i normally do in one-account-only (just use the administrator account) installations, is after logins the first time, go to manage accounts and rename the "administrator" to "my username", change the password and edit some other details (like mydocuments path, etc)

Could this be done directly from wihu? Instead of Disabling the Administrator and creating a new user, be able to directly edit the administrator account, via GUI.

One suggestion would be, when we choose to use the currently user logged, in the users list, add an entry of this user so we could the change his properties.

2. Now the user.operations actions are hidden from the runtime gui, so during runtime you can't change or disable those actions.

My suggestion would be to create a new tree-view with checkboxes in the users dialog (below the users list), with the user operations pre-defined in the install.ini . With the checkbox near each entry you would be able to disable that action in this run. Adding user.operations here would be very fine, at least with a simple dialog (just a textbox to enter the username, and a listbox to choose the operation).

3. Adding new user.operations, like rename or set password.

The syntax for example could be:

[user.operations]

rename.0.old=Administrator

rename.0.new=My Username

password.0.user=Administrator

password.0.pass={random}

{random} could be a special tag to set a random password (for added security when disabling an account)

edit: sorry i didn't notice that rename was already implemented, but maybe my syntax could be nicer ;)

First of all: Benjamin should verify what I'm telling you now. ;)

Kay, let's start ...

1.) No, right now it isn't possible to change user settings (folders, etc.) for already existing users, i.e. users accounts already present before WIHU was started. And Benjamin isn't going to add add this feature before WIHU 2.1 stable. Why? There have been many problems doing that. Btw: it isn't recommended to use accounts with admins privs for daily work! ;-)

2.) Yes, I think this is a good proposal, but should be implemented after release of WIHU 2.1 stable. ;)

3.1.) In my eyes current syntax is very nice. ;) Isn't it more logical to have rename in one single line instead of two seperated lines? Because rename always consists of two parts. *hehe*

3.2.) Random password? :o I'm not sure if this is a good idea. I've _never_ heard of any bug/virus/etc. that tries to enable inactivte accounts. And without admin privileges local users won't be able to do it either. So maybe wanna explain why random passwords for those accounts? Windows isn't that insecure. *hehe*

@my2001: You're right.

@kalavera: I'll of course implement such GUI specific things to modify/add/delete users.operation ... but let me release final 2.1 first.

And of course, users.operation can be extended, just make suggestions what I should add there. Btw. I wont change rename.x ... it's just good as it is, in one line.

Btw. what do you mean with random? You never can't login if you don't know your random password ;)

And btw. modifying already existing user account is still possible with WIHU ... only renaming them isn't possible. (May be I should take a look if the new password will applied)

See Administrator example in [users] section.

Benjamin