Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

jcarle's Utilities

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
180 replies to this topic

jcarle

jcarle

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,579 posts
  • Joined 14-August 04
ALL UTILITIES HAVE BEEN MOVED TO THIS FORUM

THANK YOU MSFN. :)

Edited by jcarle, 14 August 2006 - 02:28 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

glent

glent

Tpyo Spceialist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • Joined 16-August 04
OMG this is just wot i Need! thnx

jrzycrim

jrzycrim

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Joined 17-March 04
Nice. This will come in handy. :)
Jim Roberts

"Knowledge is chimera, for beyond it ever lies other knowledge, and the incompleteness of what is known renders the knowing false."

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 17-August 01
Very nice indeed, good job!

wass

wass

• 24 posts
  • Joined 20-March 04
OMG!!! VERRY NICE utilite for lazy people like me :thumbup :thumbup
I LOVE it!!!!

Thank you dude!!!!

jcarle

jcarle

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,579 posts
  • Joined 14-August 04
If anyone finds any bugs and such, please let me know. :)

Now, to think of another util to make. ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image

bucketbuster

bucketbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Joined 16-November 03
WOW, great tool!
Can I put this in my rightclick-menu?

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 17-August 01
Found a bug, was curious what it would do with makecab unchecked, this happens with any file:

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
   at CBin.formMain.OpenFiles(Array a)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
CBin
    Assembly Version: 1.1.4235.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.4235.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/jcarle.com/Compression%20Bin/CBin.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.

jrzycrim

jrzycrim

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Joined 17-March 04

Found a bug, was curious what it would do with makecab unchecked, this happens with any file:

I was going to ask a question about this but I really don't know anything about .net framework. Think I'm going to check out the SDK...
Jim Roberts

"Knowledge is chimera, for beyond it ever lies other knowledge, and the incompleteness of what is known renders the knowing false."

battleangel3222

battleangel3222

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 16-July 04
dude thats EXACTLY what needs to start happening, instead of manual stuff we need programs for the n00bs. Heres some ideas to get you guys going

1) A Program with a big database of switchs
2) Better way to make an answer file with more options
3) Program to install drivers easily, including things like ATI Control panel, etc...
4) Easier ways to do anything!

GREAT ideas, good start jcarle!

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined 14-July 04

dude thats EXACTLY what needs to start happening, instead of manual stuff we need programs for the n00bs. Heres some ideas to get you guys going

2) Better way to make an answer file with more options
3) Program to install drivers easily, including things like ATI Control panel, etc...
4) Easier ways to do anything!

GREAT ideas, good start jcarle!

1) I've just started on that today (as well as for registry tweaks).
2) Hmm, the sp2 deployment tools work pretty nice, and a search an fix the couple issues left pretty quickly
3) Well, drivers ARE already easy to install, unless you mean unattended in which case, all your PCs need to have the same hardware (to require the same drivers) or it would have to determine your HW first... I've been thinking about taking care of making a ATI/NVIDIA detection app - so it installs one or the other accordingly. Wouldn't be hard...
4) Erm, I think we're basically all open to good suggestions :)
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

jcarle

jcarle

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,579 posts
  • Joined 14-August 04
I can't seem to reproduce the bug. I think it could be because modifype.exe is not in your path?
Posted Image
Posted Image

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

MSFN SuperB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
is that http://www.theultimateguide.ca/ is down or something?
I cannot dl it :(

jcarle

jcarle

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,579 posts
  • Joined 14-August 04
Nope, maybe just a bad route to host from your location.
Posted Image
Posted Image

jcarle

jcarle

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,579 posts
  • Joined 14-August 04
Bug should be fixed now. New build posted.
Posted Image
Posted Image

MCT

MCT

MSFN Junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts
  • Joined 19-May 04

i would be interested in helping build the database if someone would make the gui part :P

example:

in section 1, there could be a browse button, 2 look 4 the file

in section 2, there could be a list of switches, then it outputs it 2 an inf/ini file & u have it run from inside the program with a switch like /silent or something?

programname.exe /silent /loadinf=whatever

? maybe a thought
Posted Image Posted Image
Windows 7 32Bit 2GB Ram 120GB HDD (Laptop), Windows 8 4GB Ram 1TB HDD (Desktop) Windows XP SP3 VM with enhancements!

DisabledTrucker

DisabledTrucker

The truck or you is disabled?

• PipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Joined 02-July 04
I notice you say:

This utility allows you to drag and drop any file to it's window and have it run modifype and makecab with the LZX compression at it's highest setting (equivalent to the compression used on the Windows CD) on the file. The file is compressed and written to the same filename in the same location with an underscore replacing the last character in the filename. IMPORTANT: modifype.exe and makecab.exe MUST be in your path (preferably \windows\system32).

But when I attempted to use ModifyPE.exe to compress a .bmp or a .jpg file for inclusion into the i386 folder, (fyi, I was trying to replace the default files for the wallpaper,) it only gives an error that it wont work with them. Are you able to overcome this with this utility? Does the .jpg and .bmp files not need to use the ModifyPE.exe program to compress them? Mind you, I used it seperately and not using your program, as I have just now found it. TIA.

*EDIT*
Also, will using the LZX compression actually benefit those files?

One more thing inref:

Now, to think of another util to make. ;)

How about a way to do them in batch form? Such as multiple files at a time.
Matthew 22:36-40

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the law?" And he, (Jesus,) said to him, "You shall love the Lord Your GOD with all your heart and all your soul and with all your mind. This is the greatest and first commandment. And the second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets."

jrzycrim

jrzycrim

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Joined 17-March 04

But when I attempted to use ModifyPE.exe to compress a .bmp or a .jpg file for inclusion into the i386 folder, (fyi, I was trying to replace the default files for the wallpaper,) it only gives an error that it wont work with them.  Are you able to overcome this with this utility?  Does the .jpg and .bmp files not need to use the ModifyPE.exe program to compress them?  Mind you, I used it seperately and not using your program, as I have just now found it.  TIA.

*EDIT*
Also, will using the LZX compression actually benefit those files?

Compressing a bmp seemed to work fine for me, with and without modifype.

LZX will give you better compression than the Makecab default which is MSZIP.
Jim Roberts

DisabledTrucker

DisabledTrucker

The truck or you is disabled?

• PipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Joined 02-July 04
I dont think I mentioned that I didn't use this to do anything with the ModifyPE, I was just using the ModifyPE program itself, and it refused to work with all the .bmp's and .jpg's I tried it with, (about 5 of each). Maybe I was using it wrong, or didn't use the correct switches when using it, but I couldn't make it work. I knew that the LZX compression was better than Makecab alone, but I didn't notice much in size difference than using it alone when I was compressing them all last night. (About 30 in all.) Could be the files I was attempting to compress were already compressed quite a bit to start with being the reason, as I used Jasc PSP to assure they were as small a file size as possible before I included them.
Matthew 22:36-40

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the law?" And he, (Jesus,) said to him, "You shall love the Lord Your GOD with all your heart and all your soul and with all your mind. This is the greatest and first commandment. And the second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets."

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined 14-July 04

i would be interested in helping build the database if someone would make the gui part :P

I've already made a similar database, and I'll be working on the GUI (front end) soon (as soon as I'm done with registry tweaks lol)
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

jcarle

jcarle

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,579 posts
  • Joined 14-August 04
Regarding compression, I expanded and re-compressed the entire I386 for testing and I found out that EVERY single file is compressed using LZX(21). So I suppose compressing to anything else would be a moot point.
Posted Image
Posted Image

my2001

my2001

• PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Joined 31-May 04
Compression Bin

:) Nice utility, although I only needed to re-compress two files for my unattended cd and made this by cmd line. ;)

big poppa pump

big poppa pump

Damn Newbies!!

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Joined 10-September 03
A right click option for this utility would be great!

DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert || Opty 165 CCBBE 0610DPMW @ 3.01Ghz (335*9) - 1.52V, TT Big Typhoon w/120mm Panaflo
2 x G.SKILL F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ || BBA Radeon 1900XTX || X-Mystique DD 5.1 with/ Pioneer THX 1015TX
2*74GB Raptors - Raid 0 || 2*300GB Seagate 7200.9 NCQ SATA-II || 4*Hitachi 500GB 7K500 || Mad Dog Triple Format DL DVD+/-RW/DVD-Ram
OCZ GameXstream 700W || CM Stacker STC-01 || 2 * Dell 2405FPW

Senax

Senax
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 26-November 03

...I was just using the ModifyPE program itself, and it refused to work with all the .bmp's and .jpg's I tried it with...

It's called ModifyPE! Only PE- -> Executable- -> .exe-, *.dll-, *.ocx-...-files can be modifyed this way. There is no need to do this with bmp's or any other filetype.

Senax

Denney

Denney

*shrug*

• PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Joined 11-September 03
Nice app. I'll be saving this for future use.

I'm also working on an app switches database except mine will be online in PHP5 so it'll have the option for users to add their own switches.

Would be nice to have an offline version though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users