jcarle's Utilities

Might I suggest that you have some kind of moderation system for it so junk switches (or dupes) get weeded out?

At the moment, I have made it so you can browse a moderated list or a full list.

The full list contains ALL switches, including dupes & false switches and the moderated list is, well, moderated. :P

Now, to think of another util to make.

You could make a shortcut creator utility? (useful for people who put applications in $Progs and need their shortcuts in $Docs)

I need a bit more information to understand what exactly you're talking about?

Now, to think of another util to make.

You could make a shortcut creator utility? (useful for people who put applications in $Progs and need their shortcuts in $Docs)

isn't there already a utility somewhere attached to a thread, that can create shortcuts?

@Aaron

as correctly pointed out by Alanoll,

there is this little (22kb) standalone utility that can manage shortcuts and much more:

NirComLine v1.20

Copyright © 2003 Nir Sofer

Description

NirComLine is a small command-line utility that allows you to do some useful tasks without displaying any user interface. By running NirComLine with simple command-line option, you can write and delete values and keys in the Registry, write values into INI file, dial to your internet account or connect to a VPN network, restart windows or shut down the computer, create shortcut to a file, change the created/modified date of a file, change your display settings, and more...

NIRCOMLINE.EXE
shortcut [filename] [folder] [shortcut title] {arguments} {icon file} {icon resource number} {ShowCmd} {Start In Folder}
Creates a shortcut to a file.
The parameters:
[filename]: Create a shortcut to this filename.
[folder]: Specify that destination folder that inside it the shortcut will be created. You can specify any valid folder (like "c:\temp\1234") or one of the following special folder values:
/desktop - Creates the shortcut in the user desktop folder.
/startup - Creates the shortcut in the user startup folder.
/programs - Creates the shortcut in the user start menu\programs folder.
/start_menu - Creates the shortcut in the user start menu folder
/common_desktop - Creates the shortcut in the desktop folder of all users.
/common_startup - Creates the shortcut in the startup folder of all users.
/common_programs - Creates the shortcut in the start menu\programs folder of all users.
/common_start_menu - Creates the shortcut in the start menu folder of all users
[shortcut title]: The text displayed in the shortcut.
{arguments}: Optional parameter - Additional arguments to execute the filename.
{icon file}: Optional parameter - Use this parameter if your want that the shortcut will be displayed with icon other than the default one.
{icon resource number}: Optional parameter - The resource number inside the icon file.
{ShowCmd}: Optional parameter - Use this parameter if you want to maximize or minimize the window of the program. Specify "max" to maximize the window or "min" to minimize it.
{Start In Folder}: Optional parameter - Specifies the "Start In" folder. If you don't specify this parameter, the "Start In" folder is automatically filled with the folder of the program you specify in [filename] parameter.

Examples:
shortcut "f:\winnt\system32\calc.exe" /desktop "Windows Calculator"
shortcut "f:\Program Files\KaZaA\Kazaa.exe" "c:\temp\MyShortcuts" "Kazaa"
shortcut "f:\Program Files" "c:\temp\MyShortcuts" "Program Files Folder" "" "f:\winnt\system32\shell32.dll" 45
shortcut "f:\Program Files" "c:\temp\MyShortcuts" "Program Files Folder" "" "" "" "max"

that you can find here:

http://nirsoft.multiservers.com/

jaclaz

There are at least 2 ways of creating shortcuts like that. But even then I wonder why bother going thru all that hassle. I create the shortcuts the usual way, and copy them in my "%cdrom%\install\shortcuts" directory, and xcopy them all to the proper place during the install. Doesn't get much easier than that...

your exactly right....thanks...forgot...i didnt bother to download that .net 1.1...thanks

It's a good thing to have installed because more and more programs are going to be coming out with .Net required. Eventually, almost all windows programs will require the .net framework and it's going to be part of the next version of windows.

I just finished the NEW version of Compression Bin. In this version, when the application is first run it adds a Right-Click context-menu item aptly named "Send to Compression Bin" to all files. To remove this file association, simply right-click the main window and uncheck the file association setting. The file association allows you to right-click-send as many files as you want at the same time.

As usual, if you have suggestions or bugs, please let me know. :D

NirComLine v1.20

Copyright © 2003 Nir Sofer

OT: I have to say thankyou for this program. There are a LOT of useful features in this program.

I can now ditch half of my utilities and re-write my batch files.