zipfldr.dll RAR support?

XPero

OK thanks, I will try, but I hate opening third party apps to see whats inside a zip file. Maybe it slows my system...but it isn't slow right-clicking a zip + opening the app + closing it? it isn't faster double-click you zip folder and drag the files wherever you want? Maybe I prefer this because i got used doing things in that way...anyway thanks for your recommendation ;)

Basically what you're saying is you prefer the folder view for zip file's that XP included....

That slow's opening Explorer down quite a bit so it's off by default here on a 120 gb drive where i have so many zip's and rar's. Yes the rar can be added and i've looked at programming it but no i don't care to cause of the slowness it would add.

If you simply install Winrar and make it the default for zip and all it handle's then you will see the folder view on rar files also. Me I choose off.

I agree, with Winrar assosciated with RAR files, all you have to do is double click on the files and they'll open, the GUI isn't as nice as Microsoft's, but you still can drag files out of the RARed file and drop them wherever you want, so it isn't too much of a pain.

• 3 weeks later...

To XPero:

I want to say one thing about "shell programming"..... If you're not a programmer, don't suggest a way to do "shell programming". Anti-virus programs do not "just load a small dialog" when right-clicking their icon in the system tray. They load themselves fully into memory so that they can perform the function they were designed to do: SCAN FOR VIRUSES!

Second, adding RAR support to ZIPFLDR.DLL.... Are you crazy? That's some serious hacking. I have extremely serious doubts that such can be added to ZIPFLDR.DLL without the source. Talk to Bill Gates about getting the source code and if you get it, MAYBE you will have a shot at doing so. But, since you're not programmer..... I'd say zero chance.

Third, Get WinRAR (or some other program that supports RAR formats!). Use that program!

• 2 weeks later...

@XPero

Well, calm down. Maybe its just the fact that it is impossible (or requires too much effort) that is making the others say so. Don't take comments too seriously!

If there's someone who knows how (what you asked) it can be done, they'd post - until then, just stick with today's winrar. :lol:

i have searched google high and low for a shell extension that would do this and this post is as of yet, the best result ive found

the only way i know to achieve this is with Directory Opus 8

it comes with a rar plugin to view the files

you can copy from or drag 'from' and drop but you cannot recompress the rar

i can program VB and it is within my abilities to write a shell extension for this and i would love to BUT: i have yet to see any free software that can create rar files

im not interested in making a shell extension that can only read rar files (since i use Directory Opus anyway and i already have this functionality)

when i say 'within my ability' i mean that i could make an extension that would interface with a rar.dll

if there is a linux library that can create/edit rar files, i would not be able to use it without someone else first porting it to win32

• 1 month later...

Well hell, this thread at least gave me an idea - personally - just want the **** zip/rar/whatever to be open and I will worry about it later - I hate confirmation screens

So I just made this as the default for my rar/zips

"C:\PROGRA~1\WinRAR\Rar.exe" "x" "%1" "E:\extracts\"

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I actually searched far and wide for such a thing, to the darkest depths of google. No luck. But while doing so i stumbled upon a freeware multi-archiver called Zip Genius. It made me so glad to have found it that i uninstalled it, installed it back to the system directory and erased it's entries from add remove programs. It was so good that i wanted to feel it was actually part of the system. See for your self

http://www.zipgenius.it/index_eng.htm

• 2 months later...

i dont like this either in 2003. i saw this post and decided to devote 20 mins to putting something out there :D

i deleted ZIPFLDR.DLL from dllcache and system32

answer "keep" when windows file protection prompts (make sure your ISO or install CD isn't within access, or the stupid file will come right back)

right click on this INF which is attached

it will disassociate zip files with this dll.

reboot, the dll might be loaded into memory. either that, or use task manager to stop and restart explorer.

now, the task for you is to pick your favorite archival program and create an assoication with zips, rars, etc.

note that if you just associate an executable, it might just open the program and not the actual file, so you'll probably need to craft a clever command line within the registry to open the program as well as the file you have selected. i'll leave that for you guys, its late, i gotta go to bed :whistle:

edit: i neglected to state that this works in xp as well as 2003.

de_zipfldr.inf

Edited by fdv

• 2 weeks later...

ummm... that zipdir extention allways got on my nerves with the search function built into windows.

i had to redo a good number of zip files to rar coz they had a big number of files in them and windows search function wants to search inside of them and that takes time.

atm rar and 7zip is what i use when i want windows to stay out of my archives ( well i culd add passwords to the archives to prevent that... but the need to set passwords coz ur os is to poky... lol )

IMHO, your idea is bassackwards. The Zip and Cab file support offered by Windows XP is a horrible peice of bloat. Everytime you open a directory containing zip or cab files Windows processes them even if you have no intention of opening them.

It's another stupid idea implemented by MS Marketing people. If you really want to streamline your system disable Windows support for Zip and Cab files:

regsvr32 /s /u %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll

regsvr32 /s /u %windir%\system32\cabview.dll

Then install WinZip or WinRar or PowerArchiver or 7Zip. Trust me, you'll notice the improvement in speed.

he stole what i was going to say. zip folders is slow and terrible and i always disable it to speed up my system.

furthermore, a programmer adding functions to zipfldr.dll will do nothing if the program that calls zipfldr.dll (explorer??iexplorer??) does not know how to utilize those functions.

and another thing, to comply with copyright you could probably only add support for rar decompression and not compression. besides, does micro$ really need to put another company out of business??

Edited by ophiel