Guide: Mozilla Firefox Unattended

SiMoNsAyS

@Nologic, thanks for suggestions. i've rebuilt my own firefox setup and problem solved :)

@Astalavista, didn't saw it till today, problem is now solved but thanks anyway ;)

@hfrfc, download tut attached at first post. it will contain advanced instructions and some tips

@Simon

I thought I saw someplace in this thread that your latest installer creates a start menu shortcut that uses the "-profile defaults\profile". Also thought I saw as well that you removed the IE import wizard from being run upon 1st firefox launch.

I dont see a new shortcut and Im still getting the import wizard... was I mistaken?

Thanks!

@durex, i tried to create that shortcut but with my knowledge i wasn't able to locate it on start menu. if you look on %PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox you'll find the shortcut ;) . if you don't like it just delete it during unattended (del /f /q ...) and if not, just move it to start menu (move /y ...)

about ie import wizard i'll never said anything, also i can't do anything. that part is covered with the profile section. if you don't want to launch it simply export your own profile :)

it's amazing how intimidating this post is.

as a long-time IE user (all I have to do after a clean install is copy my favs), I am willing to make the switch, but I tried once, unsuccessfully.

I want a default profile, with toolbars where I want them, and no problems compared to IE (ex: extra plugins/extensions/whatever) needed.

Also, I remember a problem with the googlebar. in IE, you can type words into the googe search text area, and word buttons appear (which, when clicked, take you to each instance of the word on the page). I understand this feature is not in Firefox?

@a06lp, the way i see it firefox has more possibilities than ie, if you want to take advantage of some of them you'll need to place a few extensions/themes on a dir and run a batch that is what i do (isn't it easy?).

now you only want your browser with your favorites, as easy as download 1 of the first post silent installations and copy bookmarks.html to your profile folder. again for me this is as clean and simple as use xcopy command (the same way you would do it with your .url favorites).

now about googlebar, well, for me it sucks because most of its functionality is provided by the search bar on firefox. you can also select to search on google, yahoo, the imdb and msfn (!).

i don't want to make people move from ie, but again the way i see it, you can obtain a LOT without charge.

@durex, i tried to create that shortcut but with my knowledge i wasn't able to locate it on start menu. if you look on %PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox you'll find the shortcut ;) . if you don't like it just delete it during unattended (del /f /q ...) and if not, just move it to start menu (move /y ...)

Thanks Simon.. guess I missed that part... follow up.. what does the admin shortcut do? (firefox.exe /p ??)

now about googlebar, well, for me it sucks because most of its functionality is provided by the search bar on firefox. you can also select to search on google, yahoo, the imdb and msfn (!).

but the 'word find buttons' functionality - how do i get that?

Ok, Q:

I installed "Firefox 1.0 Silent Installation (SiMoNsAyS)"

I changed the link on my desktop to "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -profile defaults\profile"

I added my Bookmarks to firefox

I setup my Options

I managed my Toolbars

1) now I want these exact settings for each fresh install. what do i do to accomplish this?

just create a SFX of C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile, and extract it (overwrite whatever is there) on after clean install of "Firefox 1.0 Silent Installation (SiMoNsAyS)"??

2) do I need "Firefox Installation Settings" - that cmd file from the first post?

3) is there anything else i need to do??

4) what's "xpi" and "jar"?