vmware is this right?

dv8

Is this the right way to write it? I can t seem to get it to install.

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "VMware Workstation" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\VMware\setup.exe /a /s /v" /qn TARGETDIR="%systemdrive%\Program Files\VMware\" ADDLOCAL=ALL DISABLE_AUTORUN=1 DESKTOP_SHORTCUT=1 SERIALNUMBER=xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx /qn"" /f

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure about specific VMware switches, but I do notice a few things that could be causing problems.

First is and extra set of quotes (/v" & /qn"" )

Second is you have /qn twice

Lastly, the quotes for the path need a backslash before them

try this:

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\VMware\setup.exe /a /s /v TARGETDIR=\"%systemdrive%\Program Files\VMware\\" ADDLOCAL=ALL DISABLE_AUTORUN=1 DESKTOP_SHORTCUT=1 SERIALNUMBER=xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx /qn" /f

You can also extract the MSI from the EXE installer by running the EXE and going to your TEMP folder and search for something like "VMware Workstation.msi" (it have the advantage to skip extraction because it's already done).

Just rename this file INSTALL.MSI

"%systemdrive%\install\Applications\VMware\INSTALL.MSI DISABLE_AUTORUN=1 RENAME_DISKS=0 SERIALNUMBER=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX /QN"

For more details on the VMware switch

I have done this one time for a friend, I sure it work or just need a minor adjustment.

:)

Tried Kaspins code, thanks for the tip, but it didnt work. I put it in exactly like this:

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\VMware\setup.exe /a /s /v TARGETDIR=\"%systemdrive%\Program Files\VMware\\" ADDLOCAL=ALL DISABLE_AUTORUN=1 DESKTOP_SHORTCUT=1 SERIALNUMBER=xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx /qn" /f

Alas it did not work... just flies right by it, like it doesnt see it.

First, run the setup with "/A" switch in normal running windows to make an administrative install point. Then you can run the resulting MSI with the below switch (modify it to suit RunOnceEx):

VMware.msi /QB TARGETDIR="%systemdrive%\Program Files\VMware" ADDLOCAL=ALL DISABLE_AUTORUN=1 DESKTOP_SHORTCUT=1 SERIALNUMBER=xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx

Heres how I install VMWare

REG ADD %KEY%\017 /VE /D "Installing VMware 4" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\017 /V 1 /D "msiexec -i \"%CDROM%\Software\VMware4\VMwareWorkstation.msi\" INSTALLDIR=\"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\" ADDLOCAL=ALL USERNAME=Yoz SERIALNUMBER=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx REBOOT=ReallySuppress /qn" /f

Hope this helps

Here is how i have it now, and it still does not work.. what have i missed?

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\Virus\VMwareworkstation.msi /QB TARGETDIR="%systemdrive%\Program Files\VMware" ADDLOCAL=ALL DISABLE_AUTORUN=1 DESKTOP_SHORTCUT=1 REBOOT=ReallySuppress SERIALNUMBER=xxx /qn" /f

The problem (that is happening to your vmware install) is that you have used both switches for install - "/QB" and "/QN". You should use only one of those.

Also, let it install where it wants to - or specify exact pathnames - because the "TARGETDIR" property seems to be unable to use system variables like "%systemdrive%".

You can either change that particular one to "TARGETDIR="C:\Program Files\VMware" or not use that property at all.

Fixing those 2 things will make it install smoothly.

I'll take a stab at it. try this.

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\Virus\VMwareworkstation.msi /QB TARGETDIR=\"%systemdrive%\Program Files\VMware\" ADDLOCAL=ALL DISABLE_AUTORUN=1 DESKTOP_SHORTCUT=1 REBOOT=ReallySuppress SERIALNUMBER=xxx" /f

Hmm..... Not joking again mazin. :lol:

Yes, it is INSTALLDIR. But since I don't use it much (because it doesn't support environment variables, it only wants absolute paths), I don't remember it exactly.

This will work perfectly:

First, run the setup with "/A" switch in normal running windows to make an administrative install point. Then you can run the resulting MSI (alongwith the folders in the same folder) with the below switch (modify it to suit RunOnceEx):
VMware.msi /QB ADDLOCAL=ALL DISABLE_AUTORUN=1 DESKTOP_SHORTCUT=1 SERIALNUMBER=xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx

Discard the other single-file setup which you originally downloaded, its not needed now.

Also, let it install where it wants to - or specify exact pathnames - because the "TARGETDIR" property seems to be unable to use system variables like "%systemdrive%".

You can either change that particular one to "TARGETDIR="C:\Program Files\VMware" or not use that property at all.

When this gets added to the registry, systemdrive will disappear, and be replaced with the drive letter. So your concerns here should go away. There might be a problem when trying this with a command line, but since he is adding this to the registry via cmd file, there isn't a problem.

I think the best thing to do is just get rid of the whole property value, as everyone is mentioning.