capturing the Registry

Is there a way of knowing what modifications we are doing to the registry?

For example, when I deactivate the QuickTime icon in the tray, what is the value that changed in the registry?

I'm asking this because I want to tweak my Unattended Setup and I suppose the best way of doing it is by importing registry modification during the final phase of installation...

RegShot is good but you need to reedit the values before adding them to a .reg file which can be very long for hex strings. But I recommand it to everyone, it's fast, simple and free.

BTW registry freaks, I got 2 good questions for ya in my post here

Regshot

Values modified:4
----------------------------------
HKU\S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\TaskbarGlomming: 0x00000000
HKU\S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\TaskbarGlomming: 0x00000001

InstallwatchPro

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"TaskbarGlomming"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"TaskbarGlomming"=dword:00000001

Really depend's on you want easy or?

You can see the regshot monitor's HKEY_USERS but InstallWatchPro get's em both and if you know what you're doing, then you know you don't need the HKEY_USERS at all.

InstallWatch is 100% FREE also but with SP2 you need msjet35.dll at least version 3.51.3328.0

Oh well

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Advanced Registry Tracer - I can do without

The very best I've seen is Resplendent Registrar but we all know it's not free and the registry tracing suck's compared to the simplicity of InstallWatch Pro alkthough it does a good job.