I can take advantage of Windows Update of XP, can you?

wzperson

I take back what I said earlier about you being able to d/l from the updates site forever with what you have. I was just reading in another thread where there is a discussion about this and the gist is that M$ will probably defeat the crack we have soon and the same will happen with the retail version. The battle will be between hackers and M$ to keep the version undetected by Update. My answer is to quit getting change every time you buy something. Take that change and drop it in a jar in your house, roll the coins and in about a month or so, you will have enough to go out and buy a copy that is your very own.

Rick

:cry I can get to the Windows Update site, does the system scan, then says there no updates available.:multiblob Any thing I can change here on my end so I can see the list of Updates. Activation is ON.

-Chefde

Chris...did I miss a post where this has been discussed? Where did you find out that they are filtering out cracked copies? Winupdate has never worked for me except one time a couple of weeks ago when a demo install was put on and taken off. Probably was a bug that M$ put on me to find out which copy I am using...who knows?

Rick:hohum

Guest LouCypher

They'd probably block us and put up a nice anti-piracy notice or something. That's if they're being nice. Since they have the IP address of every access to their site and could easily correlate to the submitted serial number/UID they could just fire off nicely worded letters to our ISP and shut down access, among other things.:cry

It's happened before over supposed post to newsgroups of movies by the MPAA, it's not unlikely Microsoft could or would do the same. Especially since it's such a voluntary confession.

it said:load source file wrong, but i did exactly what it told me. I don't know what is wrong. after I setup office 2000, I have this problem when I open word2000, the same message turns on, but word works well. I install corp with chinese language package, and update option takes me to chinese website of microsoft. I tried english website the same error.

Windows Update is a pretty cool feature - but I am sure most of us have the options set to 'just notify' as opposed to automatically downloading and installing. If you cannot get the update site to work - you can always go to the download search site:

h*tp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp

Just select windows XP Pro as product and Windows XP as OS and your are good to go.

Also - there should be a corp update site for XP soon similar to:

h*tp://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/default.asp

or

ht*p://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/corporate.asp

This is actually how I like to view and select ALL Windows Updates. Cool thing is this way - you can also save the download to disk and use to update several machines rather that having to 'update' each one live.