Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Files missing during installation

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

park82

park82
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 31-August 04
Hey guys,

whenever I try to install a customized WinXpSP2 on my notebook, I receive multiple error messages. The error messages state that Setup couldn`t copy a file.

Here is a list of some files setup can not find:

cdaudio.sys
cinemst2.sys
cyycoins.chm
czcoins.chm
digiras.chm
dvdplay.exe
kodak_dc.icm
srgb.icm
streamci.dll
tosdvd.sys
tsbvcap.sys
tsbyuv.dll
usbcamd.sys
usbcamd2.sys
vdmindvd.sys
wowfax.dll
wowfaxui.dll
fsvga.sys
etc....

I have to skip every file to continue the installation. When I look into System after finishing the installation a lot of things like media codecs and battery are not properly intalled.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Is it generally possible to install a customized WinXp on a notebook?

I would really appreciate your help.

Johann

(Please correct my English if I made mistakes)

Some Background information:

When I create a normal WinXP Pro SP2 without removing components everything works fine.

I tried many times to create a customized version but it never worked properly.

I never remove important components. Only a few that are really safe to remove. (Safer than Safe Mode)

I never integrate anything.

I use a WinXP Pro Corp German CD copy it to my HD and use Nlite to slipstream SP2.

My notebook is an Actebis Peacock mobileAMD 1600+ with 512 MB RAM, ATI Mobile 9000, a Toshiba DVD Recorder and Dlink Wifi.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Jeremy

Jeremy

Casual Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts
  • Joined 24-June 04

When I look into System after finishing the installation a lot of things like media codecs and battery are not properly intalled.

The battery and the codecs things are drivers that aren't digitally signed. It's just a problem with Driver Signatures. Make sure you are using the latest version of nLite. This glitch was apparently fixed in .7 Beta 2.

park82

park82
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 31-August 04
Thanks for your reply.

But i am using the latest version. Any idea why its stil not working?

I just made a new cd. This time I put all the files that where missing in the previous installation in the custom file list.

When I tried to install the cd i got the following error: row 608 of INF-File \i386\txtsetup.sif is incorrect.

Please help me!

Johann

Jeremy

Jeremy

Casual Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts
  • Joined 24-June 04
Well, I don't really know...I haven't seen so many people report bugs with nLite...everyone's getting invalid lines or BSODs or whatnot. Nuhi has some work to do...

park82

park82
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 31-August 04
next try:

i made a customized xp cd with minor changes. see what i kicked out:

[Main]
Version = 0.98.8 beta
Framework = 1.1.4322.573
Target = Windows XP SP2 build 2180

[Components]
Briefcase
Games
Internet Games
Pinball
Isdn
FrontPage Extensions
Internet Information Services
Windows Messenger
MSN Explorer
Netmeeting
Arabic
Baltic
Chinese Simplified
Chinese Traditional
Cyrillic
Georgian
Hebrew
Indian
Japanese
Korean
Thai
Turkish
Vietnamese
Multilanguage Support (LANG dir)
Media Center
Movie Maker
Music Samples
Tablet PC
Tour
Error Reporting

[KeepFiles]
msconfig.exe
scrnsave.scr
cdaudio.sys
cinemst2.sys
cyycoins.chm
czcoins.chm
digiras.chm
dvdplay.exe
kodak_dc.icm
srgb.icm
streamci.dll
tosdvd.sys
tsbvcap.sys
tsbyuv.dll
usbcamd.sys
usbcamd2.sys
vdmindvd.sys
wowfax.dll
wowfaxui.dll
fsvga.sys
usrcntra.dll
usrcoina.dll
usrdpa.dll
usrdtea.dll
usrfaxa.dll
usrlbva.dll
usrlmnka.exe
usrprbda.exe
usrtosa.dll
usrdspia.dll
usrshuta.exe
usrsvpia.dll
usrv42a.dll
usrv80a.dll
usrvoica.dll
usrvoica.dll
usrvpa.dll
fetnd5.sys
enum1394.sys
battc.sys
compbatt.sys
modemcsa.sys
audstub.sys

[RemoveFiles]

[Options]
isomaker = -volid "WinLite" -allow-multidot -relaxed-filenames -allow-leading-dots -N -l -d -D -joliet-long -duplicates-once -no-emul-boot -b boot.bin -hide boot.bin -hide boot.catalog

as you can see I put all the files that where missing previously on the keep list.

but again setup asks me for exactly these files.

can anyone explain this to me?

pleeeeeaze

johann/park

Marty P

Marty P

• 33 posts
  • Joined 04-July 04
I also have some copy errors. Like tosdvd.sys. What to do about it?

Sonarcade

Sonarcade

• 14 posts
  • Joined 29-September 04
I'm getting the same exact problems. Now whenever I load windows, I get a hardware wizard bubble telling me "system" is found and i get prompted for compbatt.sys. This is with the latest .99.9 beta Thanks.

coldwind

coldwind
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 10-May 05
I'm having the same problems, with an XP corp install with slipstreamed SP2. There were a lot of missing files, but I remember I was worried about battc.sys missing, since I installed this on a laptop. The battery worked, but I didn't get any options or settings (the battery in the system tray).

D22

D22

• 40 posts
  • Joined 22-March 05
This seems to be a bit of a hit or miss problem on OEM discs used to nlite, I managed to get myself a retail copy of WinXP PRO and nlite'd it lastnight and the only problem I have is the setup hangs after the first reboot at the "Please Wait" screen, but back to the topic at hand. Before I got a Retail version of windows xp I was using an OEM cd and having the same problems, but some of my buddy's to whom i recommended nlite, tweaked they're disc with it using an OEM XP cd and they had no problems at all so it has to be something within the OEM cd giving troubles, I remember it was stated in one post awhile back that the OEM cd's use slightly different .inf files and nlite uses those to adjust your disc accordingly but when it does some things will not match up as they should causing the problems it seems that many of us have. i have found some temporary fixes but they do not fix everything, use ACDzip to replace the files into your driver.cab file that are missing before making the iso and it will fix some problems (credit goes to user "Power350" for pointing out that ACDzip can add the files ) but don't forget this is only a temporary fix, even after replacing the files into the driver.cab file you might come across more things not working correctly.

-D-

laza

laza
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 07-March 05
Hi,

XPsp2 corp, I don't use nLite to slipstream sp2 do it manually.

Use nLite to reduce XPsp2 corp down to 420MB no problems when install.

When I use RVM hotfixes and nLite to slipstream them thats when I get the missing files thing in setup.

I have no idea how to fix it.

captainamer71

captainamer71
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 19-February 05
:thumbup

Martijn

Martijn

It's-a-me, Mario!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Joined 28-July 04

This seems to be a bit of a hit or miss problem on OEM discs used to nlite, I managed to get myself a retail copy of WinXP PRO and nlite'd it lastnight and the only problem I have is the setup hangs after the first reboot at the "Please Wait" screen, but back to the topic at hand. Before I got a Retail version of windows xp I was using an OEM cd and having the same problems, but some of my buddy's to whom i recommended nlite, tweaked they're disc with it using an OEM XP cd and they had no problems at all so it has to be something within the OEM cd giving troubles, I remember it was stated in one post awhile back that the OEM cd's use slightly different .inf files and nlite uses those to adjust your disc accordingly but when it does some things will not match up as they should causing the problems it seems that many of us have. i have found some temporary fixes but they do not fix everything, use ACDzip to replace the files into your driver.cab file that are missing before making the iso and it will fix some problems (credit goes to user "Power350" for pointing out that ACDzip can add the files ) but don't forget this is only a temporary fix, even after replacing the files into the driver.cab file you might come across more things not working correctly.

-D-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have the same also, using a Windows XP Home edition SP1a CD (Dell OEM).
I can get it to work (if unmodified sp2 slipstream gives problems) but on my last install it also complained of some missing files.

paulcuk

paulcuk
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 04-March 05
i get the same error my xp cd's
what i normally end up doing is extracting all the files from the original driver.cab files into a folder but this normally results in errors and only copys like half the files so you need to go back to the driver.cab and select from were it stopped to the end and keep doing this untill u get no errors then I extract my nLited driver.cab to another folder and then copy the nLited files over the original driver.cab files then re-create the driver.cab copy it to the i386 folder and bobs ur uncle it seams to work for me not the best solution but at least a work around. :thumbup

Opps - Sorry guys didnt see the post above!"

erukian

erukian
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 26-January 05
I've had the same problem's since i've been using nLite...

I normally just open up the pre-SP1 driver.cab and copy the files out of it I need for the setup.

Please mr. nlite creator, me and a couple of my friends love nLite but hate how it's ripping out so many files listed earlier in this topic, it's just really annoying!! I love your work but this is enough to make me not even use the software and do everything by hand post-install.

-Joe

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & NTLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,390 posts
  • Joined 25-October 03
erukian, I don't know were you reading this topic carefully but you missed the part where we conclude that it's your CAB, it's corrupted...you can try extracting it yourself and you'll find those files missing.

Unless you experience some other problem then name your files.
http://www.nliteos.com | http://www.ntlite.com
Remove components and customize Windows

erukian

erukian
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 26-January 05
How can the cab be corrupted if the files exist on my Pre SP1 XP Professional CD?

EVERY time i start from scratch, download the latest nlite, then the SP2 network install from microsoft.

I copy the files off the CD to C:\XPCD then i slipstream SP2. At this point if I make an .iso image using nlite i get _no missing files_ but if I actually use nlite's features and try to remove say the language pack or integrate RyanVM or anything, it'll rip out those files listed earlier. I just can't see how that's a problem on my end.

I love nlite, but right now i'm forced to manually just pull the .dll's and .sys files that XP requests out of my pre-sp1 driver.cab and then drop them in C:\windows\driver cache\i386 so XP doesn't freak about missing files when i do driver installations.

-Joe

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & NTLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,390 posts
  • Joined 25-October 03
Do me a favor...integrate without nlite, then extract driver.cab to some folder
and sp2.cab to some other...check if you have those files missing in any of those folders.

Use expand.exe

If you confirm that these files are there then we can talk further.

But I'm telling you many people tested it before you and they confirmed that even without nlite it's messed up.
I wish it's nlite and that i can fix it...believe me.

erukian

erukian
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 26-January 05
I see what your trying to tell me.

I did as you asked, used expand.exe and yes, the files were missing.

I used expand like this "expand DRIVER.CAB -F:* C:\DRIVER" and it errors out during expanding.

I'm really confused why if I have a corrput driver.cab, then how come all my installations w/o nLite went fine? from pre-sp1, to sp1 slipsreamed, to sp2 slipstreamed? Do i have to contact MS to let them know my copy of XP is bad to get a replacement?

-Joe

rivimey

rivimey
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 01-June 05
I've also had problems. I saw nLite described in the latest Custom PC mag, and as I'm in the process of reinstalling my work PC, I thought it sounded useful.

Optimistically, I decided to:
- start with my MS original "Gold" XP SP1a disk, (OEM variety)
- slipstream SP2
- add a pair of new disk drivers
- integrate a bunch of hotfixes (about 12) relating to IE and Core XP
- disable a couple of programs: windows messenger, novell networks
- do a few tweaks to the registry and general setup.

Things seemed ok, other than not at first realizing that the iso file had merely been created, not written to disk!

However, the first time I tried installing, I left the PC to it for a while, and when I came back there was a message asking for the SP2 Disk for the file "asms". Ther's a directory asms there in the SP2 extract directory, but at that point I had no way of making it available and setup refused to carry on without it. :(

Following this, I found that the new setup disk would boot as far as disk formatting, etc, but although the new hard drive partition "booted", it didn't start properly - it fails very quickly with a long message about invalid paths and directory contents.

I checked the original driver.cab and the driver.cab that nLite generated, and the generated one has about 4444 files in it, while the original has 4657 files. The missing files seemed fairly basic: stuff like IP connections, atapi drivers etc.

Might it help to do the slipstream "manually"?

Ruth

P.S. My runs of expand.exe both went without a hitch; no bad files, no issues.

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & NTLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,390 posts
  • Joined 25-October 03
@erukian, do you have gold edition, i mean without any service packs...then just apply sp2, don't apply sp1 first.

If you have tried that already then I think that problem lies in that that expand skips all after error while windows during install expand file by file and by that you can get all files around the error.

Thats why some user had idea that i expand file by file which is possible and I may add it into beta 2...if you're interested in testing in 2 days, when i'll be done, send me PM.

@rivimey, uh, if your iso was too small, below 90mb then something was wrong, it would help if you try to make it again, use latest version and delete nlite before second try, reinstall it.
Did you removed any drivers...maybe your cab was corrupted too but lets not think that, your asms error is different. That shouldn't happen, ever...maybe sata/raid integration went bad...which driver is it...

rivimey

rivimey
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 01-June 05
The iso image was about 620MB -- seemed reasonable. I forgot to say earlier that I enabled the "recompress cabs" option.

I didn't remove any drivers, just added two for raid disks (which seemed to work, in that setup could see the raid arrays, and can't otherwise)

I did try again, this time doing only a xp sp1a => xp sp2 translation. This produced a 625MB iso. Sadly I can't persuade setup to load properly from that because it hasn't got the raid drivers, and won't see the USB floppy (Arrrgh!) It seems fairly happy up to that point though (can't find hard disks).

Pretty sure the driver cab wasn't corrupt, either in the original or in the created version. Haven't checked the others.

Dont understand about deleting nlite: why will that help any?

Must do some work now :-(

Ruth

CBC

CBC

Junior

• Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Joined 21-May 04
@rivimey

I think he meant for you to uninstall/delete you current copy of Nlite, then reinstall it and begin process from beginning?

holimkr

holimkr
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 07-June 05
GOT IT TO WORK

I found this forum by searching for some of my missing files. I'm just a novice user who was trying to do a fresh install of XP and got errors about missing files. I don't know anything about nLite, so this may/may not apply.

When I first tried to install, it was on an NTFS single-partition hard drive (12GB). That's when I got the errors.

I then reformatted the HD as FAT32 and the installation ran without a hitch.

I hope this helps someone.

Zincster

Zincster
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 30-May 05
Just for informational purposes, i have a retail copy of Windows xp sp2 corp and i am still missing files through the setup process.

Gouki

Gouki

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Joined 19-March 05
Try creatin another .ISO with the same nLited folder. See if the files missing change.

I dont it may not make sense ... But it has happened!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users