Files missing during installation

park82

Hey guys,

whenever I try to install a customized WinXpSP2 on my notebook, I receive multiple error messages. The error messages state that Setup couldn`t copy a file.

Here is a list of some files setup can not find:

cdaudio.sys

cinemst2.sys

cyycoins.chm

czcoins.chm

digiras.chm

dvdplay.exe

kodak_dc.icm

srgb.icm

streamci.dll

tosdvd.sys

tsbvcap.sys

tsbyuv.dll

usbcamd.sys

usbcamd2.sys

vdmindvd.sys

wowfax.dll

wowfaxui.dll

fsvga.sys

etc....

I have to skip every file to continue the installation. When I look into System after finishing the installation a lot of things like media codecs and battery are not properly intalled.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Is it generally possible to install a customized WinXp on a notebook?

I would really appreciate your help.

Johann

(Please correct my English if I made mistakes)

Some Background information:

When I create a normal WinXP Pro SP2 without removing components everything works fine.

I tried many times to create a customized version but it never worked properly.

I never remove important components. Only a few that are really safe to remove. (Safer than Safe Mode)

I never integrate anything.

I use a WinXP Pro Corp German CD copy it to my HD and use Nlite to slipstream SP2.

My notebook is an Actebis Peacock mobileAMD 1600+ with 512 MB RAM, ATI Mobile 9000, a Toshiba DVD Recorder and Dlink Wifi.

When I look into System after finishing the installation a lot of things like media codecs and battery are not properly intalled.

The battery and the codecs things are drivers that aren't digitally signed. It's just a problem with Driver Signatures. Make sure you are using the latest version of nLite. This glitch was apparently fixed in .7 Beta 2.

Thanks for your reply.

But i am using the latest version. Any idea why its stil not working?

I just made a new cd. This time I put all the files that where missing in the previous installation in the custom file list.

When I tried to install the cd i got the following error: row 608 of INF-File \i386\txtsetup.sif is incorrect.

Please help me!

Johann

next try:

i made a customized xp cd with minor changes. see what i kicked out:

[Main]

Version = 0.98.8 beta

Framework = 1.1.4322.573

Target = Windows XP SP2 build 2180

[Components]

Briefcase

Games

Internet Games

Pinball

Isdn

FrontPage Extensions

Internet Information Services

Windows Messenger

MSN Explorer

Netmeeting

Arabic

Baltic

Chinese Simplified

Chinese Traditional

Cyrillic

Georgian

Hebrew

Indian

Japanese

Korean

Thai

Turkish

Vietnamese

Multilanguage Support (LANG dir)

Media Center

Movie Maker

Music Samples

Tablet PC

Tour

Error Reporting

[KeepFiles]

msconfig.exe

scrnsave.scr

cdaudio.sys

cinemst2.sys

cyycoins.chm

czcoins.chm

digiras.chm

dvdplay.exe

kodak_dc.icm

srgb.icm

streamci.dll

tosdvd.sys

tsbvcap.sys

tsbyuv.dll

usbcamd.sys

usbcamd2.sys

vdmindvd.sys

wowfax.dll

wowfaxui.dll

fsvga.sys

usrcntra.dll

usrcoina.dll

usrdpa.dll

usrdtea.dll

usrfaxa.dll

usrlbva.dll

usrlmnka.exe

usrprbda.exe

usrtosa.dll

usrdspia.dll

usrshuta.exe

usrsvpia.dll

usrv42a.dll

usrv80a.dll

usrvoica.dll

usrvoica.dll

usrvpa.dll

fetnd5.sys

enum1394.sys

battc.sys

compbatt.sys

modemcsa.sys

audstub.sys

[RemoveFiles]

[Options]

isomaker = -volid "WinLite" -allow-multidot -relaxed-filenames -allow-leading-dots -N -l -d -D -joliet-long -duplicates-once -no-emul-boot -b boot.bin -hide boot.bin -hide boot.catalog

as you can see I put all the files that where missing previously on the keep list.

but again setup asks me for exactly these files.

can anyone explain this to me?

pleeeeeaze

johann/park

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm getting the same exact problems. Now whenever I load windows, I get a hardware wizard bubble telling me "system" is found and i get prompted for compbatt.sys. This is with the latest .99.9 beta Thanks.

I'm having the same problems, with an XP corp install with slipstreamed SP2. There were a lot of missing files, but I remember I was worried about battc.sys missing, since I installed this on a laptop. The battery worked, but I didn't get any options or settings (the battery in the system tray).

This seems to be a bit of a hit or miss problem on OEM discs used to nlite, I managed to get myself a retail copy of WinXP PRO and nlite'd it lastnight and the only problem I have is the setup hangs after the first reboot at the "Please Wait" screen, but back to the topic at hand. Before I got a Retail version of windows xp I was using an OEM cd and having the same problems, but some of my buddy's to whom i recommended nlite, tweaked they're disc with it using an OEM XP cd and they had no problems at all so it has to be something within the OEM cd giving troubles, I remember it was stated in one post awhile back that the OEM cd's use slightly different .inf files and nlite uses those to adjust your disc accordingly but when it does some things will not match up as they should causing the problems it seems that many of us have. i have found some temporary fixes but they do not fix everything, use ACDzip to replace the files into your driver.cab file that are missing before making the iso and it will fix some problems (credit goes to user "Power350" for pointing out that ACDzip can add the files ) but don't forget this is only a temporary fix, even after replacing the files into the driver.cab file you might come across more things not working correctly.

-D-

Hi,

XPsp2 corp, I don't use nLite to slipstream sp2 do it manually.

Use nLite to reduce XPsp2 corp down to 420MB no problems when install.

When I use RVM hotfixes and nLite to slipstream them thats when I get the missing files thing in setup.

I have no idea how to fix it.

This seems to be a bit of a hit or miss problem on OEM discs used to nlite, I managed to get myself a retail copy of WinXP PRO and nlite'd it lastnight and the only problem I have is the setup hangs after the first reboot at the "Please Wait" screen, but back to the topic at hand. Before I got a Retail version of windows xp I was using an OEM cd and having the same problems, but some of my buddy's to whom i recommended nlite, tweaked they're disc with it using an OEM XP cd and they had no problems at all so it has to be something within the OEM cd giving troubles, I remember it was stated in one post awhile back that the OEM cd's use slightly different .inf files and nlite uses those to adjust your disc accordingly but when it does some things will not match up as they should causing the problems it seems that many of us have. i have found some temporary fixes but they do not fix everything, use ACDzip to replace the files into your driver.cab file that are missing before making the iso and it will fix some problems (credit goes to user "Power350" for pointing out that ACDzip can add the files ) but don't forget this is only a temporary fix, even after replacing the files into the driver.cab file you might come across more things not working correctly.

-D-

I have the same also, using a Windows XP Home edition SP1a CD (Dell OEM).

I can get it to work (if unmodified sp2 slipstream gives problems) but on my last install it also complained of some missing files.

i get the same error my xp cd's

what i normally end up doing is extracting all the files from the original driver.cab files into a folder but this normally results in errors and only copys like half the files so you need to go back to the driver.cab and select from were it stopped to the end and keep doing this untill u get no errors then I extract my nLited driver.cab to another folder and then copy the nLited files over the original driver.cab files then re-create the driver.cab copy it to the i386 folder and bobs ur uncle it seams to work for me not the best solution but at least a work around. :thumbup

Opps - Sorry guys didnt see the post above!"

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the same problem's since i've been using nLite...

I normally just open up the pre-SP1 driver.cab and copy the files out of it I need for the setup.

Please mr. nlite creator, me and a couple of my friends love nLite but hate how it's ripping out so many files listed earlier in this topic, it's just really annoying!! I love your work but this is enough to make me not even use the software and do everything by hand post-install.

-Joe

erukian, I don't know were you reading this topic carefully but you missed the part where we conclude that it's your CAB, it's corrupted...you can try extracting it yourself and you'll find those files missing.

Unless you experience some other problem then name your files.