Error: Can not open registry key!

kagaku

For the last week or so, whenever I've played Battlefield 1942, I'd get an error that says "Can not open registry key", with only an 'Ok' option. The window title simply says 'Error'. For a few days, I thought this was simply a problem with Battlefield 1942, but then a few days later I tried loading Battlefield Vietnam. Low and behold, I got the same error when loading bfv. Again I thought this was just a problem with BF1942/BFV, as I assumed that they might share a registry key or something. Ok I thought, I'll just reinstall them when I get a chance. Well, earlier today when I tried loading up Final Fantasy XI, I again got the same error. FFXI has absolutely nothing in common with BF1942 or BFV, so that instantly ruled those out of being the problem. I then headed to event viewer, and found the following error:

The description for Event ID ( 2 ) in Source ( SCardSvr ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: scredir.dll, The specified module could not be found. (0x8007007E).

Before reading this, I was assuming the problem might be video drivers or even directx, but SCardSvr sounds related to my soundcard. Then again, I could be wrong. Can anyone help?

SCardSvr is a service related to Smart Cards.

Have you stopped the service called Smart Card?

If so try to open your games with this service started and try register scredir.dll

REGSVR32.EXE SCREDIR.DLL

I can't help you more, it's an error I've never seen

Good luck