Registry Tweaks

@illusions

I suppose that one's already in the attachment with the first post here, ain't it?

Anyways, reproduced here for your pleasure:

; Removes Sign up with Passport Wizard when trying to sign in MSN Messenger
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Passport]
"RegistrationCompleted"=dword:00000001

;Hide My Network Places

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]

"{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]

"{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000001

Good one! :thumbup

Thanks.

Updated the attachment, to correct what you suggest.

@everybody

If you have corrections to be made to the attachment, and you're sure you're right, then please PM me instead. The modifications will be made, and I'll add in the first post the most recent edited time. Let's not clutter the thread with required corrections, and confirmed modifications.

i think ppl should be aware if the file contains wrong entries, this way they can easily change it, unless u state that "these files have been changed" or something...

also there are multiple entries of the same reg hack like 1 will be in hkey_current user one will be under hkey_local_machine , they're correct 1 applies for the current user the other one applies to all new users...

Remove All Internet Explorer Add-ons

Remove All Browser Helper Objects

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects]

Remove All Browser Extensions

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions]

Remove All Toolbars

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]

@XtremeMaC

Please see the notice in the first post of this thread:

DO NOT USE THE ATTACHED FILE DIRECTLY - it is ONLY FOR REFERENCE. Use only the tweaks that you really need, and can understand.
That says it all.

The attached REG file contains tweaks for all types of things (some of which you won't need, some which could be dangerous for your system), and has tweaks to do something as well as undo it sometimes. Those who dis-regard the notice will only.....!!!!

This thread was only for discussion of the tweaks, that attachment was to have a set of them to start off with - so that the same things don't keep repeating themselves.

i haven't said anything about it,

i just said if u're going to change a reg hack in that zip file, i think it should be mentioned somewhere in this thread. unless u point in your 1st post that its been updated and this, that & that has been corrected by this.

I haven't said anything about using them all blindly!

Force DLL To Unload From Memory

XPero

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]"AlwaysUnloadDLL"="1"

IS Wrong

Create a new sub-key named 'AlwaysUnloadDLL' and set the default value to equal '1' to disable Windows caching the DLL in memory. Restart Windows for the change to take effect. http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm or http://support.microsoft.com/?id=196480

prathapml

In the reg file

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AlwaysUnloadDLL]"Default"="1"  

IS Wrong

Anywhere this in reg tweak file "Default" don't work out right see below.

EDIT: I only seen it this one place. If you import this you end up with 2 keys just try and see. For it to be default it needs to be @

This is correct application of default

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AlwaysUnloadDLL]
@="1"

Important This registry key is no longer supported in Microsoft Windows 2000 or later. http://support.microsoft.com/?id=196480

I still use it cause it do seem to work, that trying to delete file thing and it saying it in use seem's to work quicker with this added.

Edited by maxXPsoft

also, I'm pretty sure that

;-----
;-----  Disable Windows File Protection
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"SFCDisable"=dword:ffffff9d

should be

;-----
;-----  Disable Windows File Protection
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"SFCSetting"=dword:ffffff9d

Actually, SFCDisable is correct for a normal install of Windows XP with the original sfc_os.dll hack.

If you use MY hacked sfc_os.dll file, you need to add SFCSetting.

Difference being that the original hacked sfc_os.dll file disables WFP after setup is complete and mine disables it during installation as well.

Hey guys, my newest version with varrious fixes and corrections is here reg tweaks

hopefully a mod can update the link on teh first page. i will be keeping this file online until I get rid of my web site which is not anytime soon. If you want to mirror the file Please feel free to do so with respect please mention my name.

*note this file does not include any new tweaks contained in this topic as I have no have time to read through them yet. It is a compilation and fixes to teh first topic that was originally made.

When i have time I'll go through what you guys have talked about here and made it into version 1.3 of the reg tweaks file.

Oh yeah new stuff in teh file is a change log and version number so you guys can easily follow along what is what.

Mercury

;-----  
;-----  Remove All Browser Helper Objects
;-----  
;[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects]
;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects]
;-----  
;-----  Remove All Browser Extensions
;-----  
;[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions]
;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions]
;-----  
;-----  Remove All Toolbars
;-----  
;[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]
;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]

can you please elaborate on the above code please? You have not explained exactly what it does or examples on how it works to our benifit.

Everyone else. I am now done version 1.3 :thumbup It has everything from the first topic (that was 1.2) and everythign up to this point except the above code. If you have wrtten any changes in previous messages and not explain what the tweaks are, how they are used, why we need them or any usefull info at all then I have ignored it. All changes are listed in the change log. If you have posted somethign and it's not there then pleaes repost or e-mail me and i'll add it. Only posts that are valid, varrified, and documented will be added. A simple "Added status menu to bottom of explorer" is enough descriptsion for us, in the code above, why would we need to remove teh IE extensions???

MOD: if you wish you can post the link to the file on my server as well your own if you are mirroring the file (good idea)

reg tweaks

Oh, if anyone wants to look at the services list and make sure they are corrent and optimized i'd sure appriciate it. I heard somewhere that i've turn off a few needed services or didn't turn off a service that can go. *shrugs* i don't remember and I list the message.

hope you guys enjoy the fruits of my labor hehe. cheers c\_/

:w00t:

hey there i cannot open your link (host not found) it might just be bc of my stupid isp but just checking....

edit: ok now it works. (told ya its my isp :D)

I could provide a mirror if u want...

Edited by XtremeMaC

Mercury

;-----  
;-----  Remove All Browser Helper Objects
;-----  
;[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects]
;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects]
;-----  
;-----  Remove All Browser Extensions
;-----  
;[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions]
;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions]
;-----  
;-----  Remove All Toolbars
;-----  
;[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]
;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]

can you please elaborate on the above code please? You have not explained exactly what it does or examples on how it works to our benifit.

Well it simply removes all addons from IE such as Flashget button, adobe reader toolbars, Norton Antivirus custom toolbars and any other custom toolbars that get installed with different applications. Each of them can be removed manually (by deleting each CLSID separately), but the above code removes all at once. They are no longer shown in Add-on manager or IE context menu. It doesn't remove any needed active-x or anything that comes installed with IE. It just removes all the extra stuff. Don't apply these tweaks if you actually use custom addons. Note: browser extensions are extra toolbar buttons (flashget, messanger ..) Some browser helper objects contain spyware and others simply slow it down.