Complete Beginners Guide to nLite Unattended CD's

DigitalAZ

I read that, but appearently that guy wants the users he make's AFTER an install to be tweaked as wel.. so I explained to him wot he could do..

and sorry if I offended you in anyway :P but I still think tweaks are good for everyone and the default template for a user in the registry should be tweaked.. instead of the user tree's... :)

Fridge.... this APPLIES TO ALL USERS AFTER INSTALL :)

You read it but didn't read it hehe

Not offended just trying to be clear :)

Fridge.... this APPLIES TO ALL USERS AFTER INSTALL

I meant was.. when u decide after 1 week to add another user... u used HKC_CURRENTUSER tweaks.. and when u make another user after a week.. the template of default user is used... so u got a user which isnt tweak

I didnt read in the way u thought I read it but I didnt read it, but I did read it correctly :) u just didnt read correctly wot I wrote ;)

ur turn :P

Fridge.... this APPLIES TO ALL USERS AFTER INSTALL

I meant was.. when u decide after 1 week to add another user... u used HKC_CURRENTUSER tweaks.. and when u make another user after a week.. the template of default user is used... so u got a user which isnt tweak

I didnt read in the way u thought I read it but I didnt read it, but I did read it correctly :) u just didnt read correctly wot I wrote ;)

ur turn :P

Ok using the steps above if you create another user 54 days after install on your girlfriends birthday while eating a chocolate sundae during the afternoon in China while wearing a baseball cap at 45 degrees angle and hopping on one foot it will apply it to ALL USERS current and future. This step modifies the default user before it is created.

I just wanted to edit my post, I was surfing the web and noticed u were right, because if u make cmdlines.txt like this, there is no user.. so CURRENTUSER is the default template, I was wrong sorry :)

[COMMANDS]

"REGEDIT /S regtweaks.reg"

useraccounts.cmd

[edit]

btw if u can moderate this forum, delete our posts.. I think we confuse people :P

[/edit]

[edit]

btw if u can moderate this forum, delete our posts.. I think we confuse people :P

[/edit]

Actually I think it may help others who are having this struggle understand as they watch our quite entertaining banter back and forth! lol :w00t:

Phew my head hurts :thumbup:hello:

Heres a great guide on how to apply reg tweaks to every new user by default

http://www.dazdezines.com/simplify-it/Guides/guide1.htm

in short, you load default user\ntuser.dat into regedit, and from there add all the HKCU/HKU tweaks into it (HKU\CUSTOM) and unload, and there you have a custom ntuser.dat! :D

Place it in $oem$\$docs\default user and it will be copied to the right place automaticly :)

Maybe should add that to the guide? :thumbup

Might already be, havent read it in a while, heh :)

toe cutter, if u saw the posts here...

download the tweak package here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=27911&st=0

take the onces out that u dont want,

make a file cmdlines.txt, place that in \$OEM$ on ur xpcd

and put this in cdmlines.txt:

[COMMANDS]

this will make every tweak to the default user as well and is A LOT easier to do then that guide

AND some tweaks cannot be applied in default user, so ur guide wouldnt work, and this guide here will :)

if u wanna doublecheck this way

http://unattended.msfn.org

toe cutter, if u saw the posts here...

download the tweak package here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=27911&st=0

take the onces out that u dont want,

make a file cmdlines.txt, place that in \$OEM$ on ur xpcd

and put this in cdmlines.txt:

[COMMANDS]

this will make every tweak to the default user as well and is A LOT easier to do then that guide

AND some tweaks cannot be applied in default user, so ur guide wouldnt work, and this guide here will :)

if u wanna doublecheck this way

http://unattended.msfn.org

Yepp ive seen it, even read through ALL 98 pages of part 1 :)

And yes again, it might just be easier doing it that way but i think the ntuser way is more professional and easier to handle, all you have to do is edit the default user and if you want to try it out then and there, create a new user account.

Its a matter of preference, thats all :)

HKLM tweaks wouldnt work with the ntuser guide no, but i add them in cmdlines.txt since they are used as default values for new users aswell. (my theory is to add the HKCU tweaks in HKLM, but i havent dared to try it yet heh)

Still, its a matter of preference, i was just pointing out another way to handle the problem :)

pdf file missing some parts (dl'd coupla times in case of bad file/whatnot)

Slipstream clean/gold source to SP1a

If you would prefer to slipstream SP2 then continue to the next section of this guide. This portion covers SP1a

Create your directory structure (I create folders in working as preference)

C:\working\xp_source

C:\working\xp_sp1a

C:\working\xp_cd

xp_source contains a copy of the contents from your Windows XP Professional clean/gold source.

xp_sp1a contains the Service Pack 1a Network Install executable. (xpsp1a_en_x86.exe)

xp_cd contains a copy of the xp_source directory.

1) Copy Contents of Windows CD to C:\working\xp_source (This will be your archive and you will move a copy to C:\working\xp_cd for modifying)

The following files/folders are default for Windows XP (No Service Pack)

Nice guide!

• 2 weeks later...

hi people !

i made my own windows xp CD with nlite , and I used the lite mode to have a very light system :

the probleme is that I have no longer the language bar in the task bar ...

can someone tell me how to restore it please ? maybe it's just a registery problem ? or did I removed a service / programm when I choosed "lite" ?

thanx for your help :P

first, wrong thread 2 post your problem in

second, welcome to msfn :P

third, i think this 1 has been discussed, & it was a conflict between 2 things, check the "what not to remove" thread in the nlite forum, i think its been posted in there

first , thanx for your answer

second , i READ all the 9 pages in the what not to remove , and I never saw any language bar problem ... so is it "bootvis" or "Task Manager" ?

third , can you give me more informations about the "conflict between 2 things" ?

thanx again ^^